Author Topic: Time for a tire thread!  (Read 3214 times)

Offline zelig

• Board Regular!
Time for a tire thread!
« on: August 17, 2007, 01:54:05 PM »
I searched "BT45" and got zero hits, then searched "tires" and got two (!), including an FAQ that goes back to 2003.

Only reason I considered the BT45 was price and reputation: it was one of the few "good" tires in RD400 sizes back when I had one.  I liked the M1 sportecs when I had a TL-S, which naturally ate 'em like crazy.  I like the Pilot Powers on my SM.

I'd like to keep the Bandit in bargain land, and I'd like to try something different.  Commuting will be infrequent, and I want something sticky for trackdays, and I figure the 400 won't eat tires like a literbike.  Been thinkin' BT014, but I want to hear opinions based on firsthand experience with ANYTHING!

I guess another way to approach this would be to find out what handles/wears like a B4 yet is more common (SV650? GS500? Katana?), yielding a larger data sample.  Rim widths and optimum sizes could be a problem; I think I want to stick with 110/150 (rules out the BT014), though am open to suggestions.

So whatcha got?

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
Time for a tire thread!
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2007, 02:27:24 PM »
There are more than a couple tire threads in this forum.  Try searching "tire" (singular) maybe?

LOVED the Powers on my B4 and they come in the appropriate sizes (I went with a 60 series rear but still a 150).  I think I only did 2 track days on them and sold the bike with them still in good shape so I can't speak to their durability.  The tires I went through on the B4 were due mainly to commuter miles (flat in the middle).  I did NOT like the feel of the M1s at all.  I actually swapped them for the PPs while they were still usable.
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline BrianM

• Board Homesteader!
Time for a tire thread!
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2007, 03:47:44 PM »
Toss in another M1 disliker..  had them on a ZRX1100 and thought they  were some of the worst tires I've run.

Anyway, I'm an Avon lover.  They've done supurb at everything from racing (I'm a rolling chicane), track days, sporty street riding and commuting.  I rarely get less than 10k out of a rear, even on the ZRX which had 142rwhp.  I've got a set of discontinued Azarros on the B4 right now, and will gladly shoe on the new blend when the time comes.

Also, I'm doing everything in my power to retain the 110/150 sizes.  There's no need for anything larger, and I feel it detracts from the handling.  But that's just me.
Cheers,

BrianM ~ 1991 Bandit 400

Offline zelig

• Board Regular!
Time for a tire thread!
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2007, 03:56:05 PM »
Thanks, guys!  It's funny, searching "tires" didn't bring up near as many results as "tire" did. (?!)

Offline interfuse

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
Time for a tire thread!
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2007, 04:52:57 PM »
Another vote for PP's.
Mike

'91 GSF400
It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow.

Offline Bartjan

• Board Homesteader!
Time for a tire thread!
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2007, 05:14:17 AM »
havent tried PP's, but like M1's and ofcourse supercorsas
i usually get them cheap from a raceteam who used them, which means there is still plenty of tire left for lots of km's/miles on the road
1991 US Bandit 400

Offline tomacGTi

• Board Homesteader!
Time for a tire thread!
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2007, 10:17:53 AM »
My .02$ on the tires I've tried. I thought for sure with the smaller displacement that supersport tires would last forever on the bike. Not so, it uses up all of that 150/110 like it's big brothers 180/120. Proportionate I guess.

If you're commuting a great deal, expect these tires to square before you use them up entirely. Look towards a sport touring tire. If you're like me and it's more 80% twisties 20% commuting, then you should be fine.

Pilot Power: great tire, great life. I got just shy of 6k on the set when I had them. Towards the end of their life though, you could feel them giving up a little bit and they were pretty squirrelly in the wet by that time as well. Till that point, they were damn confidence inspiring. Front and rear wore evenly. Rode them at 28/32 PSI on the street.

Avon Viper: Another good tire with a slightly rounder profile versus the PP. Turn in was not as "falling down onto it side" but a little more predictable. Got 4500 miles out of the rear and the front still had a little left to go so this time around I replaced just the rear. Got them for a smoking deal so I thought I would give them a try. Rode these at 28.5/35 PSI.

My suspension settings have changed quite a bit since I've had the Powers, so next time around they'll get the nod once again. For reference sake, I'm 160 or so with gear and mostly aggressive street (no money for the track, sadly). 30mm sag in front/25mm in the rear.

I'm actually curious at the new Pilot Road 2's if they've got the stick of their PP cousins with better life...

-Randy

Offline erik

• Board Homesteader!
Time for a tire thread!
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2007, 08:24:50 AM »
I just got myself a set of Pirelli Sport Demons. They're cheap and seem to be sticky enough. I did a trackday in them on monday and didn't feel them slip (except for going over white lines in the wet...).

Offline GooseMan

• Board Homesteader!
    • http://www.soundwerksaudio.com
Time for a tire thread!
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2007, 10:54:02 AM »
I couldnt really find anything in the stock sizes 110/150, so I ended up with the Michelin Pilot Activ. They were a bit slippery at first, but once they got scrubbed in, theyre sticking pretty good!

I dont drag knees (yet) but I do ride a bit aggressively sometimes, and so far, so good!  :grin:
1991 Bandit 400

Offline Bartjan

• Board Homesteader!
Time for a tire thread!
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2007, 11:17:03 AM »
little trick to have less problems with new tires which arent scrubbed in is to "wash" them with thinner

today my front tire slipped while in a corner  :shock:
must have been some stones on the road cos it found grip again real fast and the pirelli dragon which i have at front sticks real fine to the road.
1991 US Bandit 400

Offline Herr Tod

• Board Homesteader!
Time for a tire thread!
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2007, 02:04:09 PM »
Can't say much about other tires but I've never had problems with new Pilot Powers, after 3 km's and 5 curves the protective film is gone. If you rub a finger over the tire and it doesn't make a squeeking sound it's gone. I love MPP (2CT), done 53000 km's (33000 miles) on them and they have never let me down. When they're hot they leave a trail through the entire corner, pretty cool to see 6 of those within 30 cm's of each other in every curve on my favorite stretch of road after a good ride :bandit: :motorsmile:

Offline Forde

• Board Homesteader!
Time for a tire thread!
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2007, 09:50:20 AM »
im using dunlop d207 sportmax tyres at teh minute, they were discontinued just after i bought them but u can still get them as lots of tyre places still have them in stock.  they are awesome.  they have been replaced by the d208 which im sure is just as good.

i had avon azarros before and didnt like them very much.
If you cant join them, beat them...