Author Topic: Bandit 400 as first project bike?  (Read 3108 times)

Offline J-Raud

• New user!
Bandit 400 as first project bike?
« on: August 23, 2005, 04:29:44 PM »
Smack me if this ain't in the right place.

Well, I've kinda fallen in love with the B4.  I'm currently riding a Marauder 800 (second bike, up from a zillion miles riding my Virago 250 to and from college), but I almost bought a B6 instead.  What turned me off about it was that I have a long driveway that's gravel and straight downhill, and since I couldn't flatfoot the Bandit (I have short legs), I was a little wary of trying to ride it down when rain's washed all the gravel out in big ruts.

However, I'm thinking about trying to find a B4 and using it to get myself a little more competent about the inner workings of a bike (and also painting and stuff), since these forums seem pretty much entirely about fixing them and making them run.  Is this a good bike to do that with, or should I just forget about it?  I'm not mechanically-inclined at all, as far as I know, but that's why I want to try.  The Marauder's an '03, so it's pretty sound, and I don't really have to do anything to it.  

Also, how much of a "fixer-upper" should I go looking for?  I don't want something that's cosmetically perfect, since I do plan on repainting the thing, and I would feel guilty about repainting a purty bike...but if it's impossible to get non-running ones running again without a degree in automotive technology and spending a fortune, should I just concentrate on ones in good condition that already run well?  As much as I'd like to learn about wrenching, I'd also like to be able to ride it eventually...I'm NOT getting rid of the Marauder (my main commuter vehicle) either way, so this would just be a secondary sort of ride for weekends and stuff.

Offline Maniac

• Board Homesteader!
    • http://www.bikepics.com/members/plan9/93bandit400/
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2005, 04:42:40 PM »
Hey J-Raud, welcome aboard!  :beers:

The biggest problem with the Bandit 400 is the fact that they haven't been imported into the States since 1993 (assuming thats where you are). Parts are fairly hard to come by anymore, which is why a lot of us have made it our business to see what else will fit on there.

More than likely if you find one in non-running condition it will have one of two problems, if not both. Either the carburators will be gummed up and filthy, or there will be an electrical fault. The electrical problem is the worst, since if the Digital Ignition Box is fried, you are in a lot of trouble. Some people have had decent luck repairing them, but it seems to be a 50/50 chance. The carburators are a lot of fun as well, since they are also not particularly easy to get parts for and there are just some shops who will refuse to touch them.

As for the engines themselves, they are fairly reliable. Most problems you'll run across can be summed up as either carburation or electrical. Of course, before purchasing you'll want to get a compression test on the bike if at all possible.

Probally your best bet is to find a bike with decent compression, a wiring harness that doesn't look like a rats nest of mismatched cables, and spark. Compression and spark will be the most difficult to check for, you'll need a compression gauge. Luckily, since the sparkplug has to come out to screw the gauge in, you can also check spark at this time. Bring your own known-good plug!

Other than that, the standard stuff applies. Check the brakes, look for anything that appears to be leaking, check inside the gas tank for rust (which you -will- find, the question is going to be 'is it fixable' here), and the like.

Honestly, your best bet will be to find one thats cosmetically rough, but runs. Since you are looking for a project bike, don't fear leaky suspensions! There are plenty that will fit on there as 'upgrades'  :grin:

2008 GSXR-750

Offline J-Raud

• New user!
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2005, 09:49:39 PM »
Wow, cool!  Thanks for all the advice!   :grin:  That's really helpful to me!  :thanks:

I think probably the biggest issue I'm going to run into, then, is actually finding somebody who doesn't want their running Bandit (ie, a crazyperson  :lol: ) that's close enough for me to have a look at.  I live in the midwest, and the nearest big city is St. Louis...which is 2 hours away.  

Like, I guess I could always find one someplace and then pay to have it shipped, but I'm a little hesitant about buying stuff sight unseen (especially from ebay.  My little bro is trying to buy car stereo stuff right now, and he was told that his subwoofer was "destroyed" when the "UPS truck crashed."  Makes me wonder a little...)...and since this would be a 12+ year old bike, I'd really like to see it in person before I buy it.

Because there was such a small importation window, this is probably gonna pretty hard, huh?  Oh well...I'm not in a huge, huge hurry.  Even just looking for motorcycle stuff is fun, in my opinion.   :banana:

Offline Maniac

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2005, 10:12:40 PM »
Quote from: "J-Raud"
Like, I guess I could always find one someplace and then pay to have it shipped, but I'm a little hesitant about buying stuff sight unseen (especially from ebay...)

Yeah, sometimes you can get good deals... sometimes not so much. One of our regulars bought his Bandit 400 off Ebay for, I believe, $1500. The bike was supposedly in great condition. Something like $2000 later, it is.  :wink:

Just keep an eye out on the forums, Craigslist is good too, and get a Cycletrader! They pop up from time to time, there is one on Cycletrader's website in Columbus right now for $2100.

Don't totally discount Ebay, though. It's become a great source of parts. Maybe you'll get lucky and someone local will post a bike you can go look at.  :grin:

2008 GSXR-750

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2005, 10:57:32 PM »
Hey J-Raud, :welcome:

Maniac hit the things to look for pretty well.  

If we knew where in this world you are, we might be able to keep our eyes out for you.  In fact, I know one near me that will probably be for sale soon.

Good luck!
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline Maniac

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2005, 01:17:08 AM »
Quote from: "PitterB4"
In fact, I know one near me that will probably be for sale soon.

:shock:

You aren't selling out, are you?

2008 GSXR-750

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2005, 08:35:20 AM »
Quote from: "Maniac"
Quote from: "PitterB4"
In fact, I know one near me that will probably be for sale soon.

:shock:

You aren't selling out, are you?

Not unless you know of some magical place that's giving away late-model, liter-class , naked sportbikes like a B12, Superhawk, Speed Trip, FZ1, SV1K   :duh: ....

There's a guy from a local board I'm on that contacted me about his brother who's selling a B4.  I'm actually thinking of picking it up myself to fix up and sell.  That might not fly with the missus, though.  Come to think of it.....   :duh:
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline cdyer77

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2005, 10:58:28 AM »
Hey Rob, I know one thats for sale, you may have seen it before, (In my garage!)
1990 Bandit 400 - Now Parting Out - What do you need???
1999 Honda VTR 1000 - SOLD
2001 GSXR 600 - Track Bike
Reduc #177
Team Pro Motion #177

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2005, 12:29:00 PM »
That piece of....   :lol:  I'd love to have the Super Chicken.

The key to my post was "giving away", though.  Feeling charitable???

BTW - if anyone is interested, check this thread for the bike I was talking about.
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7