Author Topic: major excitement and minor downfall(first ride, but gas leak)  (Read 2887 times)

Offline scorpionsf

• TURBO TYPER!
major excitement and minor downfall(first ride, but gas leak)
« on: October 31, 2010, 08:40:15 PM »
well after MONTHS of work i finally got to ride my bandit. it was amazing. such a smooth bike. very comfortable. powerful enough to have a little fun, but nothing too insane.

i still have one little issue though. i have 2 gas issues. #1 is that the carb 3 float bowl overflows while the bike it sitting idle. i am not sure if it does when riding because i cant watch it, and it doesnt seem like anything is gas soaked after a ride. there is another lesser leak somehwere between carbs 3 &4 4 i think. i havent looked too hard into it, thats for later this week.

anyone have any clues?

thanks,
brandon

Offline pmackie

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Re: major excitement and minor downfall(first ride, but gas leak)
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2010, 01:15:23 AM »
Sounds like a stuck or leaking float needle valve in carb 3. You will need to dismantle the carbs and inspect the float needle. It could also be something stuck in the seat and/or a misadjusted float level.
Paul
2002-GSF600S, Progressive Fork Springs, B12 Shock,
SS Brake lines, EBC HH pads, Leo Vince Ex & Kappa bags.
Ex Bike Mechanic (late 70's), somewhat rusty
32 years in the Fuel/lubes industry(Retired)

Offline scorpionsf

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2010, 11:23:59 AM »
Sounds like a stuck or leaking float needle valve in carb 3. You will need to dismantle the carbs and inspect the float needle. It could also be something stuck in the seat and/or a misadjusted float level.
thats what i was thinking. should be able to look at it tonight.

Offline scorpionsf

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2010, 09:37:08 AM »
well...the orings were messed up that hold the floats in. got them replaced. fixed/adjusted all the float heights. replaced the washer thingys that work with the throttle needles. fired her up. runs like a CHAMP, great throttle response and power, but its still spewing gas really bad. it seems like its mostly coming from between carbs 3 & 4, not out of the float bowls themselves(although still a little i think)

so i guess does anyone have ideas where it could be leaking from? the float bowl gaskets are new and the seals between the carbs are new too

Offline Chris H

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2010, 03:26:19 PM »
Are you sure its not coming from the float bowl gasket.

Offline scorpionsf

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2010, 03:40:36 PM »
Are you sure its not coming from the float bowl gasket.
about 75% sure. it seems like its leaking from higher in the carbs.

adjusting float bowl heights and airscrews today. as well as replacing the orings in the carbs. will also most likely be cleaning the two choke ports in the carbs