Author Topic: Riding lawn sewer  (Read 2581 times)

Offline Rejektid

• TURBO TYPER!
Riding lawn sewer
« on: October 18, 2010, 09:33:51 PM »
   So today one co-worker told me my B400 sounded like a lawnmower and another told me it sounds like a sewing machine. So here's the back story, I got a 1991 B400 free because the engine had a large hole in the lower case. After buying a used engine from a fellow BA member, and figured out why it wouldn't run. The new engine had a failed cam chain tensioner, so I installed another one and set the timing. Prior to installing the tensioner i had no compression on any cylinder, after I had about 90 psi after about 2 seconds of cranking. I checked valve clearance and they were within tolerance. I have been having carb problems, and wasn't getting fuel. After replacing a bunch of gaskets and diaphrams and the pilot jets and cleaning it repeatedly I've gotten it to the point where it will start consitantly.
   With all that said I still have some issues.
      Apparently it sounds like a sewing machine. It ticks pretty good at idle, and there is still a noise when revs up.
      The throttle has very little response until the bike has been running for several minutes.
      Oh and it smokes sometimes.
Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.

Offline tomacGTi

• Board Homesteader!
Re: Riding lawn sewer
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2010, 05:51:27 PM »
Properly adjusted valves will sound like a typewriter, just the nature of the beast. It'll quiet down once warmed up but still will sound like a little typewriter. If the noise is lower than the head, then you've got problems. The clutch basket may rattle slightly but should go away when you pull the clutch in.

Did you make sure to install a known good CCT?

With the valves in spec, engine timed correctly you should have good compression (142 to 206psi) if the new-to-me motor is any good. Barring that, do a wet test to see if it's the rings.

When and how is it smoking?

Offline Rejektid

• TURBO TYPER!
Re: Riding lawn sewer
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2010, 09:58:51 PM »
   I'm planning on running a compression test again. The first one was just to see if setting the timing changed fact that I had no compression on any cylinder. I'm not sure where the noise is coming from. Someone else at work suggested if I didn't replace the exhaust gaskets, I might get a similar noise. The CCT seemed good, much better than the one with the coil spring broken. I don't how long the used motor sat before I got it, but I'm pretty sure my bike hadn't ran since 94. It smokes at high rpm I think.