Author Topic: New to the Bandit world. Should this one be purchased?  (Read 3498 times)

Offline NateFaris

• TURBO TYPER!
New to the Bandit world. Should this one be purchased?
« on: June 29, 2006, 11:53:51 PM »
Hey guys. Looks like a great site with some good people.

I just recently found some information on the GSF400 by mistake and was just amazed by the bike's design and performance. I managed to find a 1993 model for sale about 5 hours away, but it needs some work. The guy claims that it runs great, but could use some "cosmetic TLC". It is 13 years old and has 32k miles, so I'm not expecting a showroom shine. Then he sends me the picture and explains that his friend that he purchased it from didn't like how the red paint was fading to pink, so he SPRAYPAINTED the entire frame, tank, etc.

He is asking $1800, which I sure as shit will not give to him. Aside from the front fender obviously not being original and the rear hugger missing, do you guys see anything else that stands out? And if it could be salvaged and brought back to glory, what should I offer this goofball? $900?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer in this situation, as I am not apt at pricing older Bandits, much less pieces of shit.

Offline 400runner

• Board Homesteader!
is it worth it?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2006, 12:45:18 AM »
1800? I think not!! It looks a bit rough and the paint might hide alot. It also looks like it is missing a rear peg- no big deal, but its a reason drop the price down. The bike can be brought back to shine ,but how does it run? The only way to know that, is to hear it run and take it for a spin. I guess that five hours away makes that a bit difficult. If it helps-- I am on my secound bandit 400 and the first one I bough with 31k miles on it and payed $700 and it looked very shiny with no missing parts and original paint. It died on me at 58k ( I drove it as my daily commuter) and worth every penny. I liked it so much that I looked for whole year till I found one In good shape. I am sure you will hear from others guys, -girls?- here that will tell you how much they love their B4. Just be sure you don't spend too much on purchase because repairs can be expensive if you can't do the work yourself. Welcome and good luck.

Offline NateFaris

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2006, 07:21:27 PM »
Thanks for the advice. I could do all the necessary work just fine, but what worries me is finding parts at a decent price. I have $1300 in cash sitting beside me if he can come up with some justification for me driving all the way out there to ride this thing. Hopefully he will respond with some good news to this email that I just sent:

Mike,
Hopefully you can get those pictures going pretty soon. A close-up of the chain would be great. As you can imagine, the cosmetics have me concerned about the integrity of the bike. Just from the picture that you sent me, I can see that (aside from the spray painting) the rear hugger, passenger footpeg, and right side mirror are missing. Also, the front fender is obviously not the orignal and appears to be held on by a zip-tie? It really just looks like this bike has not been taken care of to any degree. If you can change my mind, I have cash in hand and could possibly make it out there tomorrow, but as for now I don't believe I could ever afford the repairs/work that this bike requires. Please feel free to provide me with any more information/pictures that you can offer.
Thanks,
Nate

Offline Racerruss-ducati

• Board Homesteader!
Don't do it!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2006, 08:11:12 PM »
Don't do it.  I am in the Raleigh area, have a 1993 with under 3,900 miles.  I have done some nice upgrades including '03 GSXR rear shock, race tech springs, Michilin Pilot DOT tires and a Muzzy carbon slip on.  I have used it for 3 track days, and now would like to go up to a 600cc.  I will be putting it back to streetable condition (bodywork and clip-ons come off, stock lighting, centerstand goes back on) in the next few days.

There are a couple of minor dings (one scractch on tank, one quarter sized paint rub through on the tail section, and the usual "sanded" down case covers) on it, but it has the original paint that is still bright and shiny and a clean title.

This bike runs perfectly.  I will take $1800 for it and I can help with delivery for gas money.

This is the only picture I have without the bodywork, sorry to get my mug in it too!!!
'96 Ducati 900 SP street
'04 Yamaha R6 track

Offline kingkong666jp

• TURBO TYPER!
Re: Don't do it!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2006, 01:34:30 PM »
Quote from: Racerruss-ducati
Don't do it.  I am in the Raleigh area, have a 1993 with under 3,900 miles.  I have done some nice upgrades including '03 GSXR rear shock, race tech springs, Michilin Pilot DOT tires and a Muzzy carbon slip on.  I have used it for 3 track days, and now would like to go up to a 600cc.  I will be putting it back to streetable condition (bodywork and clip-ons come off, stock lighting, centerstand goes back on) in the next few days.

There are a couple of minor dings (one scractch on tank, one quarter sized paint rub through on the tail section, and the usual "sanded" down case covers) on it, but it has the original paint that is still bright and shiny and a clean title.

This bike runs perfectly.  I will take $1800 for it and I can help with delivery for gas money.

This is the only picture I have without the bodywork, sorry to get my mug in it too!!!

where can i get a muzzy slipon? or anything aftermarket??

want some?

Offline Racerruss-ducati

• Board Homesteader!
Re: Don't do it!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2006, 04:49:45 PM »
Quote from: kingkong666jp
where can i get a muzzy slipon? or anything aftermarket??

There are several posts on this site regarding this subject.  The standard B4 pipe is 2" in the section after the collector.  You can purchase any pipe with a 2" slip on style coupling, cut off your old muffler and install it.  You may have to do a little fabrication work to fashion a pipe hanger, but that wasn't even too bad.  The pipe I have I bought from Star Cycles and it was an open box part for a 99 ZX-9R, paid about $175 for it.  Be sure and get one with a hanger.  You can also find several like this on EBAY.
'96 Ducati 900 SP street
'04 Yamaha R6 track

Offline NateFaris

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2006, 01:59:28 AM »
Well now that the site's back... I bought Russ' bandit ^, and good lord will this thing scream. I am still working on tuning the suspension down from a 180lb rider on the track to suiting my 140lb frame on the nasty streets of Charlotte. Regardless, the bike is leagues beyond the Honda Rebel that I came from (still havent pushed past 10k rpm) in all respects.

*Thanks again Russ, and I wish you the best of luck with your move and future racing. (PS get that duc back to the track man)

Offline Desolation Angel

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2006, 09:38:30 AM »
Congrats!  Looks like you got the right bike!

Offline jcmjrt

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2006, 11:39:03 AM »
:congrats:

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2006, 02:09:43 PM »
Nice move.  Congrats!  

Oh, congrats to Russ on his new R6, too!   :banana:   We need to get on the track together, buddy.
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline Racerruss-ducati

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2006, 12:00:55 PM »
PitterB4 Said:
Oh, congrats to Russ on his new R6, too!  We need to get on the track together, buddy.

Like I said, I am registered with NESBA for VIR-South on August 27 and I may stay for VIR-North on the 28th.  You should come down.  I Guarantee there will be no snow.
'96 Ducati 900 SP street
'04 Yamaha R6 track

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2006, 12:41:50 PM »
PitterB4 Said:
Oh, congrats to Russ on his new R6, too!  We need to get on the track together, buddy.

Like I said, I am registered with NESBA for VIR-South on August 27 and I may stay for VIR-North on the 28th.  You should come down.  I Guarantee there will be no snow.

My best friend (who bought Bill's 05 R6) will be there both of those days.  I'm starting a new job on the 7th.  No time off for a while.  I will ride North next year.  It's supposed to be amazing.
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7