Author Topic: Spark doesn't show  (Read 21507 times)

Offline banditcilik

• Board Homesteader!
Spark doesn't show
« on: March 18, 2005, 10:57:51 PM »
Hi, I really need help with my bike. I posted my Q on the old website about engine reluctant to start. After visit several service station finally there's one mechanic who clearly point the culprit. For cold start the spark doesn't show until some ten or more engine cranking. But he can not confirm whether it is a igniter problem or pick up coil problem since he doesn't have other unit to swap them and experimenting. Strangely when the engine already hot, this problem also happens. I really really hate to replace the black box since it costs me a fortune. Does anybody know or experienced this kind of problem??

Thanks

Offline Maniac

• Board Homesteader!
    • http://www.bikepics.com/members/plan9/93bandit400/
Spark doesn't show
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2005, 02:51:46 AM »
There are ways to test just about every component of the electrical system with a multimeter, except for the igniter (although if everything else works fine, it's pretty much a process of elimination thing). I don't have my manual available at the moment, maybe someone else can look up the procedure for checking the pickup and coils? I can't recall if there is one for checking the regulator or not.

If the igniter -is- bad, and you are handy with a soldering gun, you may be able to repair it yourself. Several people on the board have done so. Check http://forums.banditalley.net/viewtopic.php?t=431 for more information!

2008 GSXR-750

Offline banditcilik

• Board Homesteader!
Re: Spark doesn't show
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2005, 01:35:45 PM »
Gosh, Maniac just when I read through the link given by you then I remember one stupidity I've done. I jump started this bike after a major paintwork! Do you think replacing the capacitor will fix my bike or better to check the pick up first?

Thanks.

Offline Maniac

• Board Homesteader!
Spark doesn't show
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2005, 03:01:14 PM »
I'd check the pick up first, just because it's easy to do and requires no major disassembly (unless it tests bad, then you have to pull the side cover).

What kind of condition are the High-Voltage leads on the ignition coils? I've heard of a few people pulling the caps and trimming the leads a bit before reinstalling the caps do to cracks and such in the wires. That could cause an intermittent spark problem, but I'm not sure if you'd get the consistant problem you are reporting.

The CDI work is a major undertaking, seperating the casing frightens me a little since if you screw it up you can make the problem worse. I'd tackle that only after checking the rest of the electrical system for faults. Don't forget to check your kill switch contacts as well, mine were dirty and causing wierd missfire/no-start problems for a while.

2008 GSXR-750

Offline badidou

• TURBO TYPER!
Spark doesn't show
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2005, 03:02:13 PM »
That sux dude. I had the same problem with mine. The only difference is that after a while the byke did not want to start anymore. I changed the capacitors on the Ignitor then it worked perfectly for a couple weeks and shoooo the same problem again. I took it to a friend of mine who tested it and found out that that the regulators inside the box were defective i had to orderd them and replace them. Worked fine, i have sparks on all the cylinders. Anyway, now i m having other problems does not idle...  :duh:
Good look.....

Offline banditcilik

• Board Homesteader!
Spark doesn't show
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2005, 10:57:09 AM »
Now this scares me a li'l bit badidou. After reading the link maniac gave me I thought fixing the black box is a simple matter of capacitor replacement. Do you mean there's a regulator module inside the CDI? How do I check the problem inside CDI?

Thanks

Offline badidou

• TURBO TYPER!
Spark doesn't show
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2005, 10:33:57 AM »
No worries man.
Check out this website:
http://www.donberg.ie/descript/2/2sd798.htm

It's what we replacedd on the CDI box, and it worked.

Offline Thief400

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • http://www.members.shaw.ca/cgard
Spark doesn't show
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2005, 01:27:22 PM »
You replaced a transitor not the  capacitors. They rarely fail. I'd go back in and change the right parts this time

Offline badidou

• TURBO TYPER!
Spark doesn't show
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2005, 03:28:14 PM »
Actually i replaced both. The capacitors first it worked ok for couple weeks then  the same problem.  :soapbox: Then i changed the transistors and it worked.

Offline gsxr400 racer

• I find things for a small fee....
  • Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • For all your disc golf needs...maybe i can race again someday.lol
Spark doesn't show
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2005, 12:54:29 AM »
OKAY let me jump into this cdi shit. I just bought a used gsxr 400 cdi for my bike and no go junk. So isa got to be fixxn it .But i found something new out. but first let me ask a question from you all . On your wirring harness the 2 plugs that go to the CDI box. the big one has 4 wires and the little one has, how many?????????????????
1988 gsxr 400 sp (sprint bike)
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.
has been a wera expert #610 lol

Offline Maniac

• Board Homesteader!
Spark doesn't show
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2005, 09:01:45 AM »
Quote from: "badidou"
Actually i replaced both. The capacitors first it worked ok for couple weeks then  the same problem.  :soapbox: Then i changed the transistors and it worked.

I don't know where those transistors are in the circuit, but transistors don't likely fail unless they either overheat or are hit with a power surge. I'd have your voltage regulator checked out ASAP, it's possible that it's not doing it's job, which lead to the failure of those transistors.

2008 GSXR-750

Offline Thief400

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • http://www.members.shaw.ca/cgard
Spark doesn't show
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2005, 09:24:18 AM »
I have to agree with Maniac, there's a reason the transistors failed. Like he said maybe a power surge or the bike may have had the wrong ignition coils put on it. There is the slight possability that the capacitors caused the transistor to fail but I would look else where to the sure .

Offline Bandit

• Board Homesteader!
Spark doesn't show
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2005, 09:55:42 AM »
I have a faulty spare bandit 400 which I tried to repair by replacing the capacitors and it didn;t work. I have check with a local bikeshop and they told me they have successfully repair the bandit400 successfully by replacing the transistor.

I like to know is this the correct spec for the transistor posted on the website for replacing the old one on my CDI board? because I couldn't find any reading on the old  transistor.

2SD 798
NPN - DARLINGTON / 600V / 6A / 30W/B>1K5
TO220 = 2SD1071
B4 Mod: K&N crankcase & air filter;gsxr750 rear shock;grounding wire;gsxr400 blinkers;Super 4 mirrors;fork protector;chain oiler;Hel front brake hose;Kappa windshield;Givi maxia box;fan/ headlight/hazard light switch;Stebel horn

Offline badidou

• TURBO TYPER!
Spark doesn't show
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2005, 10:35:18 AM »
Actually THE REFERENCE NUMBER FOR THE ONE I REPLACED  is: 2SD1071 HOWEVER THE 2SD 798 LOOKS LIKE IT'S COMPATIBLE. i WOULD DOUBLE CHECK WITH A VENDOR BEFORE TO INSTALL IT.

I BOUGHT THEM FROM "Tinkertronics, 512-926-4420, 1133 Airport Blvd, Austin, TX, 78702". You can call them
I was really impressed to be able to order them through the regular chanel without having to spend hours online and try to figure out which one is which.   As it happened to me when i had to replace the capacitors it was just pain in the ass to get the heat-treated one. [/img]

Offline badidou

• TURBO TYPER!
Spark doesn't show
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2005, 10:36:12 AM »
How the hell do i add a picture to my message?/??????  :duh: [/img]