Author Topic: New B4 Owner  (Read 3208 times)

Offline Mthayes

• Board Regular!
New B4 Owner
« on: June 06, 2012, 04:57:42 PM »
iv had my bike for a couple of months now and it is my first bike.  i love the bike but i cant keep my hands clean on a new toy so i have some questions and some issues.  i searched around on the site alot before i joined but i still have not found what im looking for so i figure a 1 shot question page is in order.

1: once the bike warms up it idles at around 4k, then i have to adjust it down to 1k.  is this a comon problem?

2: when i really get on it there is a spot mid range of the rps where the rpm's spike (example i take off give it gas its normal then at about 6 - 7 k the rpm's take off to 12k)

3: i really hate the flopy dog ear turn signals ... where can i find the smaller one's i see in all of the pictures? or should i just find other short stem ones

i know ill have more questions sence iv never had a bike before  and i thank everyone now :)  :thanks:

Offline andrewsw

• Board Homesteader!
Re: New B4 Owner
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2012, 11:55:37 PM »
1. it does this every time? even though you've adjusted it? It shouldn't keep running up like that. Check for vacuum leaks. make sure you're closing the choke all the way, etc.

2. What do you mean "the rpm's take off". Do they do this without moving the bike any faster? If so, then maybe you have a slipping clutch? If the bike is moving faster, in time with the revs... well hell, that's what it's *supposed* to do!! :motorsmile: give us more details.

3. lots of places have various turn signals. google is your friend.

A

Offline Mthayes

• Board Regular!
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2012, 03:49:44 PM »
1: every time i start the bike i have to adjust it up (even with the choke) to keep it running then when it warms up it revs up to 4k and i have to adjust it back down (once its warmed up) .. i think with the age and milage ill just go ahead and replace all of the vac lines and see if it helps

2:the bike does go faster but its a weird pull, not exactly a smooth transition, more like downshifting and slamming it into gear ... its prob just me

3:i did find lots of signals online but not quite like the non US model ones

Offline andrewsw

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2012, 10:47:49 PM »
1: every time i start the bike i have to adjust it up (even with the choke) to keep it running then when it warms up it revs up to 4k and i have to adjust it back down (once its warmed up) .. i think with the age and milage ill just go ahead and replace all of the vac lines and see if it helps

I think that's a reasonable start. There's one.  :rofl: It runs from the fuel petcock to the intake on cylinder 1. Check over all the intakes and carbs, make sure it's all tight. Probably you need a good carb cleaning, adjustment.

2:the bike does go faster but its a weird pull, not exactly a smooth transition, more like downshifting and slamming it into gear ... its prob just me

Hard to say without being on the bike. Get someone else with more experience to ride it for you and give feedback. There is nothing very smooth about the B4 powercurve, it's sort of shaped like ___/ but still, it shouldn't be actually jerky.

A

Offline Mthayes

• Board Regular!
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2012, 02:27:24 PM »
so in looking over some stuff it looks like im rocking an orig 1991 chain and sprocket and they have never been cleaned  :banghead:

so im going to replace and so far i have found that i think it has a 525 114 link chain, so do i buy a 120 and cut it down?

14 tooth front sprocket and a 47 tooth rear (may be wrong im not looking at the post i was reading atm) how hard are these going to be to replace

and im looking for the parts but all of the sites i find suck and offer no real information ... so advice is needed

oh and i also found a rather large hose under the tank thats not plugged into anything but has a wire loom on it

Offline andrewsw

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2012, 12:28:37 AM »
If you're doing both sprockets and chain, it's probably worth it to change to a 520 chain. I understand the conversion is straightforward and the availability and pricing of 520s is much better.

A

Offline TJS

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2012, 10:23:21 AM »
http://forums.banditalley.net/index.php?topic=12993.0

Check this post and read all pages with pictures.
More Bandit 400 stuff on my youtube:
https://youtube.com/c/StanleysGarage369