Author Topic: Non charging bandit  (Read 2137 times)

Offline mactat2

• TURBO TYPER!
Non charging bandit
« on: March 17, 2010, 04:46:24 PM »
Hi All, well now it's finally getting warmer it's time to start work on the 400 bandit i bought for the missus just before christmas. Not really that much to do on it, i've re coated the frame and swing arm in satin black, painted the bodywork in dark met blue. So now to the fun bits lol when i bought the bike the previous owner had fitted a new battery, new reg/rectifier and a new generator. Yet even with the bike running the battery would go flat in 20min or so? its had a twin headlight conversion fitted so all the wiring is bundled up under lights, could it be something in there? or a bad earth somewhere? also the rev counter isnt working, seem to remember someone mentioning a while back that this was common on bandits as the wire snaps where it goes round the headstock (think he was on about 600's) is it the same on 400's? oh its a vvc if that helps?
All suggestions welcome, if i can pinpoint what it could be rather than strip every thing i'd be a happy bunny.
cheers in advance  :beers:

Offline Chris H

• Board Homesteader!
Re: Non charging bandit
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2010, 05:12:29 PM »
Hi,
Thats one serious short youve got there! and should be easy to find due to the severity of it.
Say you got a 10aHr battery, it will supply 10amps for 1 Hr and 1amp for 10 Hrs, so in 20 mins will be losing 3amps- must be a near dead short!!. Using a multimeter set to high amps and with the bike off you would disconnect the batry negative lead and put the negative lead on the negative bat post. Put the positive lead to the negative earth lead you took from the bat and then come down the amp scale until you get a reading ( no reading=no short). Now remove and then repace a fuse at a time untill the short stops and this will show the circuit that has the short. You can then start to test this circuit e.g lights to find the short. If you find no short it could be reg/rec but seing as youve changed this id say its in the loom.

Offline mactat2

• TURBO TYPER!
Re: Non charging bandit
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2010, 05:18:19 PM »
Cheers Chris, i'll get my multimeter on the go this weekend and see what i can find? Once thats done thats the biggest headache out the way :thumb: i'll let you know how i get on?
cheers