Author Topic: newer gsxr rear shock mod. instructions  (Read 10315 times)

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
newer gsxr rear shock mod. instructions
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2005, 08:42:35 AM »
Jose - you may have said it in a post somewhere but, which F/E are you going with?
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline 400runner

• Board Homesteader!
front end
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2005, 05:56:19 PM »
I am going with 2002 gsxr1000. I have it built but I have run into some issues with the speedometer and the top triple. I want to be able to keep the sme speedometer and I want the ignition to stay in the same place. I want it to look as profesional as possible. (My thing). I will post it when I figure it out.
Jose

Offline Herr Tod

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2005, 02:38:23 PM »
Are all these shocks the same, from a GSXR 600, 750 and 1000? I can buy a GSXR 600 '01 shock.

Offline 400runner

• Board Homesteader!
rear shock
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2005, 03:53:56 AM »
I know that the 750 and the 1000 share the same shock. I am not sure of the 600 from 01.  I am sure that the 04 600 does.

Offline Herr Tod

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2005, 01:04:09 PM »
I checked it at my local Moto Shop. They said the order numbers are all the same for the GSXR 600, 750 and 1000. K1, K2 and K3.

However if I look into the Bitubo books it says the following:

GSX-R600 (K1-2-3) = 46mm Showa shock (8kg-mm)
GSX-R750 (K0-1-2-3) = 46mm Showa shock (7.2kg-mm)
GSX-R1000 (k1 -2 )  = 46mm Kayaba shock ( 7.7kg-mm)
GSX-R1000 (K3-4) = 46Mmm Kayaba shock (8.6kg-mm)

So if I were to believe Bitubo they are not the same, but who cares about those little differences. I'd rather believe the moto shop as they are Suzuki dealer.

Offline 400runner

• Board Homesteader!
They tell lies
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2005, 04:54:31 PM »
When I first started doing the research on this mod. I got alot of minor unnecessary details. The only thing you can do, is try it for yourself. I know that I am 5'6" tall and weigh 160 lbs. The shock I have used for this mod is a  02gsxr 1000. The bikes ass has raised the perfect amount and and it has not affected the steering at all. I am very happy with the look and feel of the bike. So if the  part numbers mach I think you have a good chance that it will be the same. Suzuki's, as I have learned are highly interchangeable. If you have any questions on the job I can help you work them out. I cannot say this enough.... The only way to know these things are to talk to someone who has done it or just do it yourself.
 If you end up going thruogh with this mod I can tell you that you will like the change. Or maybe not.. There is only one way to find out.
Good luck.

Offline Herr Tod

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2005, 06:48:52 PM »
There's a GSX-R 750 K2 shock on the way. To be continued :toocool: By the way, did you measure how much the bike got raised?

Offline Herr Tod

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2005, 10:30:16 PM »
Alright, I've done this mod. I still need to do some other work to the bike before I can take it for a test ride but it looks promising. It raised the bike like I wanted to. I will post some pictures that I've taken along the way tomorrow as it's about 3:30 am over here.

Offline Herr Tod

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2005, 06:59:38 PM »
Some pics are bad. I'll make those again in daylight.

http://members.home.nl/herrtod/Bandit/GSXR_Shock/7.jpg

Both shocks

http://members.home.nl/herrtod/Bandit/GSXR_Shock/4.jpg

Spacers

http://members.home.nl/herrtod/Bandit/GSXR_Shock/8.jpg

Doesn't fit

http://members.home.nl/herrtod/Bandit/GSXR_Shock/9.jpg

After some grinding it fits

http://members.home.nl/herrtod/Bandit/GSXR_Shock/11.jpg

Two brackets to hold the battery tray and the coolant reservoir. I've moved the battery tray back 40 mm.

http://members.home.nl/herrtod/Bandit/GSXR_Shock/14.jpg

The airbox is pretty close to the shock. The shock also moves in this direction. However we've jumped on the bike with two persons (140 KG total) and it wasn't any problem.

http://members.home.nl/herrtod/Bandit/GSXR_Shock/16.jpg

The centerstand made contact with the link system so I had to extend the rubber on the exhaust.

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2005, 09:28:37 PM »
Nicely done.  Thanks Herr Todd!

Can you elaborate on what you ground and how much?
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline gsxr400 racer

• I find things for a small fee....
  • Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • For all your disc golf needs...maybe i can race again someday.lol
« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2005, 04:26:57 AM »
What a lovely angle on that shock linkage!
1988 gsxr 400 sp (sprint bike)
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.
has been a wera expert #610 lol

Offline 400runner

• Board Homesteader!
what a shock!
« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2005, 02:24:55 PM »
It looks great, take some shots of the bike when you'r all done. I can't wait to read what you have to say after the first time that you take it out to the twisties. I bet you will be left with a permanent grin on your face :motorsmile: The extension of the center stand stoper is a good Idea.

Offline Herr Tod

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2005, 03:35:01 PM »
Took it for a spin. Even though I need to do a bunch of adjustments to the shock it's much better already. Feels like it's constantly pushing the wheel on the road, like it should, instead of caring about rider's comfort. It's also easier to throw the bike around, but I think I need some more rebound damping as the wheel tends to hop a little bit when I throw it from a steep left angle to a steep right angle or vice versa.

I also need to adjust the centerstand. I wasn't sure if it was going to hit the pavement but now I am... it does. I will try to bend the legs some more so it will go around the linkage. That way I can raise the centerstand about 15 mm's, which will hopefully be enough.

Offline 400runner

• Board Homesteader!
shock
« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2005, 03:49:49 PM »
I have  left the stand to rest at the bottom shock bracket. I have not had an issue with it. I assume that its because the stand moves with the shock. If you bend it so that it goes past the shock bracket it will hit the chain. Be aware of this. I weigh 160 bls. I have hit the foot peg but not the stand.

Offline Herr Tod

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2005, 05:18:11 PM »
It felt as if it was blocking the shock when I tried it with the stand against the linkage. I only need to bend the legs before the pipe in the middle. Not sure of this though, need to take a look at it tomorrow.