Author Topic: Cylinder head gasket for GSF250v 1995  (Read 5171 times)

Offline kznbro2

• New user!
Cylinder head gasket for GSF250v 1995
« on: June 30, 2013, 07:27:23 PM »
Hi All,
Well my bandit 250 is nearly ready now. The b....r fought the whole way :annoy:! The latest is the head gasket. I have been searching the web & local outlets for weeks now with no success. I did find a gasket in April but it is for the GJ74 and the GJ77A has a different size on the timing chain so it's a no-go :banghead:. I heard I could reuse the gasket if I removed the black coating and redid it with 2K black. Easier said than done! The existing coating appears to be a thermoset resin (or similar) and conventional automotive paint strippers can't lift it.

The question: Does anyone know where I can buy a gasket SGP 11141-11D50?
 Rider to the question: Alternately; does anyone know how to get the black Suzuki coating off without damage to the metal gasket.

I looked into a laser cut replacement and the tooling cost was USD160 but then the material minimum thickness they could do was 1.5mm. The existing gasket is 0.2mm! :rant2:

I really hope someone has some help as this is the last hurdle to getting the 1/4L Bandit burning gas again.
Cheers. .
Pete.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 10:43:09 AM by kznbro2 »

Offline kznbro2

• New user!
Re: Cylinder head gasket for GSF250v 1995
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2013, 01:00:09 PM »
The Bandit started today with no water in, just to see if it ran. We put water in and ... No start!  :banghead: Tore the head off again and found water in 2,3,4 cylinders. so I really do need a head gasket. We had painted the gasket with black 2K as recommended and were expecting a reasonable gas seal and no problems with the water seal. No Such Luck!.

I really find it hard to believe that nobody has had to change a head gasket on one of these bandits as this gasket fits all late 1995 through to 200 models!

Well tomorrow I go & buy some 0.8mm copper & cut a plain annealed copper gasket; as seen on early Austins, Morris's & MG's. Seems a let-down for a high performance engine!

Oh well! if it works ok; the bike doesn't mind.

:annoy: no gaskets anywhere mumble :duh: mumble moan. Even tried JDM :annoy:

Cheers.
Pete.

Offline kznbro2

• New user!
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2013, 06:12:28 AM »
Another update. The guys where the copper sheet came from put me in contact with a water jet company here. I went there and they are cutting the gasket now so I should have it this week end.  :thumb: The owner of the water jet place showed me some other gaskets that they had cut for other vehicles. Beautiful! He also told me that they get a number of local race engine builders ordering copper gaskets because they perform better on high performance motors.  :beers: So; maybe soon to make noise & breeze down the road  :motorsmile:

Cheers
Pete.

Offline kznbro2

• New user!
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2013, 01:25:48 PM »
The story continues!  :duh: It turns out it wasn't the gasket leaking but one of the new barrels I had made that slipped down by 5 thou (#3 cylinder) which caused the barrel to fill with water when the radiator was filled.   :annoy: The machine shop has the cylinder block now to re-face the top & while they are at it, the base too. They will tell me how much was taken off so that I can get a base gasket packing made up; if needed.

I hope it turns out to be worth it in pleasurable rides :thumb:

Cheers.
Pete.