Author Topic: Regulator  (Read 2866 times)

Offline TheKillerB

• Board Homesteader!
Regulator
« on: May 01, 2005, 12:11:20 AM »
A while back my b4 died in the mountains and I had to have it towed to my local shop.  The guys there told me that the battery was gone and that the charging system was charging high (I think they said around 13 volts).  They put in a new batter and told me to watch the top of the battery the first few times I ride and make sure everything is ok and monitor it regularly.  Well, today I went out to Fontana for the AMA Roadracing events and totally forgot about this (I don't ride the bike too often).  When i got home I smelled a sulfery smell and sure enough, there was acid coming out each side of the battery from that strip you put in after filling the battery.  I sprayed it down with a baking soda/water mixture and then consulted my manual for Voltage Regulator test procedures.  The manual says you have to use a Suzuki pocket tester to check it as other ohmmeters will give different resistance values.  So can I test it somehow without a Suzuki  pocket tester?  Is there any chance my problem is something other than the regulator?  I'm thinking of just replacing it and hoping the problem will be solved.  Any advice would be much appreciated.

John

Offline TheKillerB

• Board Homesteader!
battery shot too?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2005, 07:00:58 PM »
Also, this means that my battery is shot (since acid seaped out), right?  :sad:

Offline gsxr400 racer

• I find things for a small fee....
  • Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • For all your disc golf needs...maybe i can race again someday.lol
Regulator
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2005, 11:01:13 PM »
well it depends on how hot the battery got as plates warp when hot!
1988 gsxr 400 sp (sprint bike)
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.
has been a wera expert #610 lol

Offline red400

• First Post! Be Gentle!
Regulator
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2005, 12:28:30 AM »
check out this website for a complete troubleshooting guide:

http://www.electrexusa.com/electrosport_fault_finding.html

It seems like the 400 voltage regulator starts putting out too much voltage, which smokes the battery.  If you need a regulator, do not buy one from the website above.  Their regulator is a generic size and will not fit in the standard location.