Author Topic: WHICH PLUGS? CR8EK, CR9EK or CR8E  (Read 12906 times)

Offline benallenuk

• Board Homesteader!
WHICH PLUGS? CR8EK, CR9EK or CR8E
« on: April 06, 2006, 09:07:05 AM »
Hi, just a quickie this time.  WHich plugs do you use?  I used to use NGK CR8E in my '91 bandit, single ground electrode, they worked fine, and were half the price.  

I how have a '96 V/VS 4, and need to chage the plugs, they dont have NGK plugs in at the moment, i forget the make.  NGK reccomends, the CR8EK, but others say the CR9EK, which is best? Does anyone know the difference between them.  Also what is the advantage of having a twin ground electrode, apart from making you wallet lighter!!!

Oh also what gap do you run? 0.6mm?

Cheers

Ben

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2006, 10:04:25 AM »
The number in the middle is the temp of the plug.  Lower numbers are hotter.  For the non-v US models, the 91 and 92s call for 8EKs.  The 93 for 9EKs.  The K at the end indicates the dual tip.  I run the single tips (CR9E in my 93) at gsxr400racer's suggestion.  Having said all of that, i have no idea if the v models need something different.  

Gap - I always check them against whatever the manual calls for.  They're always perfect right out of the box.
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline benallenuk

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2006, 10:37:44 AM »
I dont think the v need anything different, a local motorcycle part dealer suggested the 8EK when i had my '91.

SERVICE MANUAL SAYS CR8E 0.7 - 0.8MM GAP for the '97 v.

Does everyone agree?

Offline Farre

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2006, 12:54:24 PM »
CR8E is good enough, dual tip is handy when you're pushing the bike to the limit i think, like rich mixture and heavy loads. With 2 electrodes the chance of getting a spark is twice as high, thus the risk of getting a misfire is halved. Statistically and assuming my statement is correct.  :wink:
Alex
'91 B4 almost bone stock:
GK73 Inner forks& Springs
B6 Rear Shock