Author Topic: Low compression on 2 cylinders!!  (Read 4036 times)

Offline chef

• Board Homesteader!
Low compression on 2 cylinders!!
« on: January 28, 2012, 12:50:34 PM »
As mentioned in a prior post,discovered a pilot jet was missing.
After finally getting the parts from Australia & installed we now have another problem,more major i am thinking. :banghead:
The bike starts but has no power at all & discovered that 3/4 cylinder have not much compression,1/2 feel strong. ( New rings were installed prior to 1 1/2 years storage)
A lot of oily water spewed from the exhaust & after removing the headers there was also a lot in there so i am guessing either the rings were not installed correctly or they were seized during storage.
Any ideas what to check before i have to crack the head?

Cheers,
Matt

Offline Chris H

• Board Homesteader!
Re: Low compression on 2 cylinders!!
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2012, 08:48:53 AM »
Could water in there  due to a blown head gasket, i would get it apart.

Offline raptorsc

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2012, 04:18:30 PM »
If it has been stored a long time - and there has been oily water in the cylinder/s - you will almost have to consider it screwed!

The smallest amount of corrosion in the cylinder will allow the very small amount of air being compressed to escape a bit - and its all over so far as power goes

If you get stuck and need a bottom end I have a 2000 model bottom that is perfect - we could negotiate a price

2000 GSF250V

Australia

Offline chef

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2012, 01:14:23 PM »
Stopped by the mechanic tonight & the engine was out,ready to be put back in tomorrow,thats normal here,will never call & tell you what is the problem,just go ahead & fix it.
He reckons the head gasket is ok,but found 3 valves were stuck open,slight amount of surface rust on the stem.hmmm.
Does it sound possible that sitting for so long in a humid climate like Bali,the oil drained dried on the cylinder walls & rust formed?
Have to wait & see i guess when he installs the engine.

Offline pmackie

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2012, 02:41:36 PM »
Does it sound possible that sitting for so long in a humid climate like Bali,the oil drained dried on the cylinder walls & rust formed?

Yes...but if there was enough rust/oxide formation to cause the valves to stick open, I would be worried about the valve seats, valve seals, and rings as well.

Hopefully they went through the engine properly, and haven't cost you more than the bike is worth.
Paul
2002-GSF600S, Progressive Fork Springs, B12 Shock,
SS Brake lines, EBC HH pads, Leo Vince Ex & Kappa bags.
Ex Bike Mechanic (late 70's), somewhat rusty
32 years in the Fuel/lubes industry(Retired)

Offline raptorsc

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2012, 03:50:48 PM »
If all fixed and running again then you cant ask for more than that!

Ride on  :thumb:
2000 GSF250V

Australia