Author Topic: New Tires and Sizes  (Read 2767 times)

Offline 1993gsf400

• TURBO TYPER!
New Tires and Sizes
« on: July 11, 2008, 02:02:53 PM »
I need to purchase new tires for my B4 and wanted to know if I can get a slightly wider and taller tire both in the front and rear. The bike is all stock but it seems like there is enough room both under the front fender and rear hugger to fit a bigger tire. Does anyone know or has done this?

I am also going for the Metzeler Sport-Tech M3 tires instead of the Dunlop GT501's which came stock on the bike. Let me know if this will work well.

Thank you!!

Offline andrewsw

• Board Homesteader!
Re: New Tires and Sizes
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2008, 02:34:00 PM »
There are many tire threads here. Be sure to search and read lots.

ISTM that it all comes down to preference. Watch out for too tall on the front or you'll hit the fender. I had a 91 B4 with a metzeler lazer on the front and it would rub at highway speed. It seems that the general consensus is you can't go wrong with a high quality sport/touring tire. B4's don't make enough power to need the super sticky tires.

I've always been a fan of metzeler, but frankly, I can't tell one tire from another when I ride...

Offline 1993gsf400

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2008, 05:06:38 PM »
I'll check out the threads prior to purchasing the tires.

Thanks!

Offline Herr Tod

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2008, 01:54:55 PM »
B4's don't make enough power to need the super sticky tires.

Speak for yourself... I'm using Bridgestone BT-016 and even those go sideways. The front tire is blue on the sides lol Only problem with these is the multi compound, they can go out of shape very quickly. A good all round tire with lots of grip is the Pilot Power, well proven tire. The M3 will spin on a wet road in 1st gear, not good.

Offline andrewsw

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2008, 03:46:10 PM »
B4's don't make enough power to need the super sticky tires.

Speak for yourself... [...]

yeah I sort of thought of that after I posted. I should have said something more like...

Compared to modern high-horsepower sport bikes, it's not necessarily as critical to get a super high-performance tire. Many reviews I've read suggest that people are quite satisfied with a more economical sport/touring tire on the B4.

Of course it depends on too many factors to give a blanket statement: riding style, road conditions, prevailing weather conditions, suspension setup, engine mods, rider experience, etc etc etc...

I've ridden pretty aggressively on my current tires: an almost completely bald Contiforce front and a squared off Kenda Cruiser S/T rear (complete with cracks...) with no problems. But I've also ridden B4s for a long time. I'm pretty comfortable with the bike and know what to expect.

The tires don't make the rider, the rider makes do with the tires? something like that.