Author Topic: soft front forks, rear tire size question, handel bars  (Read 2039 times)

Offline riotmurdercity

• New user!
soft front forks, rear tire size question, handel bars
« on: April 08, 2006, 10:43:18 PM »
on my 91 b4 my forks like to bottom out on hard braking its pretty annoying, im thinking about putting in some new fork seals and new oil. any other suggestions?

also i got the bike and it came with a 170 rear tire (holy crap its huge) and the bike doesnt lean over tooooo easy, although its pretty stable i think i would benefit more from like a 140. does that sound right?

one mor ething, i think ide like to put some dirtbike handel bars on her, as long as they are the same size as stock it shouldnt be a problem right?

Offline Krautwagen

• Board Homesteader!
    • http://home.comcast.net/~jeffgundry/
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2006, 03:37:53 AM »
Fork:
Do the seals if they're leaking or have leaked all the juice out.  Start with the correct amount of fresh oil and good seals, then see if you have spring/other issues.

Tire:
Stock is a 150-70-17.  I'm running a 160-60-17 Metzler M1.  I like it.

Handlebars:
I'm running some CR bend bars.  I like them, but it's a bit of a reach for most people (I'm 6'4").  Grab some cheap $30 ones to see if you like the posistion before you spend any real money.  Clutch cable guide tube off the lever might be an issue.  I had to re-route the cable around the headlught bracket IIRC...
Dave
'92 Bandit 400 - parts
'07 SV650n

Offline riotmurdercity

• New user!
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2006, 01:23:12 AM »
cool, well im 6 foot 4 and im looking for a longer reach...and i think i may put a gsxr750 front end on the bike so i may hold off on the front forks for a little while and see what i can come up with. i definetly need a new rear tire so i think im going to go down to a 160/70/17 and see how i like it. thanks.

Offline Krautwagen

• Board Homesteader!
    • http://home.comcast.net/~jeffgundry/
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2006, 03:33:02 PM »
160-70 sounds pretty big.  I think 160-60 is the max of what looks, feels, and handles right.  Common size too, so tires are plentiful...

Doing new seals and oil in your forks takes only a few hours, and makes a WORLD of difference.  And seals and oil cost $20-$25...  I'd highly recommend it, if not just for the feeling, but also helping to prevent a crash.
Dave
'92 Bandit 400 - parts
'07 SV650n