Author Topic: gimme some things to check here....  (Read 3507 times)

Offline sclay115

• Board Homesteader!
gimme some things to check here....
« on: November 08, 2006, 07:12:38 PM »
I just rebuilt the carbs on my 92 B4, replaced all the o-rings, bowl gaskets. And now after reassembly, it won't run, at all. This is almost identical to my problem that i posted about several weeks ago, being that i have spark, and fuel and the float bowls, just not everything happening in a harmonic fashion. I was wondering if the mixture screws could play a role in this, they are set at the suggested 2.5 out, but would that cause a no start if they are incorrect? It's aggravating to go through the whole thing and not really accomplish much...anybody have any ideas?

Steve
"When people who should have known better cautioned me about the dangers of motorcycle racing, I always told them that a fear of death is nothing more than a fear of life in disguise."

--Nick Voge

Offline tomacGTi

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2006, 07:41:49 PM »
I just did the same for mine since it was raining all day today.

I used some starting fluid to kick it over since the entire circuit was dry. I did this after putting the petcock to prime and checked to see that the bowls were filling with fuel.

The little bit of "help" went a long way as it kicked over on it's own after the little fire up it's nose. Make sure you re-synch afterwards for the full effect.

-Randy

Offline sclay115

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2006, 07:44:26 PM »
I was definately considering that, but the plugs show that i'm getting fuel, I probably didn't mention that up there. Would it still be suggested to try the starter fluid?

Steve
"When people who should have known better cautioned me about the dangers of motorcycle racing, I always told them that a fear of death is nothing more than a fear of life in disguise."

--Nick Voge

Offline Herr Tod

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2006, 07:46:19 PM »
Does it start on the choke? If it does there is probably something wrong with the pilot circuit. Then I would open up the mixture screws some more.

Offline sclay115

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2006, 07:50:30 PM »
Nope, won't even start on the choke. It fired once, ran for 3-5 seconds, but in that time, if I gave it gas, it wanted to stall, and then shut off and wouldn't start again. This was after it sat, fuel off, for about 20 minutes. It flooded itself once i think, let it dry out, but still no luck. I'll try the starter fluid thing tomorrow. But what seems weird is that it was running perfect before the carbs came apart to be cleaned, which makes me think carbs, but the whole system seems to be working...

Steve

--Nick Voge

Offline Herr Tod

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2006, 07:53:49 PM »
Starter fluid is only good for shooting potatoes. I would take the carbs apart again.

Offline sclay115

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2006, 07:56:59 PM »
Anything specific you think I should check? I know that is a broad question, but after going through them the first time, I wouldn't even know where to start.

Steve

--Nick Voge

Offline gsxr400 racer

• I find things for a small fee....
  • Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • For all your disc golf needs...maybe i can race again someday.lol
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2006, 08:22:01 PM »
if the plugs arent new change them. Its amazing how many plugs you go through beforew you get your carbs right
1988 gsxr 400 sp (sprint bike)
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.
has been a wera expert #610 lol

Offline tomacGTi

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2006, 11:51:03 PM »
Quote from: "sclay115"
Nope, won't even start on the choke. It fired once, ran for 3-5 seconds, but in that time, if I gave it gas, it wanted to stall, and then shut off and wouldn't start again. This was after it sat, fuel off, for about 20 minutes. It flooded itself once i think, let it dry out, but still no luck. I'll try the starter fluid thing tomorrow. But what seems weird is that it was running perfect before the carbs came apart to be cleaned, which makes me think carbs, but the whole system seems to be working...

Steve

Steve, had the same effect with mine when I went to start from fresh rebuild: choke or no choke. When you gas it on choke, it will cause more of a tendancy to flood (at least in my experience) especially trying to start it the first time. My bike also started and ran fine prior to rebuild. I experience the same problems running from completely dry (winter storage) hence the starting fluid.

My plugs are about a year old (fresh plugs are a big plus) and I usually go through the same thing if the carbs are run absolutely dry: line, floats and all. I use starting fluid because I would rather not run the battery down trying to start it cranking over for minutes at a time. Every start after the first is like normal.

This is just my experience/opinion.

-Randy

Offline sclay115

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2006, 12:22:09 PM »
Would there be any other reason my bowls are leaking other than the gaskets being bad? Little background here, I ordered the carb kits for a GS500, under the impression they are the same carbs, turns out they are a little different. But I'm having trouble basically keeping my bowls from leaking, it looks like they are leaking around the gasket area, on the side facing the engine. Is this just the gasket? Or can there be another cause? I'm really stumped on this one guys. I got it running, and now I have this to contend with.

Steve

--Nick Voge

Offline interfuse

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2006, 02:14:09 PM »
Sounds like you're flooding.

What's your float height setting? Are the o-rings snug? It should be difficult to remove the floats. No debris in your needle valve?

Does your fuel tap leak in the "on" position?
Mike

'91 GSF400
It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow.

Offline sclay115

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2006, 02:38:59 PM »
I actually think i might have gotten it. At least for the time being, have yet to do the run in ride. But the starter fluid thing worked like a charm, I dont know what it is, but as soon as it fired on the fluid, it ran perfect on the petrol alone. Really good feeling. And the float bowl gasket problem i was having turned out to be the seals for the fuel fill on the carb body. Where those brass tubes connect each carb to supply fuel to the next one, sort of hard to explain. But anyhow, they were seated incorrectly and i just had to wiggle them into place. Basically, everything is hopefully fixed, just a little idle tuning to deal with, and i should be good to go. Thanks for all the help guys! I can really say that I wouldn't have done it without you folks. Thanks again.

Regards,
Steve

--Nick Voge