Author Topic: Bandit 400 Regulator ??  (Read 2346 times)

Offline chef

• Board Homesteader!
Bandit 400 Regulator ??
« on: April 05, 2006, 05:54:23 AM »
Greetings from Bali ,i hope someone can assist with information regarding the regulator.
After a tune up today the Suzuki mech informed me that the regulator is finished & therefore can only ride the bike 5 minutes home & wait 5 weeks while a new unit is imported from Singapore at a cost of USD 100 !!!
An expat mech told me that i  can install a regulator from a Suzuki Thunder 250 cc which will keep me on the road with no problems at a cost of approx USD 20.
The Suzuki mech installed the Thunder unit but removed it because it got hot but i am under the impression that any regulator will get hot?

So.. quesstions are,
Could this unit work on a temp basis?
If it is installed & gets over heated,will it damage my bike or just fry itself & leave me stranded?

Thanks for any help you may be able to offer.

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
Bandit 400 Regulator ??
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2006, 08:51:34 AM »
The search function is your friend.   :lol:  

There have been several threads about regulators.  Look around.  As I understand it, there are lots that will fit.  I think the accepted wisdom is to get one from a bigger bike, tho.  Like I said, look around.  Good luck.
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline chef

• Board Homesteader!
Bandit 400 Regulator ??
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2006, 10:04:44 PM »
Ideally yes,a bigger bike rect would solve the problem but how about a unit from a smaller ( 250 cc ) bike?( This is the max engine capacity in Asia,larger bikes ( my 400 ) have to be imported from Singapore)
What sort of problems would this create.?

Offline todius

• Board Homesteader!
Bandit 400 Regulator ??
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2006, 05:57:24 PM »
if the replacement regulator off the smaller bike can't handle as much power or uses lower voltage diodes, it will fail.  This could possibly cause the voltage to spike on your electrical system which could in turn cause your Igniter Box to fail or damage other things (headlight bulb will probably burn out).  Most likely, you'll just be stranded.    

If you HAVE to use a regulator that you're unsure can handle the power, ride with the HIGH beam on all the time.  This will divert some of the load from the regulator to the bulb.  

Your best bet is to check the electrical power output of the 250cc bike's charging system and compare it to the Bandit400.  You'll have to do some searching to figure out their power outputs (it will be a WATT rating).

As far as the regulator getting hot, yes all regulators do get hot as it is their job to bleed off excess power as heat.  The question is, "How hot?"   I'm not exactly sure what the regulator is rated at, but typical electronics are usually rated to 50 degrees C.
-Brent