Author Topic: Carb trouble update -part 2  (Read 2270 times)

Offline cadwell14

• Board Regular!
Carb trouble update -part 2
« on: October 26, 2009, 05:46:00 PM »
A week ago, after picking up the bike well depressed. If the bike hadn't had new tyres fitted, I would probably have advertised it for sale.

Fri -warm, dry & Sunny, so I might as well get the tyres scrubbed in (hadn't done any twisties before as the tyres were 13 years old!) and see what the engine was doing/not doing. Did about 50 miles, started fine, reved fine, idled fine, only stalled twice and as for going round bends :grin: :grin: :grin:.

Really didn't expect it too handle so well. Enjoyed it so much, I took it out with friends on Sunday. They all laughed and said they would see me at the other end. I'm no Rossi, but I wasn't having that! By the end of the ride, they had all had a little go and wern't laughing anymore, just grinning. Again it only stalled twice. Today had to go into central London after work. Lots of stopping and starting and again bike was fine.

What I've discovered is: if I keep the revs at about 2k,stop and then shut the throttle, she's fine. If I shut the throttle and roll too a stop, she sometimes stalls or almost stalls and then picks up. I can live with that for now.

Conclusion - THERES NO WAY I'M SELLING THIS BIKE.(happy shouting is allowed isn't it?)
Ann :motorsmile:

Offline mosquito

• Board Homesteader!
Re: Carb trouble update -part 2
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2009, 05:50:43 AM »
Ahahaha!  Lovely!

For the stalling, you should be able to just close the throttle and have it keep going.  When the mechanic tuned the carbs, did he (?) set the floats to the spec height?  (14.6 mm, I think.)  How 'bout the idle jet screws?  I'm wondering if it's just a hair rich.  If it is it should be better with cooler air temps and/or cool engine temps.  I'm just guessing with my limited knowledge though...
« Last Edit: October 27, 2009, 06:04:47 AM by mosquito »

Offline camarobandito

• TURBO TYPER!
Re: Carb trouble update -part 2
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2009, 10:07:58 AM »
Hello,
Those carburetors can be alot of great fun can't they? After I did my carb swap, I had a problem very similar to yours. It turned out to be a small vacuum leak.
That is the easiest (and probably cheapest) problem to check for.
Another thing is to make sure your choke isn't sticking.
Mosquito has some excellent suggestions also.
Good luck and let us know!
Camarobandito