Author Topic: Top end run.  (Read 9291 times)

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
Top end run.
« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2006, 02:45:48 PM »
Did the bigger main help at all?

Another thought...  are you running stock gearing?  Maybe the bike is geared lower and not capable of faster speeds.  Like I said... just a thought.
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline andrewsw

• Board Homesteader!
Top end run.
« Reply #31 on: September 12, 2006, 02:52:07 PM »
the bigger main didn't seem to help, but I didn't have the best testing conditions, so we'll see. It did not, however hurt the situation and it seemed to pull stronger off the main in general.

huh. gearing. good point. I keep finding things that have been modded on this bike that the PO didn't know about. Worth a look. In fact, now that I think about it, that is a very real possibility. I was thinking I've been faster through the gears but not going all that fast. I'll check it too.

Offline Thief400

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • http://www.members.shaw.ca/cgard
Top end run.
« Reply #32 on: September 12, 2006, 07:37:28 PM »
the carbs are the 32 or 33 mm if they are 32's and the 93 cams thats all your going to get. another thing is your tach might be out of wack. mine is reading almost 1800 rpm to high

Offline andrewsw

• Board Homesteader!
Top end run.
« Reply #33 on: September 12, 2006, 07:51:06 PM »
yeah, 32mm carbs and 93 cams. well, that's fine with me really. I'm just looking to get it do what it will do withing reason and without serious mods.

for now.

so I can assume that although it might need a still larger jet (Like a 105 I think) that will only improve small amount at best up at that level? What do those cams do that the older ones don't? or vice versa I guess...

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
Top end run.
« Reply #34 on: September 12, 2006, 09:25:36 PM »
With all due respect, Chris - that's BS.  He's basically running the same set up as I was - 93 with 32mm carbs, full race system, modded airbox, K&N... and mine pulled VERY well past 10K and 100MPH.  If bigger mains you got >10k improvements in lower gears, keep going.  If you think about it, that makes sense - the higher gear you're in, the faster you're going, the more air is pushing through to the combustion chamber, the more fuel it needs.  Like I said, keep going.  Maybe de-snorkled, you have to go a lot bigger.  I never had the guts to pull the snorkle.  Tuning is a pain.
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline andrewsw

• Board Homesteader!
Top end run.
« Reply #35 on: September 12, 2006, 10:04:13 PM »
I still have doubts about the advantage of pulling the snorkel. seems to me that the snorkel, while it restricts the opening somewhat, probably also has a bit of a velocity stack effect. And its also got a nice radiused edge that should allow for smooth airflow. With the snorkel pulled, you just have a hole. I would think, especially at higher revs with consequent higher airflow, you might get some induced turbulence at the edge that could actually restrict air flow. But I am no rocket scientist :wink:

Tuning is fun, IMO, as its another excuse to go ride :grin:

So I've got so many conflicting ideas now its ridiculous. I may or may not be limited due to the 7 wire CDI. I may have reduced performance due to 93 cams. I may simply not be jetted right.

I'm pretty sure about the latter -- the 102.5 helped, but didn't solve the top-end run issue. I'm going to try the 105 and see what that does. I'm pretty confidant that I've got some room to go in the jetting, and PitterB4, if you were running a little rich with 110s, then my 105 is probably right on.  If that doesn't improve the top-end situation, then I'll play around with cutting that 7th CDI wire and see what that does. waiting to hear back from ChrisH (?) about his CDI mods. I can tell you I'll NOT be into swapping cams anytime soon... But I will be checking things like compression, cam timing (maybe its jumped a tooth?) and other stuff like that that may affect it.

Regardless, its clear that I'm not getting the top-end I should and will keep plugging away at it.

Oh, and the sprockets are stock, so that's not an issue.

There is one other issue that may be a factor. My speedo could be out of whack. One of the guys following me the other day called it 120. I pointed out that he was passing me... I can't imagine our speedos would differ THAT much anyway. And he was passing me pretty good, so I think he was just being nice to me :lol:

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
Top end run.
« Reply #36 on: September 12, 2006, 11:28:18 PM »
The 93 is different in many ways.  It does have different cams.  It also has different timing, different gearing and takes a plug one step cooler.  I don't think it's de-tuned, it's just differently tuned.

I've heard that explanation about the snorkel before.  That's one of the reasons I suggested in another thread that you spend $20 on a new box lid.  I don't have any personal experience with it to know for sure, tho.  

My bike being a little rich on top was a guess.  I never got it 100% perfect before I gave up and took it back to near-stock to sell it.  Up top, it was a real monster through all the gears.  Again, the wild card as compared to mine is the snorkle.
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline andrewsw

• Board Homesteader!
Top end run.
« Reply #37 on: September 13, 2006, 12:06:14 AM »
yeah I had no snorkel to start with. yee haw...

A

Offline andrewsw

• Board Homesteader!
getting there
« Reply #38 on: September 13, 2006, 09:25:04 PM »
So I've gone to a 105 main and position 3 on the needles. Running pretty good though its a touch rich on the needles I think. Doesn't stumble, but it gets a little soggy cruising with a steady throttle. might drop it to 2.5. Didn't get a real top-end run again, but it was pulling pretty hard up above 90. we'll see.

edit: that'll be a float adjustment for the sogginess, not a needle adjustment. That info from factory pro is great for this stuff....

Offline andrewsw

• Board Homesteader!
Top end run.
« Reply #39 on: September 20, 2006, 11:00:34 PM »
just to wrap up this thread in case anyone's looking.

mid range sogginess was worn emulsion tubes. Also the slide carriers were worn which was probably accelerating the emulsion tube wear. Replaced both of those (luckily the ones in my extra carbs were good!). So that helped the mid range, just off-idle cruise a lot. Also, I raised the floats (leaner) by 1mm to 16mm, which is opposite of what a lot of people do, but it helped as well. Roll-on and cruising is now great.

Main jet is still at 105, needle at 3 and it seems pretty good. I haven't had opportunity to do a real top end run again, but todays ride (real twisty :grin:) I did get it up to 100 a couple times with it pulling real good still, so I think its probably right, or close enough.

So thanks to all who helped get my girl rolling right!  :thanks: and I owe you some :beers: