Author Topic: Petcock options..  (Read 3407 times)

Offline tomacGTi

• Board Homesteader!
Petcock options..
« on: January 14, 2007, 02:58:53 PM »
Since the bike is down for it's long winter's nap, this time around I drained the tank completely to possibly de-Kreem it (since it was flaking off) and was looking into a new petcock.

A couple of things: you cannot rebuild the B4 petcock, you can remove the valve and clean it but you can't get to the diaphram which is the common failure point. I thought about adapting a B12 petcock to keep it all stock and rebuildable (Sudco stocks rebuild parts as well as being able to find them on FleaBay) but decided against. Another option would be the SV's petcock which is more of a vacuum switch; there are no on/off reserve options.

What prompted this? On the final ride of the year when it was 70+* outside, I noticed the bike had a bit of a hiccup on hard, extended full throttle acceleration. After looking over everything, I determined the fuel level, vacuum signal and hose routing were more to blame. Research ensued...

Pingels are expensive! Plan on spending about +$80 for one with the proper adapter. For those who cannot find the proper one, the one I was thinking about was the 6210 and the 1620c adapter. The 6210 has no reserve and is on-off only. You're on your own to plug the vacuum bung on the #1 cylinder tract. The 6211 has on/off/reserve function. Also, you have to file the slot slightly to get the larger filter through the opening.

http://www.motorcyclecarbs.com/PETCOCK_REPLACEMENT_KIT_34mm__P9690C691.cfm

This is another option. I'm not sure if it flows as much as the Pingle, but I'm sure it's as much if not more than stock. The bonus is that you have to do some slight filing but no adapter and no issues with the valve moving when activating the lever (apparantly a common problem with the 3/8thNPT on the Pingel). It also comes with a vacuum cap. I'm leaning towards this one simply on simplicity standpoint.

I haven't made up my mind as what to do just yet but thought I would show some options that we all have.

-Randy[/url]

Offline gsxr400 racer

• I find things for a small fee....
  • Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • For all your disc golf needs...maybe i can race again someday.lol
Petcock options..
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2007, 03:16:39 PM »
I have the pingle and there is a adaptor plate that fits right on i think it is for older gsxr's and i also think that some older gsxr petcocks fit to. But as ive made a computer booboo and wiped out most well all my old pics and all my good info but what i have posted on forums your on your own to research.
cheers

Pingle has a saying to " Pass more gas" and do they ever
1988 gsxr 400 sp (sprint bike)
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.
has been a wera expert #610 lol

Offline jcmjrt

• Board Homesteader!
Petcock options..
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2007, 12:59:24 PM »
Let us know what you do and how it works out for you. Pics are always nice too.

Offline tomacGTi

• Board Homesteader!
Petcock options..
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2007, 03:04:53 PM »
Just did the Pingel and installed it. Piece of cake.

Besides the obvious clearancing of the fuel inlet, installation was a snap. No pictures as of yet as the tank is in the basement and the bike is outside under a cover for the winter but really no real rocket science involved.

If you plan on the Pingel route, I can advise you to use a Dremel tool and a carbide bit and use a shop-vac near the tool to catch the cast-off material. This will get 99% of the stuff flying off from settling inside of the tank.

Also, test fit the valve to the adapter plate beforehand to make sure the valve is clocked correctly. If not, when you install the plate onto the tank and the valve onto the plate, it can face the wrong direction. Since it is a pipe-thread fitting, it will tighten and not rotate further. The good folks at Pingel include a small packet of hylomar to seal everything together. You'll also need some teflon tape for the valve threads.

You can also pre-assemble everything but make sure you have a ball-ended 5mm to tighten the fittings down onto the tank.

Here's what you would need to order from Pingel if you went the same route as I:

-6210 Valve
-1602c Adapter plate

If you choose to have reserve: 6211

-Randy

Offline gsxr400 racer

• I find things for a small fee....
  • Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • For all your disc golf needs...maybe i can race again someday.lol
Petcock options..
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2007, 04:02:15 PM »
when the base plate starts leaking talk to me :stickpoke:  And a big drill bit works faster to open the whole up a bit!
1988 gsxr 400 sp (sprint bike)
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.
has been a wera expert #610 lol