Author Topic: So I test rode a B4 tonight! :-D  (Read 19835 times)

Offline gsxr400 racer

• I find things for a small fee....
  • Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • For all your disc golf needs...maybe i can race again someday.lol
So I test rode a B4 tonight! :-D
« Reply #60 on: April 26, 2007, 12:26:40 AM »
If you run bigger tires and cant figure out why you still have chicken stripe's its because your tires are to big for the rim by the time you use all the tire that is to big for the rim crash is eminent. Big tire require big rims and the chassis and geometry to go with them. But hey first hand knowledge is always better so go for it.
1988 gsxr 400 sp (sprint bike)
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.
has been a wera expert #610 lol

Offline GooseMan

• Board Homesteader!
    • http://www.soundwerksaudio.com
« Reply #61 on: April 26, 2007, 01:17:32 AM »
Hmmm..then I'll stick with the stock sizes then.

BTW----just had her delivered! Shes safe and snug at home!!!  :welcome:  :bandit:  :motorsmile:
1991 Bandit 400

Offline stormi

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
  • BOFH
    • stormi's other hobbies
« Reply #62 on: April 26, 2007, 04:33:07 AM »
Quote from: "gsxr400 racer"
If you run bigger tires and cant figure out why you still have chicken stripe's its because your tires are to big for the rim

So.,.. apparently for me, stock is too big for the rim! :rofl:

Quote from: "GooseMan"
BTW----just had her delivered! Shes safe and snug at home!!!  :welcome:  :bandit:  :motorsmile:

Congrats!! Now the work begins!  When will you go for your license?  You know, in Alberta, if you have a driver's license, for a car, you can ride with a licensed rider, to get practice, before you take the test.  Might be worth looking into for where you are.
stormi

Dita - 91 Bandit 400 - SOLD
Blue - 02 Hornet 919 - Perfect Gentleman
02 KTM 200 EXC - Sold
08 VFR800 - Lowered 1.2"
17 KTM RC390
17 Husky TC85 converted to 105

Electrosport Charging System Test - it really works

Offline BrianM

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #63 on: April 26, 2007, 10:34:30 AM »
If you have chicken strips on the Rear, but not the front (or vice versa), then it's suspension (and most notabily ride height).  Strips should be about equal on the front and rear.

Most bikes (people) run out of front before they run out of rear, the fix for this is more rear ride height.
Cheers,

BrianM ~ 1991 Bandit 400

Offline gsxr400 racer

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #64 on: April 26, 2007, 11:19:27 AM »
Quote from: "BrianM"
If you have chicken strips on the Rear, but not the front (or vice versa), then it's suspension (and most notably ride height).  Strips should be about equal on the front and rear.

Most bikes (people) run out of front before they run out of rear, the fix for this is more rear ride height.

Brian why don't you start a suspension sticky with informative stuff like that in it . Id like to here more mostly what i know if hard learned lessons and stuff from the traxxion D bible. Oh and i have a ohlins hand out and my penske book.
cheers
jay
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.

Offline GooseMan

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #65 on: April 26, 2007, 12:39:41 PM »
Quote from: "stormi"

Congrats!! Now the work begins!  When will you go for your license?  You know, in Alberta, if you have a driver's license, for a car, you can ride with a licensed rider, to get practice, before you take the test.  Might be worth looking into for where you are.

Well, here in Quebec, we have a few (complicated!) steps:

-Pass a written exam (easy...did it in 10 mins). Get your Class 6R. This allows you to ride in an approved riding course, which is MANDATORY

-Take the mandatory course (18 hours in a parking lot, and 4 hrs on the road)...which is similar to the MSF course. I just finished my course last weekend. :D

-Do a closed-circuit test at the license bureau. This is just a short test to see that you are able to control a bike. Ride in a circle, emergency stops, negotiate a curve etc....all in a parking lot, below 30 km/h. This is the test I'm going for next Thursday.

-Once you pass this test, you get your 6A Permit. With this, you are allowed to ride ONLY alongside another rider whi has 2+ years experience. You must have this permit for 7 months. This really SUCKS because if you want to practice, even around your home, you MUST call a buddy to come over and ride with them.  :roll:

-After your 7-months, you go back to the license bureau and take a road test. The tester will follow behind you and give you instructions via a headset. This is a one hour test, on the road. Once you pass this, you get your full license and can ride alone. :D But if you fail, you must wait 56 DAYS before taking the test again  :duh:

So its a long process....but at least its good for learning and being safe. But its still a pain in the ass!
1991 Bandit 400

Offline Bartjan

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #66 on: April 26, 2007, 01:34:55 PM »

i guess i'm not most people as ive got almost none left at the rear (160 tire on original rim) and "plenty" at the front, but then again my B4 is raised about 5cm at the rear  :bandit:

Well, here in Quebec, we have a few (complicated!) steps:

-Pass a written exam (easy...did it in 10 mins). Get your Class 6R. This allows you to ride in an approved riding course, which is MANDATORY

-Take the mandatory course (18 hours in a parking lot, and 4 hrs on the road)...which is similar to the MSF course. I just finished my course last weekend. :D

-Do a closed-circuit test at the license bureau. This is just a short test to see that you are able to control a bike. Ride in a circle, emergency stops, negotiate a curve etc....all in a parking lot, below 30 km/h. This is the test I'm going for next Thursday.

