Author Topic: Time for a new clutch?  (Read 2657 times)

Offline Zhi

• Board Homesteader!
Time for a new clutch?
« on: August 01, 2005, 01:41:08 AM »
Well, lately my bandit refuses to click into 3rd gear when cold, it's kinda like a false shift. I have never had to change a clutch on a bike. Would this be a  a symptom of a worn clutch or something else?

If it is the clutch, what is the quickest way to change it. Can I actually gain access to the clutch pack in the bascket without going through too much trouble?
Z

Living and riding in the S.F. Bay Area.

Offline todius

• Board Homesteader!
Time for a new clutch?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2005, 02:05:06 AM »
Changing a clutch on a bike is EASY.  You need to drain the oil and then remove the clutch cover on the side.  Put the bike in gear and have someone press the rear brake while you unbolt the pressure plate bolts.  Remove the pressure plate. Pull the clutch plates as a pack.  Check the metal friction discs for wear while they're out.  Slide the new discs onto the clutch basket and alternate between friction pad and metal disc until all are on there.  Put the pressure plate back on.  Put the springs on and tighten the bolts down to the proper torque.  Install the clutch cover with a new gasket.  Filler back up with oil and you're done.

However, the typical sign of a worn clutch would be SLIPPING when accelerating.   The engine will rev up but the bike won't actually increase in speed... feels kinda like a slipping rear tire but no sliding feeling.

Not going into third sounds more like one of these:  incorrectly adjusted shifter lever, shifting like a wussy and not pressing it into gear with enough force, not pulling the clutch lever in all the way (or an incorrectly adjusted clutch lever, or problems in the tranny itself.

My bets would be on a clutch not fully disengaging due to the clutch lever not being adjusted tight enough, or just being a general pansy when shifitng (no offense meant).  :stickpoke:

(You also said it happens when it's cold... that's proabably caused by the oil being cold/thick.  The oil will actually cause the clutch to grip in this situation.. letting the oil warm up, using a lighter weight oil, or switching to synthetic should resolve that problem.)
-Brent

Offline Maniac

• Board Homesteader!
    • http://www.bikepics.com/members/plan9/93bandit400/
Time for a new clutch?
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2005, 07:58:55 AM »
Quote from: "todius"
However, the typical sign of a worn clutch would be SLIPPING when accelerating.   The engine will rev up but the bike won't actually increase in speed... feels kinda like a slipping rear tire but no sliding feeling.

Not going into third sounds more like one of these:  incorrectly adjusted shifter lever, shifting like a wussy and not pressing it into gear with enough force, not pulling the clutch lever in all the way (or an incorrectly adjusted clutch lever, or problems in the tranny itself.

I'm with todius on this one, clutchs usually slip when bad. I used to have a similiar problem with second gear. After readjusting the clutch according to the shop manual, my false shift went away.

2008 GSXR-750

Offline Zhi

• Board Homesteader!
Time for a new clutch?
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2005, 11:20:37 AM »
Yeah, shifting like a wuss sometimes can do it, but I find that the little bandit's tranny is so awsome that it takes little effort to click up and down for gear change. First I guess I'll adjsut the shift. Then I'll go from there.
 :beers:
Z

Offline gsxr400 racer

• I find things for a small fee....
  • Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • For all your disc golf needs...maybe i can race again someday.lol
Time for a new clutch?
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2005, 11:59:27 PM »
the bandit is notorious for having a bad shift fork , wich one it is im not sure but all the motors i have the same shift fork is bad in them will look more and let ya know tho!
1988 gsxr 400 sp (sprint bike)
*  SELLER OF THE 442CC BIG BORE PISTON KIT FOR THE BANDIT 400,GSXR400, GK73 and 76.* And carb kits(orings)too. Email me from here.
has been a wera expert #610 lol

Offline Zhi

• Board Homesteader!
Time for a new clutch?
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2005, 02:35:40 AM »
Quote from: "gsxr400 racer"
the bandit is notorious for having a bad shift fork , wich one it is im not sure but all the motors i have the same shift fork is bad in them will look more and let ya know tho!

That'll be great, I am sure that such info will help others too. :beers:
Z