Author Topic: soon to be new Bandit 400 owner  (Read 5320 times)

Offline racerxnico

• New user!
soon to be new Bandit 400 owner
« on: May 11, 2007, 05:34:13 PM »
Hello all,
My name is Jason and I live in Seattle, WA.

About six years ago I had a friend who took the motorcycle safety training course.  She loved it and decided to get a bike was somewhat limited by her height.  I found her a Bandit 400 on ebay and she and her future husband bought it.  It was in pretty good shape, but did need a carb rebuild and tune up.  They never got around to it as they found out she was pregnant a matter of weeks latter.

About three years ago I started to pester them about the bike.  I had alwys been a bit taken by it's styling and at least wanted to run it around a bit.  My initial offer was to take it in for free, get it cleaned up and running and then sell it and split any profit I made 50/50.  She was game, but he wouldn't go for it claiming that he would do it himself.

I haven't seen them a lot these last couple years as they've moved on from our former common employer, but every time I did, I'd let him know I wanted the Bandit.

Tuesday, he called me out of the blue to let me know it was mine if I could pick it up this weekend.

I know it has been in his garage the whole time and hoping that time has been gentle to it.  I'm expecting that I'll have to put about $400 into it to sort it out, but that's a bit of a guess as I haven't seen it in two years.

Wish me luck and I'll keep you posted.
j. hanner
1992 suzuki bandit 400
1992 suzuki gsx 1100g
1983 suzuki gs 1100e "volito"
1977 yamaha xs400 "cafe"
1974 yamaha rd200
1972 yamaha lt2 "the charlie brown"

Offline Garyola

• Board Homesteader!
    • http://www.mulcahey.com
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2007, 08:19:59 PM »
:welcome:  And good luck with your long lost love.
There is a ton of collective info on this site and in the heads of the members. Don't be afraid to ask.

G

Offline interfuse

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2007, 08:21:40 PM »
You can't beat "have it, if you can pick it up this weekend" can you? Clean the carbs, change the fluids, put a new set of tires on it and you've got yourself a great bargin.

Keep us posted!
Mike

'91 GSF400
It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow.

Offline racerxnico

• New user!
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2007, 01:55:17 AM »
I picked her up tonight and she's not looking too bad.  There is going to be a bit of work to do though and it looks like, over the years and moves, that a couple parts have gone missing.

On initial inspection I'd say that I'm going to have to do the carbs for sure, the brakes are going to need a rebuild, the rear fender front appears to be missing & the gas tank mounting bolts and rubbers are missing.  I'm going to have to give the whole thing a going through and see what else I can find.  

I also noticed that the stock airbox has been replaced with pods.  I don't know if this means it's been rejetted at some point or not.  Other suzuki's I've owned have performed better with the stock airbox, is this the case with this one, I'll have to find one of those too.

I'd like to start working on it right away tomorrow, but unfortunately it's going to be a couple months before I can turn a wrench.  I'm working on a huge side project outside my day job so I'm looking at 70-80 hour weeks through June.  In the mean time, I am going to spend some time here at the website learnign what I can and trying to find some parts.

Does anyone know about carb rebuild kits or brake rebuild kits?

thanks
j. hanner
1992 suzuki bandit 400
1992 suzuki gsx 1100g
1977 yamaha xs400 "cafe"
1974 yamaha rd200

Offline duane

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2007, 07:56:05 PM »
Quote from: "racerxnico"

Does anyone know about carb rebuild kits or brake rebuild kits?

With those pod filters you'll need a stage three kit.  Most members here believe Factory Pro to be the best.  
I just purchased new OEM pistons and seals as a set and was shocked how cheap the kit was, something like $23.  

Got pics?

Offline racerxnico

• New user!
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2007, 12:06:48 AM »
If I may ask, where did you see a jet kit that cheap?  I don't know yet whether or not I need it, but if it turns out I do, I'd sure like to know.

I took some pics of the bike today, but have no idea how to post them.  Do they have to be hosted somewhere and linked or is there a simpler way?  

I've had a little closer look at the bike and I continue to do research online when I get the odd minute.  This is what I've learned.

I think I've got a '91 instead of a '92 (the date on the headstock is '90).

At some point, someone did some creative wiring (I found a melted connector, aftermarket signals, unconnected leads, and non-standard looking wiring).

I was mistaken about the rear fender (I didn't realize that it was a tire hugger type that was missing and that the rubber flap thing was there, but had torn out at the tabs and fallen down.

Things that I know I'll need (missing): horn, fender/ chain gaurd, carb rebuild kits, brake rebuiild kits, fork seals.

things that I want and/or may need: turn signals, center stand, stock air box

I saw a couple of these things listed on ebay, but if anyone has tips on cheaper options (I'm on a tight budget), I'd be much obliged.

thanks
j. hanner
1992 suzuki bandit 400
1992 suzuki gsx 1100g
1977 yamaha xs400 "cafe"
1974 yamaha rd200

Offline duane

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2007, 01:44:16 AM »
Quote from: "racerxnico"
If I may ask, where did you see a jet kit that cheap?  I don't know yet whether or not I need it, but if it turns out I do, I'd sure like to know.

Whooops... back up, sorry I was unclear.  You were also asking about a "brake rebuild kit".  Again, I got an OEM pistons and seals for $23. From BikeBandit.

I think images need to be hosted, but the BBCode buttons at the top of the compose-message window make it easy.

Offline Banditmax

• Board Homesteader!

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2007, 02:21:14 PM »
Quote from: "duane"
I think images need to be hosted, but the BBCode buttons at the top of the compose-message window make it easy.

Yup - they need to be hosted on a share-friendly site like Photobucket.  If you use PB, you can just take the image tag off the site and post it into the body of your message without even using the buttons.
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7