Author Topic: Stupid crappy f***ing float valves!!  (Read 6823 times)

Offline interfuse

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Stupid crappy f***ing float valves!!
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2007, 10:34:42 PM »
Here's an oldie goldie about clogged pilots. Ahhh..  the good ol' days.
Mike

'91 GSF400
It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow.

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2007, 10:46:12 PM »
OH SHIT - without clicking the link I KNEW that was my post!  LOL!   :lol:
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline interfuse

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2007, 10:53:02 PM »
It's the most extensive post on clogged pilot hell. And even has elements of dutch ovens and olestra farts... Rob, the new thing that I can't help laughing about is "sharts"... youtube "shart tales" when you have 8 minutes and the kids aren't around.
Mike

'91 GSF400
It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow.

Offline andrewsw

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2007, 10:56:43 PM »
okay, that was good reading. especially the dutch oven parts...

new symptom, after going through the floats real good and flushing gas through the whole gas supply line and getting a few more flakes out (that includes the little passages between the carbs.

I'm getting fuel coming OUT of the two holes in the airbox side of the carb throat. Wah? I guess I've got to take them all the way down to nothing...

any ideas

A

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2007, 11:08:37 PM »
OMG Mike, I had totally forgotten the whole olestra fiasco!  Totally LMAO!  For anyone wondering how that post degenerated, click here.  I have actual tears running down my face from laughing so hard....

I'll hit up you tube when the kids go to bed!
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2007, 11:12:31 PM »
Quote from: "andrewsw"
okay, that was good reading. especially the dutch oven parts...

new symptom, after going through the floats real good and flushing gas through the whole gas supply line and getting a few more flakes out (that includes the little passages between the carbs.

I'm getting fuel coming OUT of the two holes in the airbox side of the carb throat. Wah? I guess I've got to take them all the way down to nothing...

any ideas

A

Yes.... you need to tear them all the way down.  Sorry dude.  If it's that bad, I'd at least drain the tank, pull the petcock clean that filter and probably replace the fuel line.  The line may have sediment sticking to the sides.
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline Banditmax

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2007, 05:24:46 AM »
Yep id say thats sticking floats again or maybe you need new float needles?

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2007, 07:31:57 AM »
Quote from: "PitterB4"

any ideas

A

Yes.... you need to tear them all the way down.  Sorry dude.  If it's that bad, I'd at least drain the tank, pull the petcock clean that filter and probably replace the fuel line.  The line may have sediment sticking to the sides.

BTW... I meant that in addition to a thorough cleaning of the carbs... every little passage.
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline Banditmax

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2007, 07:44:24 AM »
Maybe worth you investing in an ultrasonic cleaner for your carbs. I did and theyre alot better since then.

Offline gsxr400 racer

• I find things for a small fee....
  • Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • For all your disc golf needs...maybe i can race again someday.lol
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2007, 11:49:49 AM »
Quote from: "duane"
still *MORE* crap in the line to be flushed out.

Just what line are you talking about?  The hose that goes from the petcock to the carb bodies?  Doubtful there's anything large enough to pass through the petcock filters and still be stuck in the hose.  

I cant believe after all these posts no one yet has mentioned clogged jets.  If a lot of particles have passed into the carbs it would be the first thing I'd head for.  Especially the idle jets.  If and when you do get there, pass a piece of wire through them, don't just blow air through them.  Good luck.

by now if anyone with a Suzuki 400 in-line doesn't go throughout the great carb info on here i don't know what to say so many years of saying the same stuff. all the info to everything is on this board if everyone just looks hey you might find a post that teaches you something else in the process.
1988 gsxr 400 sp (sprint bike)
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.
has been a wera expert #610 lol

Offline andrewsw

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2007, 12:19:49 PM »
SO, yeah, it was one more little chunk. The last time I pulled the carbs and flushed everything really well, all the float needles were moving freely, but apparently, there was a speck in the body of float needle #1 and it finally turned its way sideways and jammed the needle.

Amazingly, everything else seems good. I ran a wire through everything and I'd pulled the idle screws previously. So despite dumping a metric assload of carp through those carbs, the worst I had was a really bad case of stuck float needles.

And to all thanks for the advice.  

gsxr400: indeed. there is a huge amount of really good info here if you just dig a little. Believe me I've learned a ton, even if I don't quite apply it properly. What I find amazing is all the stuff Im learning about my previous bandit that I never knew. That bike was great, but if I'd known what I know now it would have been even better.

cheers

A

Offline gsxr400 racer

• I find things for a small fee....
  • Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • For all your disc golf needs...maybe i can race again someday.lol
« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2007, 01:30:58 PM »
So despite dumping a metric assload of carp through those carbs,

do they stink really bad after that. LOL good deal man i know what you mean i think to know a lot and i still learn stuff about my bike from here. lol
cheers and happy ridding.
1988 gsxr 400 sp (sprint bike)
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.
has been a wera expert #610 lol

Offline andrewsw

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2007, 02:31:55 PM »
gsxr400 racer quipped:
andrewsw wrote:

So despite dumping a metric assload of carp through those carbs,

do they stink really bad after that.

yeah. luckily the carp scales are too big to get down the little jets. Its when the bike has shad itself allover that there's real problems. Those tiny scales get everywhere...  ;-P

yup. she's purring now. thanks all

A

Offline Russtang

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • http://russruss.com
« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2007, 06:31:38 PM »
Quote from: "Banditmax"
And watch out i put in an inline filter the other day and it sucked wouldnt flow enough petrol for the carbs.

Same thing happened to me.  Bought an inline paper filter at the local auto store that wouldn't flow for crap.

Of course I was changing two things at once at the time (fuel filter and air/fuel mixture) & it took a while to figure it out.  I'd get the bike running fine, then it would slowly lean out and die on me.  Pull the carbs, turn the screws and repeat the process...It couldn't be the filter.  It's brand new!  

Finally realized it didn't flow very well and replaced it with a plastic mesh type filter (like the design of the one in the tank).  I think the auto type paper filters need more pressure than just gravity to flow fuel.

Offline andrewsw

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2007, 02:18:34 PM »
need more pressure. that's a really good point. I never thought of that. And of course it makes sense. You usually see those filters between the fuel pump and the carb/fi. And some cars of course have two fuel pumps.

Well for the record, there exists (at least in Schucks stores) a glass bodied, universal, cleanable fuel filter. Retails about $11 US and seems to work just fine. It certainly flows well and you can see clearly if you've got fuel and how dirty the filter is. I think its pretty sweet.