Author Topic: So where to go from here?  (Read 3085 times)

Offline Vidrazor

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
So where to go from here?
« on: January 30, 2007, 11:22:56 AM »
Well, as I posted in another thread, I've been looking around for a while for a replacement for my B4, as I'd like to get something  that I can take on a long distance trek.  I was originally pretty sold on an SV650, as it's the most direct replacement for the B4 in my opinion. The V-Strom 650 was the next closest contender, with some caveats.

Checking out some bikes over at the Motorcycle Expo at Javits in NYC, I started to think a few others would be pretty decent options as well. These are the  Yamaha FZ-1 and Honda 919. I've also seen the Triumph Sprint ST (not at the bike show, what's up with Triumph on that anyway?) as a possible contender, although a somewhat more distant one.

Of all of these I found the 919 to be the  most attractive because it offered a decent sized  engine, had a comfortable seating (and legging) position, felt surprising light and nimble (at least tossing it left and right on the show floor), and is a true naked bike (no fairing whatsoever). I can easily throw my National Cycle Plexistar II on it (or take it off if desired), add some saddlebags, and off I go. It's a bit overpriced for  what it is, but overall I thought it was a good  option for replacing the B4.

The V-Strom, while it's travel-ready out of the box, is a bit high for me and appears top-heavy. It also has a giant opening in the fairing cowl that looks like it'd be one hell of a wind blaster in the cold weather.

The FZ-1 is a nice feeling bike as well, very light and nimble feeling, although I'm a bit turned-off by the fairing. What's great about truly naked bikes like the SV650 and 919 is that you have a multitude of fairing options.

The Sprint ST strikes me as a decent bike, although I haven't been able to check one out yet. It strikes me as a bit heavier than I'd like, on paper anyway.

So at this time the SV650 and the 919 seem like the best bets for me. Regardless, I'd like to hear any opinions any of you have on any of these bikes, or if you can think of anything similar, that would be welcome as well. Basically what I'm looking for is a lightweight street bike, preferably truly naked,  with a decent-sized water-cooled engine that isn't overpriced (re: nix Italian and German bikes, although BMW's 800ST wasn't too horribly overpriced :wink: ).

Thanks for your input. :beers:

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2007, 11:47:23 AM »
Both are fine bikes. The SV ought to be easiler to toss around due to it's slimmer profile and lower weight. The 919 will be the faster one.

What about the SV1000? That would have the power and the slimness - and if you want a naked one, there's always the used market.

I know you said water-cooled, but you could stay in the Bandit camp with a naked B12 (2001-2003 in the US).

The Triumph Speed Triple would be at the top of my list for a totally naked new bike available in the US.

Then there's the Aprilia Tuono... it's classed as a naked bike, but IMHO, it's got almost as much plastic as a Mille, it just hugs the motor closer.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline interfuse

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2007, 01:42:28 PM »
I don't think an sv650 is much of a step up from the bandit 400. But SV1000 has been on the top of my bike list for a couple of years now. Also I was recently looking at a trashed Triumph T595. I figured I could make it naked when a little effort (most of the damage was cosmetic anyhow).

In reality I can't bring myself to sell the bandit and don't have room to park two bikes. So I'm keeping the bandit for at least another year. I might end up taking the bandit out east to my parents place so I have something to ride when I go visit (and then I wouldnt have to sell it and I could store it for free)....
Mike

'91 GSF400
It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow.

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2007, 02:25:53 PM »
The SV650 isn't a huge step performance-wise (although 15hp and a good bit of additional torque isn't a bad thing) but if you look at it in terms of reliability, parts availability and aftermarket support, it's a reasonable "upgrade."  

If you have an interest in naked liter bikes, what about a Speed Trip?
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline stormi

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
  • BOFH
    • stormi's other hobbies
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2007, 02:45:05 PM »
One thing I've railed about since the day I got the B4, is parts availability.  

Now, a lot of the parts that we can use come off the GS500, GSXR600 - 750, and even the SV650s.  

NONE are ever in stock at the dealers, and the word I usually get from them is that it will have to come from Japan.  6 -8 weeks is usually the optimistic estimate.  Now this could be just Suzuki Canada being incompetent, as I have gotten parts out of Suzuki US, via Bike Bandit faster, but it is worth considering availability.

The SV is a twin, IIRC, so it will be somewhat different than you're used to in power and maintenance.  

According to wikipedia, the 2003 and up SVs are FI.  That would be a really good thing to consider.  The difference between the carbs on the B4 and the FI on the 919 is night and day.  I hate the B4s carbs. (love the bike, hate her breathing apparatus.)  The 919, I just start it up and go.  Bliss.  

That said, if I've ever had to order a part for the 919, it's been no more than 2 days away.  

It's a "retuned" version of the CBR900 fireblade engine of a couple of years back.  It can be tuned to make more power than it does currently with a power commander.  (106HP and 65 ft/lb of torque as dynoed.) It's a strong torquey engine, that you can lug along, or you can be all manner of hooligan on.   (In fact, that's a large part of the reason the other half doesn't like to ride it.  He finds himself being a hooligan on the bike too much and prefers to not have the option.)  Because the bike makes it's power down low, you can be cruising at 120kph and barely feel it in the engine.  (Not so good in a 50kph zone.)   There are a number of parts that the 919 can share with the CBR900, 929, and 954.  

And there are a few good forums for the Fireblades.

Now,.. here's another kicker.  What's the insurance cost on the SV650?  I suspect that it's classed with the 600s, which means it could be a god awful kick in the pants every year for anything other than 3rd party liability.   At least here, the 919 hasn't hit the radar yet.  The SV was going to cost me about 1/3 more than the 919.  

