Author Topic: Not Starting... RR? [Sorted!]  (Read 7903 times)

Offline Wudy

• Board Homesteader!
    • Wudy.co.uk Freelance Web Development
Re: Not Starting... RR? [Ok, it's not the RR. Help!]
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2009, 04:57:50 AM »
Thanks for the help, but have a read of my post further up (the big one, post #4, sorry it's so big but it helped to get it clear in my head too) to see my progress. Also checked all the fuses night before last to double check it wasn't them (previously just looked at them, removed them one by one this time to ensure their circuit was being stopped), they're all good.

I've checked all of those and they're all good which is why I'm resting my hopes on this relay. It doesn't appear on the non VC bikes so it's not in any of my wiring diagrams/service manuals (anyone have a service manual for the VVC bike??). And it's definitely wired into the ignition circuit.
I have also since confirmed that it doesn't have a clutch switch, came across a discussion about it on this forum when looking through old posts. The Bandit 400 only came with the clutch switch in the US.

Just about to buy/order this relay if it's not too expensive, or if it's more than i'm expecting I'll do some more testing and wait for Chris' readings. Chris; could you also unplug that relay and see if it starts without it?

Cheers guys.
- '93 Jap Import B4 VVC

Offline Wudy

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2009, 06:52:28 AM »
Update:

Whoops! I bought it! £68.62, wasn't planning on buying it if it was more than £20 or £30. Oh well, let's hope that's the problem then!

It's called a "Relay Assy Timer" with part no. 32960-33D00
Some other markings on there after cleaning off the dirt (just for reference): G8D-212S 'OMRON' 0423D2

Does anyone know what this actually does? As said before I assume it's something to do with the ignition timing, but how and why? And there's no information online about it, I know the VC is rare but this is just silly lol.

EDIT: Just searched this forum (couldn't do that while I was typing my post) with the part number and there was ONE result (plus my post). It seems it solved his non-sparking problem too. I so hope it works!
Thanks to everyone who helped .I found the problem it was Relay 32960-33D00 Up AND RUNNING :thanks:
Origninal (short) thread here
« Last Edit: August 19, 2009, 06:57:28 AM by Wudy »
- '93 Jap Import B4 VVC

Offline Chris H

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2009, 09:07:42 AM »
Hope it fixes it as i did'nt think you would buy one until i'd had time to post up some readings taken from my bikes relay. As you now got two you can compare yourself. It runs the VV and is part of the tps, cam sensor and oil pressure curcuit, relying on certain readings befor it will trip the oil servo at the top of the cylinder head. Ive had one go bad before and it gives the symtoms you are experiencing. I put mine under the rear seat and have had no problems since.
Chris.

Offline Wudy

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2009, 10:05:03 AM »
I haven't got it yet, it would appear I forgot to say it'll be 2 weeks :sad: (could've sworn I said it in the above post, never mind). On back order from Japan.
I wasn't planning on getting it if it was more than £30 or £40, but I figured that if it's not that then I might as well sell the bike, there is actually nothing else it can be lol.

Chris, if you've already done your testing could you still post them up so I can check?

I just found out last night that it has a TPS, I'm assuming the non-VV bikes don't have that?

Cheers :thumb: (still got fingers crossed though!)

P.S. How have you mounted it under the seat? I'll be able to come up with something but just interested to your solution, ta!
- '93 Jap Import B4 VVC

Offline Banditmax

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2009, 05:55:47 PM »
Hi Wudy hopefully this will solve all your problems. If it doesn't i will be back in bristol mid september and could help you out if you still have problems.
  Mike

Offline Wudy

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2009, 06:02:46 PM »
Hey Mike, I will be updating on here with the results when it arrives so we shall see!
Cheers for the offer  :beers:
- '93 Jap Import B4 VVC

Offline Wudy

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2009, 06:34:14 AM »
Little up date: The relay is now in the store i ordered it at. But i'm working all day, so i've sent my brother to get it sometime today (he's self employed so a lot easier!). Will update tonight on whether it works or not. Oh, and typically british it's started raining, so long for a nice warm ride!
- '93 Jap Import B4 VVC

Offline Chris H

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2009, 06:47:50 PM »
Hi Wody,
Not been able to post as carnt find my camera (thihk the 12year old may know) and mates got my digy tester. Ive used an old analog one thats crap and i get permenant 12v at the red and 12v at the red/white when the ignitions on, this should feed the orange when everthing is a ok and i think the blk/white is return via the cam sensors. The tester shows low ohm readings between r/w, bl/w and orange and open circuit at the red. Im thinking the red powers the relay and the red/w supplys the orange when the ignition is on and the cam sensors are set correct. If i remove the relay the motor will turn over and 12v at the coils but the motor will not run. Hope its this as if not you are right back at the start again.
Chris.

Offline Wudy

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2009, 06:58:37 PM »
She lives!

I had her in the garage, (in a semi-dismantled state, with wires not routed right after testing etc).
I did a couple of tests to make sure that the relay was at fault, and it was (there's a noticable click when the ignition is turned on, but not with the old one).
After working the fuel through she started to bumble into life (rather smokely, I assume this is because it's been sitting for a few months). Once it was idleing ok (still with some choke) I turned her off. Put the spare CDI in (one I bought that turned out not to be the problem) to check that it did actually work, and it still started so turned it off and connected my old CDI back up.

Then I put it all back as it should be, bolted everything back together, and rolled her out of the garage.
Tried to start her again and she WOULD NOT! Grrr!
So after trying for a while, I decided to take the tank back off, and a sparky out. Oh look, I don't have a spark again!
Switched the CDI's (spare on now in the bike) and she sparked again.
Put it all back together, again, and she started again.

Went for a lil ride and all was good. Was going gentle on her but she still goes well!

It would appear that my CDI had just died then? But it was definitely the relay at fault.

Chris: You posted that as I was typing mine. But thanks for those anyway  :thanks:

Cheers for all your help guys! :thumb:
- '93 Jap Import B4 VVC

Offline Chris H

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2009, 07:07:20 PM »
 :bigok:You carnt tell me nowt about the VV that i dont know as ive had one for 12/13 years now and ive had every problem under the sun and then some. Still love the bike tho. I wrap some bubble rap around the relay and then just put it behind the cdi and it keeps all the crap off it. Glad its fixed the bike and you can go out and scare some 600's. :congrats:
Chris.

Offline Wudy

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2009, 07:19:51 PM »
Haha I hope you stay around on the forums for however long I have my bike! Can't find anything about the VVC system online (in terms of fault finding etc).
Will sent you a PM sometime as I have a few questions (nothing urgent).

Yea that'll have to wait a bit though, still have to do my oil & filter change and I need to get used to her again.
Been riding my brothers Bandit 600 ('02) now and then, and the B4 feels so twitchy handling wise, and the brakes are so much better.
Needs a wash as well lol, 5 months sat in the garage has left a little layer of dust over everything. Will get some more photos when/if the sun comes out again.

Andy.
- '93 Jap Import B4 VVC

Offline Wudy

• Board Homesteader!
Re: Not Starting... RR? [Sorted!]
« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2009, 02:03:11 PM »
Woop! Passed her MOT with no problems today.

Forks are a bit stiff though, had a chat to the guy there today (he replaced a fork stanchion and seal a little while before she died). He's going to try a 5w oil, he put 10w in there before which is what he thought was correct from the info he had. Also going to replace the other fork seal replaced at the same time as that's not sealing all that well.
What's the correct oil? Any other reasons for it being stiff? He said they went together fine and operate smoothly.

Cheers.
- '93 Jap Import B4 VVC