Author Topic: Tank Grips  (Read 3072 times)

Offline tomacGTi

• Board Homesteader!
Tank Grips
« on: June 22, 2011, 04:45:41 PM »
I worked out a pattern with someone who makes tank grips on the SV boards. As you all know, NOONE makes these for the B4 and if you ride aggressively, they help a great deal with bike control cornering, accelerating and braking.

If anyone is interested, his email is:

bighammer@chartermi.net

They're $25 for the pair and well worth it. Anyone's universal tank grip kit is $40 and these are a direct-mount, no cutting necessary.

Offline canyonbreeze

• Board Homesteader!
Re: Tank Grips
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2011, 03:03:15 PM »
What type of rubber and adhesive are used?

Offline tomacGTi

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2011, 07:27:13 PM »
It's a textured self-adhesive rubber.

I'd almost say epdm based but Pete (Mr Hammer grips) would be the better ask. I've had the chance to ride with them and they're grippy and not intrusive at all.

If you search SVrider.com for hammergrips, you'll see a ton more pictures and information. I was going to try something similar but he's already done all of the hard work for me.

Offline interfuse

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2011, 04:05:52 PM »
Lookin' good!

Off topic, how do you like the rearsets? I haven't had time to install mine yet... the bike keeps developing new "projects" for me.
Mike

'91 GSF400
It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow.

Offline tomacGTi

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2011, 05:22:14 PM »
The rear sets are pretty awesome: the bike should have come with them from the start, cornering is pretty much limitless now. Longer rides are more of a compromise though because of the height. You get used to it though.

The center stand foot sits directly under the footpeg so if you think your centerstand is limiting you, I beg to differ.

At the last trackday even with raised and shorter pegs, I could still drag a toe slider no matter how much I hung off. If that happens now, I did something truly wrong in the corner.

The track grips help with the rearsets because you can no longer use the frame and knee bumpers to hold you up (different position). You can clamp down with your thighs now and can use the tank as an anchor point when hanging off or moreso when braking.

Offline interfuse

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2011, 01:51:38 PM »
Good to know. Once our stupid postal strike is over I'll contact him.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2011, 02:47:58 AM by interfuse »
Mike

'91 GSF400
It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow.