Author Topic: Spark question  (Read 2781 times)

Offline red04r1

• New user!
Spark question
« on: November 02, 2006, 10:23:26 PM »
I am about to do the CDI REPAIR, but i had a queation on spark , when i try to start my bandit, it will only spark right when i crank it and the motor will turn over but no spark, turn the kill switch on and off, and initially 1 spark right when i try to start, and nothing but it cranks,  so is it the CDI?  I am aobut to check the coils and connections, , just curious if anyone had any suggestions.

Offline CWO4GUNNER

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • GUNNER G. CWO4 WEPS USCG Retired
Spark question
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2006, 02:12:26 AM »
There has been so many times during starting problems that visually it seemed to me I had no spark because I felt I couldn’t see it much less notice that it was fat and blue or weak and red, only to discover other causes such as bad spark plugs or crimped fuel line. So I have purchased a spark tester that gives a definite noticeable flash and noise to be sure. My point is be sure you are getting no or bad spark because for me its hard to tell for sure with the naked eye.

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
Spark question
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2006, 09:48:12 AM »
I would definitely check all your connections before breaking into the ignitor.  I'd probably even replace the plug leads first (they are notorious for being crap after all these years).  Are you getting the same result on all cylinders?  If so, then I would be more inclined to guess CDI.
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline gsxr400 racer

• I find things for a small fee....
  • Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • For all your disc golf needs...maybe i can race again someday.lol
Spark question
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2006, 06:15:30 PM »
huh what year bike? how many wires to the little plug on the cdi?
1988 gsxr 400 sp (sprint bike)
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.
has been a wera expert #610 lol

Offline gsxr400 racer

• I find things for a small fee....
  • Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • For all your disc golf needs...maybe i can race again someday.lol
Spark question
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2006, 12:42:08 AM »
FYI people if your plugs look like this they may spark and they may start the bike but you will have eratic idling and hard starts! This is fouled.

1988 gsxr 400 sp (sprint bike)
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.
has been a wera expert #610 lol

Offline red04r1

• New user!
spark
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2006, 02:34:49 PM »
I have checked all the connections and cleaned everything and even added dielectric grease, Yes i can see the initial 1 spark, and originally it was on all 4 plugs, now just 1-3 so i think a coil may have gone out in the process of testing or the plug cap which i will change out along with new plugs,  but its odd how it gets 1 solid spark then none and keeps cranking and no spark. now that you mention it i do have a spark test to to try out as well..  I'll keep you posted.