Author Topic: IT'S ALIVE!!!  (Read 2571 times)

Offline onenicebandit

• TURBO TYPER!
IT'S ALIVE!!!
« on: May 25, 2006, 11:26:10 PM »
Ok, after purchasing a 92' B400 at an astronomically low price I brought it home a little skeptical.  It hadn't been run in like 5 years and the shop was trying to tell me it had all these problems.  Well...I might have stolen the shop manual from said shop and worked on everything myself, today a week into owning the bike, it fired up for me and idled perfectly, that is until the carbeurator gas union started leaking because it was dry rotted.   I am freaking out, I can't wait to ride this thing, it only has 2500 miles, thank everyone so far for your help.  I didn't get a chance to ride it yet, but the day is coming.  I'm missing my tranny oil fill cap.  The shop must've bogarted it for another bike while it was in teh dead zone.  So far, one new battery, 4 new plugs, cleaned carbeurator out and fixed all hoses.  I believe the problem was that they had teh vaccum hose, fuel line and carb breather hose mixxed up, it was just dumping gas into the cylinders, it couldn't even use all of it and fouled the plugs.  Anyhoo, I'll keep y'all posted, thanks everyone!
06 KTM 250 SXF <My>
92 Bandit 400 <Runs>

Offline interfuse

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
IT'S ALIVE!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2006, 11:48:59 PM »
:congrats:

On the resurrection. 2500 miles, its pretty much new.
Mike

'91 GSF400
It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow.

Offline onenicebandit

• TURBO TYPER!
IT'S ALIVE!!!
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2006, 06:45:29 AM »
Damn straight, that's why I've wasted no time getting this hog firing.  I mean, 2500 miles...it's brand new.  I could ride if for 8k and sell it for 2 grand.   :thanks:  :banana:
06 KTM 250 SXF <My>
92 Bandit 400 <Runs>

Offline erik

• Board Homesteader!
IT'S ALIVE!!!
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2006, 08:45:54 AM »
you've done an oil and filter change as well eh?

It's almost criminal leaving a nice bike like the bandit unridden for so long... ;)
Good to hear you've got it going :)

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
IT'S ALIVE!!!
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2006, 08:59:06 AM »
:banana:  :bigok:

I'm assuming you meant that the vent and vacuum hoses were mixed up.  If that is the case and it was "dumping gas into the cylinders", you've got a bad petcock (very common) and likely bad orings in the carbs (also common).  The petcock is vacuum operated and if it was feeding ANY gas with the vac line disconnected, it's bad.  

Oh and not to be a safety weenie but, tires that are 5+ years old (or maybe 14!) and may have been sitting on one spot for years???  Be careful!

Good luck!
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline BrianM

• Board Homesteader!
IT'S ALIVE!!!
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2006, 06:09:01 PM »
Make that 2 of us now....

IT'S ALIVE!!!!!!!   Muuuhahahhaaaa....

The one gasket I was waiting on, arrived today...  so needless to say, I dropped everything (okay, read that as I got my lazy butt off the couch) and ran out to install my shiny new gasket!  Just a few minutes later, after I fussed with a few other things (removing and re-installing bolts, wiping away a smudge next to a big pile of caked on grease..  you know the stuff), I was putting oil back in and got just the result I was hoping for.  Oil Tight....  

Sooo...  off came the tank (Off With Her Tank!...  er, not the same ring as 'head', eh?  :P ), in goes my aux tank, the battery is connected, key on, thumb the starter and.....  nothing.  The dash lights blinked at me.  Oh yeah, it's on the sidestand, pull in the clutch and thumb the starter again to hear a *wirr*wirr*wirr*cough* just as I let off the starter.  Ohh, a cough...   sounds promising.  So, the thumb moves in for the push once again and Vroo*cough*ooom...  hrm, needs throttle even though the chokes on. Rev it up to 4k once, and a bellows of oil smoke comes out the tailpipe and blows right back into the garage with me (I had the bike right at the door, door open...  bloody wind).  So I pull the bike off the stand and roll it out into the light of day...  running.  Probably for the first time in Years.  

She wasn't happy about the long sleep and spat lots of oil smoke out the tailpipe for the first minute or so, and eventually the Choke caught on and the bike reved on her own up to 4k.  Kick that off and she almost dies...  opps, guess I have to readjust the idle.  I spent another minute or two just letting her idle, with the occasional rev to 6k, just to see how the smoke issue was doing.  I even tossed in a redline run or two in there.....

Eventually, I shut her off and dug up my Carbtune II sticks for a little carb synch.  Amazingly enough, they were Very close...  but I tweaked and fiddled just for the sake of doing it, and in the end mamanged to get her to idle very smoothly.

I'm all set for a test-ride now....   errr, except for having no brake pads and decade old, Very cracked tires...  :/  Damn, guess it'll have to wait till next month when I can afford both.  

But, chalk another one up to McCoy's MC Resuce Service...  ;)  Sounds like a peppy little thing, can't wait to take it out on a few shake-down runs.
Cheers,

BrianM ~ 1991 Bandit 400