Author Topic: No fuel?  (Read 2557 times)

Offline doqq

• Board Homesteader!
No fuel?
« on: February 12, 2006, 08:45:48 PM »
yeah so i've been trying to get my b400 to start again.  ive checked all the spark plugs and it shows a nice blue spark.  It cranks but it seems to not want to turnover.  Im guessing its the fuel system.  whats the first thing i should look at?  I also checked all the hoses that hooks up to the gas tank they all look pretty decent.  any help would be great.  thanks

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
No fuel?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2006, 08:59:35 PM »
First thing to look at is to see if there's gas in the tank.
If there's no gas, then the problem is obvious.
If there's gas in the tank, smell it. If it smells like varnish or some other vile substance, it's bad. Chances are high your carbs will be clogged with this degraded stuff.
If it smells normal, check to see if fuel comes out of the petcock. Since it is a vacuum operated petcock, you need to put it in the prime position (if you have the mod) or apply vacuum to the port on the petcock.
If fuel doesn't come out, you have a petcock problem.
If fuel is getting to the carbs, but not into the engine, you have a carb issue and will need to take them apart to check them out.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline doqq

• Board Homesteader!
No fuel?
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2006, 09:02:15 PM »
thanks for the quick response.  im going to look into that

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
No fuel?
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2006, 03:36:00 PM »
Random thoughts...

Have you been working on it and drained the carbs?  Unless you prime the carbs well, it'll take forever to fill the bowls by cranking.  

Or... From your tone, it sounds like it might have been sitting for a while?  Like Paul said, you're gas could be crap meaing it either won't ignite or has gummed up your carbs.    

Not to be completely obvious but, you're sure you have all the hoses hooked up to the right ports?

The typical petcock problem with these things is a leak, not that it won't open with a vac applied.  Unless of course the screen in the tank is clogged.
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline doqq

• Board Homesteader!
No fuel?
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2006, 05:34:52 AM »
yes i did drain the carbs when ill pulled it out to clean it.  how long should it take  to prime up?  and yes im pretty shure i hooked up all the hoses correctly.  I have a service manual that has been guiding me through.  Im still thinking about send it in to the mechanic but that might be more money than i need to be spending.

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
No fuel?
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2006, 08:38:31 AM »
Are you priming with the "secret "petcock setting or just with the starter?  If just the starter - it takes about a fresh battery's worth of cranking!   :shock:

Secret petcock setting (in case you haven't read it here):  Take out the screw that is at about 10:00 or 11:00 that blocks the dial from turning.  Then turn to straight up.  That allows fuel to flow w/out vaccum.  A minute or two like that should be enough to fill the bowls.  

Good luck!
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline Maniac

• Board Homesteader!
    • http://www.bikepics.com/members/plan9/93bandit400/
No fuel?
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2006, 09:14:27 AM »
If you are going to try and prime the engine and are even remotely questioning the state of the carbs, do so with the airbox removed. That way if fuel starts to overrun the carburators, you can see it and shut off the flow before you fill the engine totally with gas.

2008 GSXR-750

Offline doqq

• Board Homesteader!
No fuel?
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2006, 01:52:27 AM »
SHES ALIVE!!!!!!  thank you guys!! runs with one push of the button.  = )