Author Topic: Removing Rust  (Read 8013 times)

Offline Vidrazor

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Removing Rust
« on: February 16, 2008, 06:59:11 PM »
Between having to park my bike on the street and not staying on top of keeping it clean, my B4 (not surprisingly) has developed some rust. For some reason it's only really developed mostly on the top of the fork area. I don't have the ability to rip the bike apart to clean it up, so I'm wondering what a good approach might be to get this stuff off. I know this stuff 'll be pitted and all, but I'd like to try and get this off as best I can. I thought about using Noxon, which will probably work pretty good on stuff like this, but it can do a mambo on aluminum if it hits it, and I'm not entirely sure what's not steel around there. The rust on the painted area is another problem. Any suggestions with any of this is appreciated, thanks:

Offline Forde

• Board Homesteader!
Re: Removing Rust
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2008, 08:32:58 PM »
For any bare metal use a metal polish, e.g. Autosol but i dont know if you can get that where you are.  On the stanchions maybe give them a rub with fine grade wet n dry paper after using some metal polish to take the worst off, then after wet n drying metal polish again to finish.

For the painted areas you could give them a wee sand but tbh the rust aint that bad so a coat of rust inhibiting paint would do it, example would be Hammerite but again i dont know if you can get that.  You will be able to get similar products tho.

Take the forks out, its so easy to do and would make it so much easier to paint and sand.
If you cant join them, beat them...

Offline txbanditrydr

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2008, 08:37:12 PM »
Consider a product called Penetrol - it's recommended for rusty surfaces and acutally bonds with the rust to stop it.  You can paint over the top of it too.

PENETROL LINK
« Last Edit: February 16, 2008, 08:40:36 PM by txbanditrydr »
'01 B600S ... sold
'05 B1200S ... Top 20 mods... #20 through #2 - All The Usual Ones, Yada, Yada  & #1... 150,000+ Miles and Counting!!!!

Offline Vidrazor

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2008, 10:04:42 PM »
>>Take the forks out, its so easy to do and would make it so much easier to paint and sand.<<

Thanks for all replies. Unfortunately I don't have th e tools or workspace (or experience! :grin:) to do that type of stuff, hence me trying to poke as best I can around those spots.

Is Penetrol a clear-based paint? If so I could mix it with matching color touch-up paint from Colorite and kill two birds with one stone. It says on that site that it "inhibits rust on painted steel surface", but doesn't say it STOPS existing rust that way other rust stoppers (claim to) do.

Oddly, I ran across a water-based rust stopper here: http://tinyurl.com/2fllgg

I'm not sure if this is water-based or not: http://tinyurl.com/2by8ne

Any fast-working suggestions for the wheels? Someone recommended this:

While it basically works, it's tortuously tiring trying to polish up a square inch of surface area! I see Autosol is listed on ebay, et al, I'll have a look. A review of it shows it to be similar in effort to this stuff above, however. I wish I could put Noxon on the wheels, that stuff is incredible in it's ability to remove tarnish with minimal effort.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2008, 10:34:12 PM by Vidrazor »

Offline pmackie

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2008, 11:05:32 PM »
For removing rust, you can use CLR. It, and most other rust removal products are Phosphoric Acid. The reaction changes the iron oxide, which is why you can paint over it.

Here is my suggestion:

Chrome Fork Stantions and lower triple tree - CLR or similar rust removal, followed by a good metal polish (I like Autosol as well) followed by a good coat of automotive wax. For areas you can wax easily, use some Pledge, or similar furniture polish.

Frame & Painted surfaces - CLR, then some zinc chromate primer, then your top coat, and after curing, some wax.

Wheels - mostly yours look like they need a good clean with soap and water, with a stiff brush. If you have stains that won't come off, try the metal cleaner, or if they really won't come clean, you can use some automotive aluminium wheel cleaner, followed by the Autosol, followed by some wax.

Generally, washing and waxing regularly will keep the "iron oxide" monster under control.
Paul
2002-GSF600S, Progressive Fork Springs, B12 Shock,
SS Brake lines, EBC HH pads, Leo Vince Ex & Kappa bags.
Ex Bike Mechanic (late 70's), somewhat rusty
32 years in the Fuel/lubes industry(Retired)

Offline Forde

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2008, 07:07:32 PM »
Dude, it really is easy to take the forks out, if you have a socket set you can do it in about 5 minutes.

Tell you what, you'll have a hard time trying to sand your stanchions or paint your yoke with them fitted.  Itll be a mess and youll not be able to reach half of it.  Good luck is all i can say lol.

Dont use the like of autosol on your wheels if theyre painted btw, just metal surfaces cos its metal polish and its abrasive.

That stuff you posted a pic of above looks like an ok metal polish, is it the stuff that comes already on a pad?  Try to get just the polish on its own then you can put it on a cloth and use it in all the awkward wee corners.  Any motor factors will have metal polish, it aint hard to get.  I dont think you need to get it on ebay.

On closer inspection of the pic some alloy wheel cleaner and a stiff brush would probably do for the wheel. 

As for chemical rust remover, i wouldnt bother id just sand or paint or polish depending on what part it was.

As for

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2008, 09:44:50 PM »
Dude, it really is easy to take the forks out, if you have a socket set you can do it in about 5 minutes.

You have to have some way to support the bike, tho...
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline interfuse

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2008, 01:58:42 AM »

Put the bike on the centre stand and throw some 2 x 4s under the pan. Once the front wheel is off all the weight moves to the back... Ghetto but it works.
Mike

'91 GSF400
It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow.

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2008, 04:54:10 AM »

Put the bike on the centre stand and throw some 2 x 4s under the pan. Once the front wheel is off all the weight moves to the back... Ghetto but it works.

Ah!  I never owned a bike with a center stand so I forget about it.  (My B4's was removed by a PO)
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline mademiriam

• Site Testing Volunteer
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2008, 01:11:52 PM »
Not sure about the height of the 400, but i've found that a lot of bikes rest nicely on a milk crate, this is of course if you don't have the centerstand or don't want to use it.
'05 Bandit 1200, Full Muzzy, Dyno jet stage 1, 5 degree ignition advancer, Galfer SS Lines, EBC rotors, busa shock, busa forks
'03 R6 trackbike

Offline Vidrazor

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2008, 10:38:06 PM »
>>Dude, it really is easy to take the forks out, if you have a socket set....<<

And a space to do it in. Not sure about 5 minutes, either. :wink:

Offline Forde

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2008, 12:41:03 PM »
Well, it definitely takes under ten minutes lol.

Take off Mudguard
Remove Wheel
Unbolt Caliper and tie up
Loosen yoke clamps and slide out forks.

Thats all there is to it.

As for supporting the bike, i just put a wooden block on a jack under the downpipes, but my bike stays up without that lmao it just wouldnt be as steady and im paranoid lol

And you dont need space to do it, anywhere you can park the bike is fine u just take the wheel off and set it to the side then slide the forks out and take them away doesnt take up much room like.

Offline gsxr400 racer

• I find things for a small fee....
  • Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • For all your disc golf needs...maybe i can race again someday.lol
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2008, 12:59:24 PM »
look for new forks, need a long bread bag to put seals on them lol
1988 gsxr 400 sp (sprint bike)
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.
has been a wera expert #610 lol

Offline interfuse

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2008, 03:45:11 AM »
look for new forks, need a long bread bag to put seals on them lol

That's the funniest shit I've read in a while. Pure jokes. I'm still laughing.

There are a set of forks on EBAY for cheap.
Mike

'91 GSF400
It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow.

Offline orionburn

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2008, 01:19:24 PM »
I spotted rust on my Bandit this weekend. It really came out of nowhere. The bike has been garaged all winter and covered. I went out for a ride about a week and a half ago when the weather finally broke into the upper 50s. Maybe the residual salt on the roads caused it? I can scrape it off with a fingernail so I don't think there is any permanent damage, but I'm leary of it coming back. The only areas affected are the upper part of the forks and the handle bar. Will cleaning it and polishing it be enough to keep it from coming back?
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.

87 FZR1000
03 Bandit 1200S