Author Topic: ignition problems  (Read 4579 times)

Offline sonicrs

• New user!
ignition problems
« on: March 20, 2005, 11:54:42 AM »
hi guys I was on the old board, posted my problems there.. ( cylinders 1and 4 had no fire or intermittent fire).
so I tested the coils ( they seemed ok  with in factory spec for resistance)
tested the wires from the cdi. ( they were good)
so I decided to send it in carmo electronics to get fixed, they checked the unit and it was ok?!?!? so I had them upgraded the electronics and they also advanced the timming)

I get it abck and starts fine and 20 minutes later.. bam starts acting up again..?!?!?!?
same thing 1 and 4 are not firing.. so I pull the coil and guess what it testes bad.. ok.. I check the board.. check ebay..(for another coil) I decide to check it again.. it tests ok..   test again  and bad... ok the coil is POO!

this was in the fall,  I missed out on a couple of coils on ebay.. and nowI haven't seen one sence xmas!! damn!

I have been looking every day.. with no luck

will a coil/coils from a bandit or GSX-R work? has anyone ever done this?

or does anyone have  a spare coil/coils???

and also how do you test for a pick-up coil?? and could a pick-up coil produce this kind of  malfunction (I know my coil is bad.. I am just curious and I know little about bike ignition systems..)

thanks guys..

btw great board...

Offline gsxr400 racer

• I find things for a small fee....
  • Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • For all your disc golf needs...maybe i can race again someday.lol
ignition problems
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2005, 12:18:18 PM »
got some , coils need both or just one, wich side if one. 100.00 for a set off my race bike. i bought NOLOGY pro fire coils but would keep stock as spares.let me know
jay :beers:
1988 gsxr 400 sp (sprint bike)
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.
has been a wera expert #610 lol

Offline sonicrs

• New user!
ignition problems
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2005, 10:54:01 AM »
thanks for the offer, $100 is abit much as exchange and shipping would put these  over $160 canadian, and I seen them going for under 30 USD a set on ebay..

thanks again

Offline Maniac

• Board Homesteader!
    • http://www.bikepics.com/members/plan9/93bandit400/
ignition problems
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2005, 02:17:40 PM »
According to BikeBandit, the coils are about $87.... each!

Ouch.

The problem with getting them off Ebay is knowing if they are actually good or not, they are also going to be used and probally about the same age. I'd be wary of spending much for them.

Something else to consider is an Accell coil kit. I know there was a post on the forums earlier about a guy frying his Igniter with the Accell coils, but that was because the dealer sold him the CDI coils and not the electronically triggered ones (our bikes have electronically triggered coils, sort of a points system without moving parts).

The proper part number, I believe, is #140403 and can be purchased from Motorcycle Accessory Warehouse for about $120 for the full kit (coils, wires, such).

Good luck!

2008 GSXR-750

Offline sonicrs

• New user!
ignition problems
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2005, 08:02:10 PM »
thanks for the info,

a few questions

doesn't the bandit have a CDI system?(capasitive discharge ignition system) I am new to bikes.

I also looked for that post no luck.. thanks again..

Offline Maniac

• Board Homesteader!
    • http://www.bikepics.com/members/plan9/93bandit400/
ignition problems
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2005, 08:15:28 PM »
No, the Bandit does not have a CDI, although some shops will tell you this. CDI ignitions require largish capacitors, looking at pictures of the Digitial Igniter box you'll realize it's nothing more than a simple computer.

There is a magnetic pickup coil that sends a signal to the Digital Igniter, the igniter then energizes the coils. In this case think of the pickup as a set of points and realize that the Digital Igniter is just there for solid-state timing advance and rev-limiting. Actually, it does more, since there is just one pickup for 4 cylinders. Not knowing the specifics I can only assume the signal from the pickup is different every 180 degrees or so, so that the igniter knows what coils to energize.

Oh, and I think the igniter also drives your Tachometer.

2008 GSXR-750

Offline kabatza

• New user!
ignition problems
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2005, 12:14:26 AM »
i think standard suzuki coils will do fine. they look very similar and have the same specs. I'm not sure about all the suzukis but bandits seem to share the same coils.

Offline b4cruz

• Board Homesteader!
ignition problems
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2005, 02:42:34 AM »
since you are in canada, with shipping and all
I say just go for an upgraded aftermarket set nonCDI
its not much more than buying stock new ones

and with USA bikes -  they are so damn old
(only 91-93) you are really taking
a chance on the coil actually working

maybe if you found one locally that you could
see personally and check out before you buy