Author Topic: My new GSF400  (Read 2294 times)

Offline Stealth

• Board Homesteader!
My new GSF400
« on: October 29, 2006, 09:11:11 PM »
Hey everyone, I just recently bought a GSF400 but it seems like its got a lean mixture. After high revs, when coasting down it sputters and I read somewhere that this usually means its lean and I also noticed that the Exhaust is not stock. How do I adjust the Air/Fuel mixture?
Heres some pics of my bike

Offline tomacGTi

• Board Homesteader!
My new GSF400
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2006, 09:20:59 PM »
That's kinda cool, a totally nearly bone-stock, unmolested and clean B4. A somewhat rare sight.

The exhaust is a Cobra F1s, I have one and it's nice to see what an almost-new one looks like. Mine is a far cry from that now. Apparantly with that can it wasn't necessary to rejet but the bikes are wikced-lean stock.

At the very least, you should at least look and see if the anti-tamper plugs for the mixture screws are removed for the carbs . Stock IIRC is 1 1/2 turns out from lightly seated. Most folks go to 2-3 turns depending (usually with a jet kit as well) but even a mostly stock bike can benefit from a slightly fatter mixture. I'd recommend 2 1/2 turns to start.

Have fun searching the forums, there's alot of information from what people have done before. PM Rob about jetting, he LOVES it...

-Randy

Offline Stealth

• Board Homesteader!
My new GSF400
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2006, 09:29:54 PM »
Thanks for the reply.
Where are the Anti-Tamper plugs located?

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
My new GSF400
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2006, 09:40:06 PM »
Hey man.  Welcome to the site.  Check out the member's forum.  There's a downloadable service manual there.  Mucho helpo!  

For the screws/plugs - look in the 600/1200 FAQ forum.  There's a post about putting in a jet kit.  It has pics for drilling out the plugs if still present.  It's applicable to the 400, too.
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7