Author Topic: Fork weight comparison.  (Read 2202 times)

Offline ovlovder

• Board Homesteader!
Fork weight comparison.
« on: April 26, 2010, 10:03:29 PM »
So, I swore I wasn't going to do a fork swap on my bandit, feeling like a late model inverted unit would add too much weight to the front end, but, I was swept away by the thought of a new black fork and dual radial calipers.  So I settled on the 06-08 r6 unit.  Dual 310mm rotors with radial mount calipers, and a black 41mm stanchion 50/52mm leg/upper with preload, rebound, high and low speed compression.  And I weighed everything I have so far.

New fork is 9.74kg, old one is 9.91 (with axles and stem/lower triple)  almost half a pound lighter.  New calipers are 1.14 (though there are now two) old one is 1.4.  Existing rotor is 310mm, weighs 1.86, Id assume the new ones to be very close.

So, totals are 15.42kg for new fork, axle, lower triple assy. two calipers and rotors, 12.87 for the old equipment.

I am assuming the new wheel should be slightly lighter than the original unit, but the 120 tire vs the 110 slightly more...  My existing stock wheel and tire weighs 8.22kg.  I have not purchased the new wheel yet, so, we will see...

Offline ovlovder

• Board Homesteader!
Re: Fork weight comparison.
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2010, 10:16:50 PM »
Oh, so, I found the weight for the stock wheel/tire I am using, it is about 8kg, vs the 8.22 bandit, so 21.9 for stock front end, 23.42 for new, or 48.28lbs vs 51.42.  Im ok with this, especially with the weight savings elsewhere. 

Offline tabby

• TURBO TYPER!
Re: Fork weight comparison.
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2010, 12:37:31 PM »
How much of that gain is unsprung weight. The lighter the bike, the lighter its unsprung weight should be too. It is a balancing act indeed, and if you have more unsprung weight, but it doesn't seem to be a bother, I guess it is a non-issue.