Author Topic: Help a girl out!!  (Read 3872 times)

Offline BanditGirl33

• Board Homesteader!
Help a girl out!!
« on: May 31, 2006, 02:47:21 PM »
Ok so i finally got my baby back running again.
Can you guys suggest some easy upgrades i can do without tearing the whole bike apart. Please include engine, suspension, appearance.. you know the works. I don't know a whole lot about bikes, so hopefully someone can help me out.

Offline BrianM

• Board Homesteader!
Help a girl out!!
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2006, 03:51:45 PM »
I always start with the service manual and its maintenance chart.  Lubing calbes, pivot points, change fork oil, syncing the carbs, etc..  all make the bike operate better, and more enjoyable (for me anyway).  

I don't do much in the way of mods anymore...  found out they focus the bike to one certain type of riding, and makes them less rounded/less fun on the whole.  Had to learn that the hard way with an '87 VFR that went from something I loved, to something I hated doing anything but track-days with (over the course of 90k miles, mind you...  but still).
Cheers,

BrianM ~ 1991 Bandit 400

Offline Farre

• Board Homesteader!
Help a girl out!!
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2006, 07:01:54 AM »
well yeah, first, inspect as much as possible, see it is in good shape. Now i'm in the process of replacing bearings.
Then as for upgrading, there's much info to be found on this forum: Suspension, carburetion (jet kits), swappability with the gsxr400's..
you should take your time and check out many many threads in this section.
I'm sure you'll find some nice stuff along the way  :wink:
Alex
'91 B4 almost bone stock:
GK73 Inner forks& Springs
B6 Rear Shock

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
Help a girl out!!
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2006, 09:27:37 AM »
Yeah - I would just look around here.  The stickied thread Introduce Your Bandit would be a good place to start.  There's lots of stuff you can do.  Have fun and good luck!
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline jcmjrt

• Board Homesteader!
Re: Help a girl out!!
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2006, 12:03:14 PM »
Quote from: BanditGirl33
without tearing the whole bike apart..

Hard to tell exactly how much that is but....

Suspension is usually an issue. You can replace the rear shock with several different models which would be an upgrade. Keep in mind that some people didn't mind raising the rear end so keep that in mind. There are quite a few threads here on that with info so search on it and then ask some questioins.

The front is a little more difficult. You can just change springs to a progressive kit when changing the fork oil and get better suspension or you can go the route of others and put a new front end on. That means tearing the front end apart. Besides better suspension, the fork legs are usually stronger with less flex and have dual discs for better braking. That's a rather large project that's fairly expensive.

Are your brake lines in good condition? You could consider changing to stainless and get a little better braking response.

If you don't have some kind of windscreen, then I would look into getting one of those soon. Look at photos and you'll see lots of choices.

Get your bike in good working order as BrianM recommends, ride it for a while and think about what would make riding better for you. Spend some time on here looking around. Take some pics and post 'em up.

Offline Farre

• Board Homesteader!
Help a girl out!!
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2006, 12:06:55 PM »
i must say, this bike is pretty addictive, once you get to know it's workings, there's so much you can change on it, and you migt consider ebay as a usefull tool, beware though, for your bank account can do down pretty quickly! Just bought a B6 shock cheaply to try out  :wink:
Alex
B6 Rear Shock

Offline Zhi

• Board Homesteader!
Help a girl out!!
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2006, 03:04:39 PM »
I'd have to agree with everyone that this lil bandit is very addicting.  I have thought about selling it several times, but when it came down to it, I just can't let go.  Part of my frustration with it was probably because I was using the bandit as a primary mode of transportation.  Now that it is not the case anymore, I find it much more enjoyable to ride.    

Hmm, here's a suggestion.  We should all begin documenting the stuff we do to our bikes using Photo.  I think pictures of even basic maintaince would be a great tool for those who are new to wrenching. :grin:
Z

Living and riding in the S.F. Bay Area.

Offline wyntrblue

• Board Homesteader!
Help a girl out!!
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2006, 07:01:12 PM »
Hmm, here's a suggestion. We should all begin documenting the stuff we do to our bikes using Photo. I think pictures of even basic maintaince would be a great tool for those who are new to wrenching. Very Happy

sorry dont want to change the direction of the thread but i for one think this is  one of the best ideas i have heard in a long time. i have no idea how to do anything but the most basic of maintence (cant even deal with the carbs  :clubme: ) so something like this would be compleatly amazing :clap:  :clap:  :clap:

Offline Farre

• Board Homesteader!
Help a girl out!!
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2006, 06:15:41 AM »
Yes, pictures are always very nice, i'm making pics while i work, my camera is nice black now instead of silvery :roll: but the fact is i'm quite ashamed of my bike in current condition..it's kinda butt-fugly.. nevertheless i can post some pics online, just no remarks on the styling and setting please :wink:
Alex
B6 Rear Shock