Author Topic: My bike doesnt like getting wet!! - 2 cylinders at 80-mph  (Read 3711 times)

Offline benallenuk

• Board Homesteader!
My bike doesnt like getting wet!! - 2 cylinders at 80-mph
« on: April 06, 2006, 08:50:03 AM »
Hi guys, I’ve got a ’96 V/VS bandit 4; I’ve recently changed the air-filter (cartridge type) and changed the HT leads for some ‘cut your own’.  I used the existing plug sockets and remembered to seal all the joints with the little rubber boots.  I’ve securely screwed the ht cable into the coils.  

My problem is that if the bike gets wet, i.e. stood without the cover in the rain it will refuse to start.  If I’m riding and it starts to rain, the bike might misfire, but the worse situation is if it has been raining and I’m riding back home down the motorway, spray from large cars or trucks makes the bike misfire after about 10-15 minutes of riding in the spray mist!, it’ll drop 1 cylinder, then 2 cylinders and this is when cruising at 80mph, the bikes completely dies at low revs, so I have to rev’s it like crazy if I get to some lights.

1st question is:

Will running on 2 cylinders for 15miles kill my engine?

2nd question:

What’s causing the bike to fire on 2 cylinders?  Someone suggested the coils may have splits in them (they look in good nick), or that water is getting into the plug hole, but I have the rubber seals around them.

Cheers  :thanks:

Ben

Offline Farre

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2006, 12:50:18 PM »
That's exactly what i was experiencing, what i did was replace the ht coils too and seal em up with vaseline (I use it for my bike!). I noticed what was happening as soon as i tried to touch one of the leads with the engine running, got some heavy spark on my finger! The sparks were going everywhere except to the spark plug!

My advice: Try to seal all the gaps between your rubber and the leads with vaseline
Alex
'91 B4 almost bone stock:
GK73 Inner forks& Springs
B6 Rear Shock

Offline Katamaniac

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2006, 03:02:04 PM »
I wold use Dielectric Grease instead of Vasoline. Vasoline will get very thin and run everwhere once it warms up. It will also break down over time.

The Dielectric Grease will serve two purposes; first it will make a good water resistant seal, and two it will stop any corrosion from happening.
2006 Honda ST1300

1993 Suzuki GSF400 Bandit

Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2006, 04:43:12 PM »
I just LOVE dielectric grease,  :bigok: but if you don't have any, or are too cheap to spring for some, petroleum jelly (Vasolene) will do the trick, just don't get too crazy with it (Vasolene) and the mess will be less.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2006, 08:57:03 PM »
Quote from: "Red01"
I just LOVE dielectric grease,  :bigok:

Just please don't ask him why he has a little tube of the stuff on his nightstand.   :shock:
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline interfuse

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2006, 11:54:27 PM »
Quote from: "PitterB4"

Just please don't ask him why he has a little tube of the stuff on his nightstand.   :shock:

I'll also not ask how YOU know.  :shock:  :shock:  :stickpoke:
Mike

'91 GSF400
It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow.

Offline gsxr400 racer

• I find things for a small fee....
  • Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • For all your disc golf needs...maybe i can race again someday.lol
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2006, 11:49:55 AM »
(70's show) BUUUUUUUURRRRRRNNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
1988 gsxr 400 sp (sprint bike)
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.
has been a wera expert #610 lol

Offline benallenuk

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2006, 07:37:48 PM »
Cheers for the tips guys!  I have bought some HT lead, gonna make me some new leads tommorow.  Cant afford new caps or plug at present.  Hopefully this will sort my problem.

Thanks

Ben

Offline Krautwagen

• Board Homesteader!
    • http://home.comcast.net/~jeffgundry/
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2006, 03:41:28 AM »
Before you randomly start sealing things, you should find out where the problems are.  Grab a spray bottle, fill it with water, and start the bike up at night, turn out any lights, and start spraying the ignition system down methodically.  When it starts to miss and you can see sparks, thats where your problem is.  Seal it up there.  :beers:
Dave
'92 Bandit 400 - parts
'07 SV650n

Offline benallenuk

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2006, 01:46:03 PM »
Ive made some new HT leads, have used instant gasket sealer where the ht cables go into the coils.  I will take ur advice withthe bottle if this doesnt work.

Thanks

Ben