Author Topic: Going to see a German-model B4 tomorrow... Some advice, please?  (Read 3157 times)

Offline 92mx83

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
It's being parted out.  I'm guessing the seller is correct in his description since it has the dual-disc front, speedo in km's, and the "Slingshot" decal on the tank.  Color is dark metallic green.

The owner just bought the bike to complete his B4 resto, but it doesn't look like he went with the dual-disc fork... At any rate, since I'm already going to be doing a USD conversion, I may pick up this fork for shits-n-giggles if he hasn't bogarted it for future use and if the price is right.

The seller's bike:

I'm thinking of getting the fuel tank, since it's in much better shape than mine. I'll also be picking up some of the plastic and a few small bits like the radiator covers.  Other than that, would there be anything else I should consider picking up?  CDI? He did say the engine runs, but I'm not sure I need another... 
"Crush enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentation of the women!" - Conan the Barbarian, on what is good in life

Offline Herr Tod

• Board Homesteader!
Re: Going to see a German-model B4 tomorrow... Some advice, please?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2008, 05:46:26 PM »
This model comes with a stainless steel exhaust. If the rear fairing is in good shape I would like to buy it from you? Same color as mine, a bit rare. I'd pick up the engine covers too, these are always needed as spares since the bike usually slides over them. Carbs are 33's. CDI is always good, this model has a 32900-10D00 box with the rev limiter at 14500. This box only works with pre 93 models, after that they get a different starter clutch with a different ignition timing plate.

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2008, 09:27:50 PM »
Man - that red and black thing ain't my cup-o-tea. 

Yeah... the CDI and engine covers would be good pick-ups.
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline 92mx83

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2008, 03:55:20 AM »
If the rear fairing is in good shape I would like to buy it from you?

If the condition is good, I'll send you pics of the tail plastic... :bandit:
"Crush enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentation of the women!" - Conan the Barbarian, on what is good in life

Offline GooseMan

• Board Homesteader!
    • http://www.soundwerksaudio.com
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2008, 10:22:39 AM »
what the hell is that thing sticking out the side? A steering damper!?  :shock:
1991 Bandit 400

Offline gsxr400 racer

• I find things for a small fee....
  • Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • For all your disc golf needs...maybe i can race again someday.lol
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2008, 12:44:31 PM »
yes sir :motorsmile:
1988 gsxr 400 sp (sprint bike)
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.
has been a wera expert #610 lol

Offline Forde

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2008, 09:19:59 PM »
that green bike looks pretty clean, why would he break it?

get the steering damper if you can.  Thats a jap model bandit, dunno wat model germany got they could well have got the same one.

sellers bike is lovely
If you cant join them, beat them...

Offline tomacGTi

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2008, 09:40:31 PM »
Hell, I would buy the whole thing, take what I needed including the front wheel/dual front caliper setup and part the rest.

Only negative I can see is shipping out of Hawaii is insane-expenive. Or, see what the bike needs, fix it up and flip it or keep it. These bikes are rare enough let alone getting your hands on a Euro model.

-Randy

Offline Herr Tod

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2008, 02:10:20 PM »
that green bike looks pretty clean, why would he break it?

get the steering damper if you can.  Thats a jap model bandit, dunno wat model germany got they could well have got the same one.

sellers bike is lovely

It's almost the same as the Japanese model. The difference is in the carburator tops, they have a ring in them which restricts slide movement and limits power to 50 HP. Other differences are electrical and they have a handlebar instead of clipons.

Offline 92mx83

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2008, 06:00:09 PM »
The seller bogarted the dual-disc front-end, as I suspected would happened.  By the time I got there, the forks had already been swapped onto his black and red B4. :sad:  He also took the steering damper.

I asked him as to why he didn't register the Euro-model bike, and he said it is actually too difficult to get it registered here in Hawaii (not surprising, as my friend is having a lot of trouble legitimizing his Aprilia RS250), and so he figured he'd just part it out (he paid only $600 for the Euro bike).  He already had a buyer for the engine (so no engine cases for me), and the CDI was bad to begin with.

I ended up getting the gauges, the tank and plastics (Herr Tod, I will PM you regarding the tail section), as well as the chain, a footpeg bracket, radiator side covers and grille.