Author Topic: choke questions  (Read 2577 times)

Offline andylad

• TURBO TYPER!
choke questions
« on: July 28, 2010, 12:18:01 AM »
I can't get the choke to work.  It seems like its not working at all, like 5, 5sec bursts on the starter to get it to fire up choke or no choke.  all the brass tubes are intact and don't wiggle around.  when I enguage the choke, the bar moves all the way over.  What else is there to check?  any rubber to be replaced for a seal?

Offline crashoverrideplik

• Board Homesteader!
Re: choke questions
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2010, 12:40:12 AM »
Check the cable. Mine was out of the "track" in the carb rack and wouldn't engage.

Offline andylad

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2010, 01:11:25 AM »
Mine is definatly in the track and sliding.  The brass tubes are in good condition.  What I did find is that when the choke is off, the slide bar doesn't slide all the way in.  There was still about 1/8" to go before it was all the way off.  The cable isn't in the greatest of conditions and that's what i'm blaming that on.  Ill be able to make it turn off all the way no prob, but do you guys think that the 1/8" would be enough to screw with anything to make it hard to start?

Offline tomacGTi

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2010, 07:11:19 AM »
If anything, it would make it run rich.

Try lubing the cable and making sure the return spring has enough ass. I end up making my own new cable with a pinch/cable end from the help section at Pep Boys and a derailleur wire and housing (I'm a bicycle mechanic as well). Mine was frozen with corrosion.

Returns and extends fine now.

Offline andylad

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2010, 10:32:16 PM »
Good idea about the cable.  I also found that there is no return spring.  After I fix that it should be good to go.  I also got it to work today.  For some reason if i engage the choke slowly it works just fine.  Wierd.

Edit:  There is a return spring. 
« Last Edit: August 02, 2010, 12:23:58 PM by andylad »