Author Topic: high idle after carb rebuild  (Read 3338 times)

Offline thaibandit

• New user!
high idle after carb rebuild
« on: July 17, 2011, 02:18:12 AM »
Hi Guys,
This is my first post, but I have been reading the posts here for a while.  Anyway I am living in Thailand, and I have a Bandit vv -400.  I had many of the common problems everyone else has experienced related to carbs, ie.  hard starts, uneven idle, no start, flat spots.  I experienced just about everything.  Anyway after being told that my carb was 'broken'  by an knowledgeable mechanic, I decided to rebuild it myself.  The rebuild went well but I don't think that it had been opened since it was built.  Anyway  I changed the o-rings, put in new needles, and set the floats.  I set the mixture screws at 2.5 turns, the same as they were when I tore it down.

Anyway, after I put it all back together, I started it up without the airfilter box.  It idles, fast about 6,500.  it is also getting a little gray/whitish smoke when starting up, but I attribute that to the fact that the bike has been sitting for a couple of months, it burns off after a couple of minutes.   I have attempted to adjust the throttle adjustment but there was no change.  What is weird is that when I allow the vacuum to suck in air, the idle lowers to 2,500.  I have tried several variations including attaching the airbox, and looking for leaks in the inlet boots, and intake manifold.  Anyone know what this could be, I am perplexed.  I am going to adjust the throttle screws on each carb down a little maybe to 2 revolutions to see if it helps.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks a lot!

Offline Vested

• TURBO TYPER!
Re: high idle after carb rebuild
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2011, 04:08:28 PM »
When you look down the carbs when it's running are the throttle bodies (butterfly valves) closed or no?

Offline thaibandit

• New user!
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2011, 12:59:28 AM »
Hi thanks for replying, the butterflies are closed I adjusted them so that they closed completely, all except for one which has a very little gap.  When I pulled it off I had to adjust this because each carb did not close completely.  I also found some black stoppers in the idle jet port hole, not sure why. 

Offline Vested

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2011, 11:12:35 AM »
Those are supposed to be there. The idle jet actually pulls from a hole in the side of the main jets.

Just to make sure, the idle jet (screws in to the front of the carb in one of the two little holes) is still in there right?

Offline thaibandit

• New user!
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2011, 01:12:10 AM »
Ok so I will put the stoppers back in today.  As for the idle jet, I assume you are talking about the passage that the stopper is blocking.  If that is what you mean, then yes, there is a jet screw inside of there.  I tired to take those out to clean them but couldn't do it in the end so I just sprayed some air through them.  I could take a picture and post it today when I take it apart.  Thanks again.  I'm hoping the stopper thing will help a little.