Author Topic: So I test rode a B4 tonight! :-D  (Read 19857 times)

Offline GooseMan

• Board Homesteader!
    • http://www.soundwerksaudio.com
So I test rode a B4 tonight! :-D
« on: April 11, 2007, 11:15:46 PM »
Sorry for my useless posts....but I'm excited!

I took that B4 I was looking at for a little test ride this evening. The seller took me for a ride a bit (I dont have my license yet...so I dont wanna risk taking it out on public streets), and I also got to ride it a bit on a dead-end street.

Alls I gotta say is WOW! I like this bike! Fits me very well, the power is there, but easy to manage, and the brakes work very nicely!  :motorsmile:

Only problem was the throttle. The throttle handgrip didnt seem to return to the closed position...like, it didnt have any springiness to it. The seller said its because it was cold outside. I know its not a huge problem...but how can you adjust this? Does it need to be lubricated, or is there a spring somewhere?

Anyway..I put a deposit down so he can hold the bike for me for a few weeks until I get my license. So hopefully I'll be joining you guys as a fellow B4 freak!  :taz:
1991 Bandit 400

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2007, 11:29:11 PM »
I'm not buying into the cold story. Most likely, it's one of these issues:
1) The cables just need some lube.
2) It could be a routing issue and there's a bit of a kink. somewhere preventing the springs from returning the throttle.
3) The twist grip could be gunked up enough to prevent return.
4) The twist grip is hanging up on the bar end.
5) Throttle cables need to be replaced.
6) The return springs are shot. (Probably the least likely.)
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline JamieK

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2007, 11:29:41 PM »
:congrats:  Those 400s are cool lil bikes :bigok:
Jamie K in Edmonton<br />06 B12S, Full Muzzy, Stage 1 jets, Timing Advancer

Offline GooseMan

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2007, 12:23:20 AM »
Quote from: "Red01"
2) It could be a routing issue and there's a bit of a kink. somewhere preventing the springs from returning the throttle.

Hmm...I'll have to check it out again. I know when I saw the bike last weekend (the first time) the throttle was sticky...but less than it was today. Hopefully these issues are easy to fix.
1991 Bandit 400

Offline gsxr400 racer

• I find things for a small fee....
  • Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • For all your disc golf needs...maybe i can race again someday.lol
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2007, 12:55:59 AM »
i vote for number 4 easiest and most common
1988 gsxr 400 sp (sprint bike)
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.
has been a wera expert #610 lol

Offline r_outsider

• Site Testing Volunteer
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2007, 12:57:44 AM »
Quote from: "GooseMan"

Hmm...I'll have to check it out again. I know when I saw the bike last weekend (the first time) the throttle was sticky...but less than it was today. Hopefully these issues are easy to fix.

Don't worry, it's easyyy. And if you're really unsure, spend the 20 bucks or whatever on a new cable. Keep in mind that you are talking about a 14-16 year old bike, some things like cables don't improve with age.

Offline stormi

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
  • BOFH
    • stormi's other hobbies
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2007, 02:14:20 AM »

Just a small thing here,.. the B4 only has one throttle cable.  It's not a push-pull like the bigger bandits.  

I vote that it's likely cable routing.  These little bikes really can be picky about the routing.  For instance, route it wrong, and you'll find it that after a rev, the rpms will take a while to come down, or the engine will race or die if the cable is routed wrong (or pinched) and the bars are turned left or right.  It's almost like the cable is 1/2" too short, so it has to be bang on, or you'll get that, even with a perfectly good cable.

That said,.. correct routing is in the service manual, that you can find in the Members section.

I find that the easiest way to test to see if the cable and the grip side of things is ok, is to leave it all wired up, and remove the tank (helps to alleviate any pinches or pressure points.) and rotate the throttle a few times with the bike off.  roll it on, let go,... does it snap back?  roll back slowly?  Stay put?  Stop prematurely? That'll give you a really good idea as to where to start.

