Author Topic: New chain and sprocket help  (Read 3098 times)

Offline raincheck_uk

• TURBO TYPER!
    • http://becky.stead.fotopic.net
New chain and sprocket help
« on: May 22, 2005, 02:32:47 PM »
Im going to be replacing my chain and sprockets soon and just wondered if any one can suggest any makes/ brands? Or should i just let the guy at the garage order some for me as it will be him that fits them. Also i was just wondering where i can get hold of one of those automatic chain oiler thingys?? Im only a half pint and struggle to get my B4 on the centre stand so its a pain in the bum when it comes round to oiling the chain. I know some guys will say get some paddock stands, but it really wouldnt be worth the cash as i dont do any work on the bike myself apart from clean it.
Thanks guys
Becky
Becky.

It's too late to stop now.

The beast - 91' black GSF400 Bandit.

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2005, 03:58:36 PM »
Becky, check out the chain oiler survey thread in the "General" section.

http://forums.banditalley.net/viewtopic.php?t=821

The Scottoiler is probably the easiest to find in the UK, and is certainly the most popular/well known.

As for chains, I like DID's stuff best. A ZVM would be overkill for the B4, but the VM should do fine. I've got a VM and it's holding up great on my B12 - already outlasting the stocker by 5K miles and still looking good with 20K miles on it.

You might want to work on your c-stand technique, even a half-pint should be able to get a B4 on the stand without trouble if you do it right.

Getting it up on the centerstand thread
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline raincheck_uk

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2005, 06:30:41 PM »
Thanks for the info. I did have the D.I.D stuff in mind i just had no idea which product. I just read one of your posts about chain oilers and i checked out the loobman site. Seems cheap and straight forward for some one like me that just about knows where the spark plugs are!! Do you know any thing about them??
Becky
Becky.

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2005, 07:54:40 PM »
Well, they are the cheapest, and when you get the kit you'll see why. Not that they are bad, just nothing fancy and look like something you could cob up on your own. They are completely manual, so the chain only gets oil when you squeeze the bottle. To me, that's a plus over some units, like the Scottoiler, which will dribble oil on the chain whenever the engine is running, so you're lubing a chain that's not moving whenever the bike is stopped with the engine running, such as at stop lights.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline raincheck_uk

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2005, 09:26:27 PM »
Would you be able to suggest a product for me?? Origionally i was considering a scottoiler, but they are quite pricey. I have been looking on ebay and have found a few up on there a lot cheaper. I'd like one that oils both sides of the chain.
Becky
Becky.

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2005, 03:53:47 AM »
There's nothing wrong with the Loobman - it's just not as fancy looking as the other ones. See the chain oiler poll for more info. I don't have one installed on my bike, so I don't really feel comfortable recommending one or poo-pooing another one.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)

Offline Bandit

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2005, 12:21:51 PM »
I made my own Loobman chain oiler with a squeeze bottle, some tubings, pnuemetic Y connector and cable ties. It lubes both side of the chain nicecececely, total cost of fabrication is 5 bucks.
B4 Mod: K&N crankcase & air filter;gsxr750 rear shock;grounding wire;gsxr400 blinkers;Super 4 mirrors;fork protector;chain oiler;Hel front brake hose;Kappa windshield;Givi maxia box;fan/ headlight/hazard light switch;Stebel horn

Offline Farre

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2006, 06:22:43 AM »
this might well be a stupid question, but when do the ppl with Loobman squeeze the bottle? Every now and then when you're on the highway? or right when you start driving? or...?
Alex
'91 B4 almost bone stock:
GK73 Inner forks& Springs
B6 Rear Shock

Offline Red01

• Board Homesteader!
  • Are we having fun yet?
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2006, 06:34:39 AM »
The Loobman folks say to squeeze it when parked, just before taking off... but I see no reason why you can't squeeze on the go as long as you position the bottle in a spot you can get to on the roll.
Paul
2001 GSF1200S
(04/2001-03/2012)
2010 Concours 14ABS
(07/2010-current)