-Once you pass this test, you get your 6A Permit. With this, you are allowed to ride ONLY alongside another rider whi has 2+ years experience. You must have this permit for 7 months. This really SUCKS because if you want to practice, even around your home, you MUST call a buddy to come over and ride with them.  :roll:

-After your 7-months, you go back to the license bureau and take a road test. The tester will follow behind you and give you instructions via a headset. This is a one hour test, on the road. Once you pass this, you get your full license and can ride alone. :D But if you fail, you must wait 56 DAYS before taking the test again  :duh:

So its a long process....but at least its good for learning and being safe. But its still a pain in the ass!

at least you can start driving at age 16....

here you need to be 18  :stickpoke:
1991 US Bandit 400

Offline stormi

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
  • BOFH
    • stormi's other hobbies
« Reply #67 on: April 26, 2007, 02:52:22 PM »
Good grief!! What crack addict decided on those time frames?  7 months?  56 days?   I do like the idea of a -mandatory- skills class though.  That would sure lower the number of people that wobble around, and can't manage their vehicles.

I have a funny feeling that your new riders there are slightly more skilled on average than ours are though.  In fact, I'd like to see the crash statistics for fully licensed riders in their first 2 years, between us and you...
stormi

02 KTM 200 EXC - Sold
08 VFR800 - Lowered 1.2"
17 KTM RC390

Offline El Dopa

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #68 on: April 26, 2007, 04:31:55 PM »
I wouldnt see the need to go any higher.

You will....

A good ride through fast sweepers, I'll spend 90% of my time between 9-13K.

Offline GooseMan

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #69 on: April 26, 2007, 04:32:02 PM »
I like the mandatory classes too, because I would have NO idea how to ride otherwise....and I'd rather learn on THIER bikes, and not my own!

Actually, I was reading something yesterday about it, and it said Quebec made classes mandatory in 1985 (I think) and then stopped in 1997. From 1997 to 2000 when the requirement was dropped, fatalities increased by 46%!!!!!  :shock:

http://www.safety-council.org/info/traffic/tng.html

Interesting!

More interesting Canadian statisctics here http://www.safety-council.org/info/traffic/mtp.html
1991 Bandit 400

Offline Herr Tod

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #70 on: April 26, 2007, 06:38:17 PM »

That's what I was thinking about since I have the same 'problem'. I'm running a 120/70 front tire on a 3.5 inch rim and a 150/60 rear on a 4.0 inch rim. Front is all rounded but the rear stays behind. If I push the bike down more, sometimes even past the point of dragging stuff, the front starts drifting and just after that the rear starts too :taz: Gotta love them Michelin's :bigok:

The bike is raised by using a RGV 250 swinger and a GSXR 750 '92 rear shock. About 30 mm's compared to stock if I'm not mistaken. Less than when it was raised by just using a GSXR 750 '02 shock, which was too much anyway. The front is lowered by 1.5 mm compared to a stock Bandit. I'm running 120/70 instead of 110/70 and I have the forks lowered 5 mm's through the tripples.

Front tire

Rear tire

Yeah I know, they needed replacement :boohoo:

Offline gsxr400 racer

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #71 on: April 26, 2007, 08:59:22 PM »
well a 120 goes on a 3.5 rim i was saying 120 on a whatever it is 3.0 or 2.5 the bandit comes stock with and a 160 on a 4.5 i have a 160 or 165 mounted to a 5.5 is some one want to see that lol

Offline stormi

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
  • BOFH
    • stormi's other hobbies
« Reply #72 on: April 26, 2007, 09:31:54 PM »
I like the mandatory classes too, because I would have NO idea how to ride otherwise....and I'd rather learn on THIER bikes, and not my own!

Actually, I was reading something yesterday about it, and it said Quebec made classes mandatory in 1985 (I think) and then stopped in 1997. From 1997 to 2000 when the requirement was dropped, fatalities increased by 46%!!!!!  :shock:

http://www.safety-council.org/info/traffic/tng.html

Interesting!

More interesting Canadian statisctics here http://www.safety-council.org/info/traffic/mtp.html

I totally believe that.  I'd also like to see a component on basic maintenance as well.  Things like,... it's reaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaallllly important to maintain and check your chain for correct tension.
stormi

02 KTM 200 EXC - Sold
08 VFR800 - Lowered 1.2"
17 KTM RC390

Offline GooseMan

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #73 on: April 27, 2007, 03:57:34 PM »
Gonna scrutinize my chain this weekend!

Hey...anyone know the correct size of the holes in the front brake discs? I'm looking to get a disc lock...and they seem to come in 5.5mm and 10mm sizes...

???
1991 Bandit 400

Offline stormi

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
  • BOFH
    • stormi's other hobbies
« Reply #74 on: April 27, 2007, 04:13:35 PM »
Gonna scrutinize my chain this weekend!

Good Boy! :)

Hey...anyone know the correct size of the holes in the front brake discs? I'm looking to get a disc lock...and they seem to come in 5.5mm and 10mm sizes...

???

I would guess the former, but someone here will know.  

If you do get the disk lock, make SURE you leave yourself a reminder that it's on.  Some locks come with a "String" or similar to run up to the handlebars.  If yours doesn't, make sure you remind yourself some other way.  If you should try to roll the bike with the disklock on, it can end very badly - Damage to the rotor, a tip over, or worse if you're trying to start out and are ON the bike...  :shock:

Also, use it religiously.  Don't sometimes use it and sometimes not.  You need to be in the habit, and don't let yourself get lazy.  The one time you leave it off, is when the bike will disappear.  

Yes,.. this is from experience.
stormi

02 KTM 200 EXC - Sold
08 VFR800 - Lowered 1.2"
17 KTM RC390