My vote is for a 919.  Best to find one used, then the price isn't that bad, or find a dealer with a leftover 2006.  I've sat on the SV650, and it felt ok to me, but there was something I liked better on the 919.  I can't put my finger on what it is, but it's more comfortable to me than the SV, and that's important on a long run.
stormi

Dita - 91 Bandit 400 - SOLD
Blue - 02 Hornet 919 - Perfect Gentleman
02 KTM 200 EXC - Sold
08 VFR800 - Lowered 1.2"
17 KTM RC390
17 Husky TC85 converted to 105

Electrosport Charging System Test - it really works

Offline Vidrazor

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2007, 02:52:04 PM »
Thanks for all the replies so far.

>>If you have an interest in naked liter bikes, what about a Speed Trip?<<

It's kinda ugly to me, and seems like it'd be difficult to put saddlebags on it. The bike needn't be a liter, I just noticed that the FZ-1 and 919 were surprising light feeling for their size compared to some other 1000s I checked out that day. I haven't seen any naked SV1000s, only the faired SV1000S sport bike, which I believed is cammed and geared differently. Not sure if the naked '1000 is in the 'States, maybe used (which is fine with me).

Offline stormi

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
  • BOFH
    • stormi's other hobbies
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2007, 03:09:32 PM »
Quote from: "Vidrazor"
I just noticed that the FZ-1 and 919 were surprising light feeling for their size compared to some other 1000s I checked out that day.

The 919 is quite light. I know that was one of my fears when I got it. At 5'4", weight and height are of concern to me, but the 919 has never felt heavy to me. Despite not being able to flat foot the bike, I don't get the feeling that we're going to tip over at lights, which I have felt on heavier or less balanced bikes. It's very easy to manage, and corner with. It has the typical Honda "neutral" handling, which makes it very easy to ride, but still capable of having a hell of a lot of fun.

There were a few reports of it running a little wide in the corners, but that's easily fixed by raising the forks in the triple clamps by about 1cm. I did that as part of my initial setup, and have never had a problem. Anytime I run wide is because of pilot error.

I also picked the bike up in 2004 for about $5500, which is half of the new price in canada.

Oh! And in Canada, there's a "Come Ride with Us" program that Honda does, and you can take about a 2 hour test ride on their bikes. Perhaps there's something similar there? It's worth it to try out the bike before you buy it.
stormi

Dita - 91 Bandit 400 - SOLD
Blue - 02 Hornet 919 - Perfect Gentleman
02 KTM 200 EXC - Sold
08 VFR800 - Lowered 1.2"
17 KTM RC390
17 Husky TC85 converted to 105

Electrosport Charging System Test - it really works

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2007, 03:13:22 PM »
The SV1000 is in the same state of tune in both versions. The US got the naked one for a couple of years, but not anymore. The SV1000 motor is based on the 1 liter V-twin from the TL series sport bikes, but detuned from the TL specs. The TL-R was the most powerful, followed by the TL-S, then the SV1000 and the DL1000 V-strom is at the bottom of the horsepower pile of this engine family. So, like the Bandit, it can easily be souped up with OEM parts from it's racier brothers.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline erik

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2007, 06:08:46 AM »
Some other bikes that haven't been mentioned:

Kawasaki ER-6n
Suzuki GSR600
Hyosung GT650

I haven't ridden any of them, but they're all bikes I might consider for a next bike.

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2007, 10:10:53 AM »
Quote from: "erik"
Some other bikes that haven't been mentioned:

Kawasaki ER-6n
Suzuki GSR600
Hyosung GT650

I haven't ridden any of them, but they're all bikes I might consider for a next bike.

The first two mentioned aren't available in the US. We do get the faired "Ninja" version of the ER-6n though.

The Hyosung can be hard to find here in the States and when you do is priced awfully close to the SV650, so it makes it a tough sell when the magazines say their attention to detail isn't as high as Suzuki's.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline Bartjan

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2007, 05:07:57 PM »
Quote from: "Red01"

The first two mentioned aren't available in the US. We do get the faired "Ninja" version of the ER-6n though.

which is called the er-6f

the er-6n (and prolly f too) is a really easy to ride bike with some nice power (if your used to B4)
when it was just released i drove one for a week (my workplace borrowed it from kawasaki netherlands) and imo it would be a perfect upgrade for the b4. it also has a nice 2 cilinder sound when the throttle opens.
it has a very high "fun" factor (just like the b4)  :motorsmile:
1991 US Bandit 400

Offline gsxr400 racer

• I find things for a small fee....
  • Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • For all your disc golf needs...maybe i can race again someday.lol
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2007, 06:36:45 PM »
gsr 600
honda 919
vtr1000 superchicken
sv1000
tl1000s
sv 650
Id never buy a hysong!!!
aprillia tuano

hard to beat a honda
1988 gsxr 400 sp (sprint bike)
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.
has been a wera expert #610 lol

Offline Vidrazor

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2007, 11:36:57 PM »
Thanks for all your replies. I'll have to digest it all and see where it all goes. Looking into early 2k naked SV1000's, you can't help but be impressed. Twenty more horses and twenty less pounds than the 919s. As Borat would say: NICE! HIGH FIVE! :lol:  The 919s strike me as nicer-looking bikes, tho.

Offline CWO4GUNNER

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • GUNNER G. CWO4 WEPS USCG Retired
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2007, 12:46:11 AM »
Late reply. I like the reviews Cycle magazine gave to the 919 as the most refined. If your not 60 yet why not treat your self to the inline-4 experience in extreme mode. The SV1000 would be my other choice in your category followed by the SV650. But whatever you do (and this is just personal preference here) don't buy the V-Storm line unless your 60+ as in my opinion they are a little hard on the eye balls.