Author Topic: To Buy or not to buy  (Read 2776 times)

Offline gxrkid

• New user!
To Buy or not to buy
« on: June 04, 2005, 12:04:51 AM »
Hey Guys I am new to this forum but very familar with some of the other motorcycle boards out there, let me start off by saying that my first bike was a bandit 600 and miss it very much. But here is the reason I am coming to you guys, There is someone selling a 1992 B4 on base and they are asking kelly blue book which I believe is $1800, But let me run down some of the issues this bike has. It needs a new chain and sprockets, a rear tire, it has been laid down on the left side, the engine cases are fine but the frame near the steering head is ground down, I assume from being laid down, the left rear passenger rearset is missing, the tank is also tore up on the left side some serious bodywork or new tank would be in order, as well as on the left side of the swingarm near the axle bolt there is a dent in the swingarm. The speedo says 18000 miles and some change. I currently own a gsxr1000 and have had four other bikes in the past, and usually stay clear of bikes like this but even though it needs some work and paint the damn thing looks sweet, or I should say all the 400's that Ive seen look great. So I guess what Im saying is how much is this bike really worth or should I just look elsewhere, and how hard is it to find parts. Anyone got any input. As for why I want the bike I want my girlfriend to learn to ride and of course Im gonna want to ride!

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
To Buy or not to buy
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2005, 12:20:55 AM »
Just my $.02 but, that's gonna be a tough bike to fix up  - at least inexpensively.  I would expect that price should get you a very clean one that isn't going to need several hundreds of $$$ to get it the way you want it.  There are parts around but you either have to be patient waiting for a seller here or on ebay or willing to pay for new.  OTOH, these little bikes do kinda stir something inside you and they don't come up for sale all the time.  Good luck!!
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
To Buy or not to buy
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2005, 02:47:08 AM »
I agree with everything Rob said. If you're gonna go for this one, it better be a better buy than book... ~$500 better.

JMHO  :beers:
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline gsxr400 racer

• I find things for a small fee....
  • Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • For all your disc golf needs...maybe i can race again someday.lol
To Buy or not to buy
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2005, 09:50:10 AM »
six fiddy is a high as id pay some parts are hard to find :beers:
1988 gsxr 400 sp (sprint bike)
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.
has been a wera expert #610 lol

Offline mtbcrazy

• TURBO TYPER!
    • My 1992 Bandit
To Buy or not to buy
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2005, 10:58:15 AM »
Hey!
I bid 1500 on mine, but ended up getting it for 1100.  You'd think that was  good deal, but after needing a new shock, new tires, full on carb rebuild, new brakes...  $2,000 in repairs and it is now a sweet running bike, and a LOT of fun.  But, worth $3,100?  I don't know.

Does the bike run?  Are you doing a lot of the work yourself?

These bikes are so short, and nimble, perfect to learn on and just a blast to ride!

Offline Zhi

• Board Homesteader!
To Buy or not to buy
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2005, 02:42:29 PM »
I would pass ond this specimen. The bikes is definately not worth $1800 if what you have described is acurrate. I would pay more in the lines of what REd01 has stated.
Z

Living and riding in the S.F. Bay Area.

Offline b4cruz

• Board Homesteader!
500 tops
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2005, 12:36:25 AM »
no way man with the tank & the front end as you described
its gonna need a lot of work and time and effort
$500 tops

I paid $900 for mine. it was dropped  too
and the tranny was slipping had to rebuild
but the engine frame and shocks