Don't worry, you're not going to flood the engine for the next time you turn it on or anything, the juice only flows when there's vacuum pressure.   :motorsmile:
stormi

Dita - 91 Bandit 400 - SOLD
Blue - 02 Hornet 919 - Perfect Gentleman
02 KTM 200 EXC - Sold
08 VFR800 - Lowered 1.2"
17 KTM RC390
17 Husky TC85 converted to 105

Electrosport Charging System Test - it really works

Offline stormi

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
  • BOFH
    • stormi's other hobbies
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2007, 02:16:23 AM »
Quote from: "Dreadnought"
:congrats:  Those 400s are cool lil bikes :bigok:

Have you ever seen one in person?  Still got ours here, you can meet her this weekend if we meet up for coffee. ;)  She loves this cold air too... goes like stink. (and as many carborated bikes - is a little stinky doing it.   :roll: )
stormi

02 KTM 200 EXC - Sold
08 VFR800 - Lowered 1.2"
17 KTM RC390

Offline Bartjan

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2007, 08:21:23 AM »
(a premature)   :welcome:
1991 US Bandit 400

Offline GooseMan

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2007, 11:22:25 AM »
Well, the thing is it doesnt have any bar ends (youre talking about the screw-in bar end weights? there arent any).

I guess when I get the bike, I'll check the entire cable...probably replace it anyway...as it is cheap/easy to replace.

Any other good advice for maintenence? I'm going to change all the fluids ASAP, of course. I was thinking of a carb sync and cleaning..but I really know NOTHING about carbs, and I'm scared to take em out and mess with them, because, frankly, the bike seems to be starting up and running perfectly, so I dont want to mess with anything.

Can I spray carb cleaner into the carbs with the engine running? I know I've used "throttle body cleaner" on my cars before...I dunno if its the same for bikes. I know thats not a "real" carb clean..but its better than nothing, no?

The seller also mentioned theres a small oil leak, I believe where the clutch cover is. He showed me a small stain where the bikes been sitting the past 6 months, so it seems to be like a slow leak...like a drop here and there. Are gaskets readily available for the Bandit? That seems easy to fix...just take the clutch cover off and replace the gasket....right?
1991 Bandit 400

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2007, 12:43:10 PM »
You could use a spray cleaner, but it won't get you much.  I think you'd be better off using something in the fuel, like Seafoam or Techron, that way you do more than clean the throat and get something in the tiny fuel passage which is what's much more likely to give you problems.

The gasket change sould be simple.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline bonobandit4

• Board Homesteader!
Re: So I test rode a B4 tonight! :-D
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2007, 01:32:12 PM »
Quote from: "GooseMan"
I took that B4 I was looking at for a little test ride this evening. The seller took me for a ride a bit (I dont have my license yet...so I dont wanna risk taking it out on public streets), and I also got to ride it a bit on a dead-end street.

I guess the fact that I've been riding for 4 years w/o a license and an expired temporary is a bad idea???

Otherwise, you're getting some good advice here Goose.  Do as I say, not as I do.
I've actually read 'Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance'.... it sucked!

Brian
93 Bandit w/ full Yoshi 4-2-1 and jets
1968 AMC Javelin - Made in WI baby!

Offline GooseMan

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2007, 02:04:55 PM »
Hehhehe....yeah, I just wanna keep it legal. I dont mind taking it slow (its a BITCH to get your license here in Quebec)..It's my first bike, so I'd like to learn the ropes, keep it safe etc...

Thanks for all the help so far guys! :D
1991 Bandit 400

Offline stormi

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
  • BOFH
    • stormi's other hobbies
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2007, 02:52:56 PM »
I think you'd be better off using something in the fuel, like Seafoam or Techron, that way you do more than clean the throat and get something in the tiny fuel passage which is what's much more likely to give you problems.

The gasket change sould be simple.

Yup,.. seafoam rocks!  This is the first year I've stored the bike and not had to take the carbs off to clean after the storage.  And she hasn't been started for more than 6 months!!

Parts are available from places like BikeBandit, and Mr Motorcycles, usually for much better than stealer prices. ( especially canadian stealer prices, who I'm stuck with)
stormi

02 KTM 200 EXC - Sold
08 VFR800 - Lowered 1.2"
17 KTM RC390

Offline GooseMan

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2007, 05:27:58 PM »
Yeah...I dont even wanna know about Canadian prices...*shudder*

That seafoam stuff looks pretty cool. It says you can put some in your gas tank...but also in your engine oil? And it says to pour it directly into the carbs...is that right?  :shock:

http://www.seafoamsales.com/motorTuneUpTechGas.htm
1991 Bandit 400