Author Topic: Bad mileage????  (Read 2825 times)

Offline sirdarkheart

• Board Homesteader!
Bad mileage????
« on: June 14, 2006, 12:46:49 AM »
Umm... is there a bad mileage thread or a MPG thread for the B4? I did a search and could not find one. Anyways, I only went 81 miles before I hit reserve! That's pretty bad considering I filled up 3.5 gallons when I went to the gas station. Of course, I was running richer until today. What gas mileage do you guys get in the twisties, cruising on the highway, or city driving?
Thx,
D

Offline BrianM

• Board Homesteader!
Bad mileage????
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2006, 02:57:44 AM »
I just searched on this yesterday and there are a few...   general consensus is that 40mpg seems to be the norm.  So about 120 miles before reserve...

If you're getting less, then you ought to look at things like the brakes ~ are they dragging?  Chain and sprockets ~ adjusted correctly, lubed and not excessviyl worn?  Wheel bearings ~ lubed and spinning freely?  Then you also get into the general tune of the engine..  are valves adjusted, carbs not running overly rich, air filter properly oiled and not too dirty, petcock and fuel needles in good shape so gas isn't flowing when the bikes off, etc...

Then there's Always the last thing, riding style...   do you use a lot of gas and brake?  Or are you smooth on the throttle, coasting to stops and rarely in higher RPMS.  I know I can alter my cars MPG by almost 8 mpg in Just driving style (old man mode vs. punk kid mode).
Cheers,

BrianM ~ 1991 Bandit 400

Offline sirdarkheart

• Board Homesteader!
Bad mileage????
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2006, 03:38:07 PM »
Cool,
   Thx for the reply! I'm glad that it is 40mg! I hope to be reaching that soon.  :thanks:

Offline Farre

• Board Homesteader!
Bad mileage????
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2006, 04:39:48 PM »
40mpg, how much is that in euro-speak ?
Currently i'm trying to find how much the radius is as well, this time i reached 194.6km and i topped the tank with 10.84litres, that makes 5.38litres per 100km.

How big was the tank again? 14litres? calculated i should reach almost 300km (including RES), roughly and optimistically speaking, right?
Alex
'91 B4 almost bone stock:
GK73 Inner forks& Springs
B6 Rear Shock

Offline PaulVS

• Board Homesteader!
Bad mileage????
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2006, 04:47:20 PM »
Quote from: Farre
40mpg, how much is that in euro-speak ?

40 miles per gallon = 10 miles per liter (approx)

Offline interfuse

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Bad mileage????
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2006, 04:50:58 PM »
I've converted it before, but I'm too lazy to do it now. I think it's 17km / Litre...
Mike

'91 GSF400
It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow.

Offline Thief400

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • http://www.members.shaw.ca/cgard
Bad mileage????
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2006, 07:14:07 PM »
If i'm tearing up the back roads I have burned up 14L in 160 KM. If i'm cruising down the hwy I get about 220 to 240 KM before i hit reserve.

Offline sirdarkheart

• Board Homesteader!
Bad mileage????
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2006, 08:02:51 PM »
Cool,
   Tis good to know I'm not that far off then  :motorsmile: