Author Topic: New guy with engine troubles!  (Read 2153 times)

Offline ltan667

• Board Regular!
New guy with engine troubles!
« on: September 04, 2009, 05:03:03 AM »
Hey guys, my names Leon and I'm an alco....oh wait wrong intro lol, jk. I bought my B400 back in May and am in love with it! Unfortunately for me I only had two weeks of seat time before I was rear ended and low sided into a curb. And to make it worse, the guy or girl who hit me decided to run off.  :banghead:

Well long story short I finally am able to work up the money for some parts and got it running about a week ago! Here are a couple of pics for y'all.

These were taken before the accident. Now the right engine side cover, exhaust, and a little bit of the frame is scratched. Also when I wrecked, the steering stop seemed to have moved to the left side as I can't turn left as far as I use too but am able to go full lock to the right.

Now my problem with the bike now is that it won't rev above 10k rpms. Well actually only in neutral will it rev up to 10k rpms, in first it'll rev to about 7.5k rpms, and in every other gear it goes to about 7k rpms. It seems as if it is starving for fuel or something but it use to rev perfectly fine before I got in my accident.

Here's some info on the bike...It's a 91, has about 16k miles on it, fitted with a Cobra F1S exhaust (previous owner), supposedly has the Euro CDI (previous owner said it can now rev up to 16k instead of 14k???). Also the previous owner cut the top of the airbox open with a knife so it can get more air I assume? The mechanic I took the bike too said it makes the bike run like crap (which it did, never idled smoothly at all) since the carbs work off of vacuum so he patched it back up and ever since then the idle has been spot on.

The mechanic that I'm seeing now says since the previous owner put on the new pipe, I'll have to re-jet it now but I've read of others saying it could maybe be a cam chain of some sort? I also just changed the oil, coolant, and brake fluid.

Sorry for the long first post, just had to get my story and problem out there haha.

Regards, Leon.

Offline Wudy

• Board Homesteader!
    • Wudy.co.uk Freelance Web Development
Re: New guy with engine troubles!
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2009, 08:33:46 AM »
I can't help you mate,

But just thought I'd say welcome to the forum, and a nice example of a B4 you have :thumb:
I assume you didn't get hurt from the accident?

All the best for getting it sorted! Sure you will with the guys on here!
- '93 Jap Import B4 VVC

Offline interfuse

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2009, 11:44:25 AM »
Kinda sounds like its running lean... I'd check for air leaks around the airbox, carbs, air filter, etc...
Mike

'91 GSF400
It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow.

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2009, 12:19:27 PM »
Yeah - if it seems to be running normally at idle and lower RPMs, that probably rules out something electrical which leaves fuel or air flow as most likely.  Look for things that could have gotten messed up in your get-off or while reassembling whatever was taken off at time of repair.  Air leaks is a good place to start.  Also make sure your tank is venting.  Is the vacuum hose secure?  Kinks in the fuel line? 
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline ltan667

• Board Regular!
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2009, 05:06:20 PM »
Thanks guys I'll be taking the tank off later today and checking for kinks on the lines. Could it possibly be the fact that when the hole was covered up again, its not running up to par? Should I try removing the tape again?