Author Topic: Ugh.. any one have a spare timing inspection plug?  (Read 1762 times)

Offline BrianM

• Board Homesteader!
Ugh.. any one have a spare timing inspection plug?
« on: May 06, 2006, 10:22:50 PM »
I finally took a day off from working on my house to fuss with the bike (just running through the normal stuff, valves, checking bolts for tightness, flushing the coolant, etc..)  Anyway, the PO butchered the ever living crap out of the inspection cover, either by Gorilla tightening the damn thing OR by using a standard screwdriver to get OFF the plug after someone else gorillad the damn thing on.  In any case, I had to ruin the thing to get it off.  

On a side note, the PO had mentioned that it was hard to start and didn't run all that well when warm..  well, No Shit Sherlock!  The damn intakes were SO tight I couldn't get my smallest feeler guage under 3 of them, and the forth I was Just able to get the smallest through.  The exhausts were similarly tight too....  combine that with carbs that were beyond nasty with green sludge, and it's a wonder the bike ran at all.  Probably why it only has 11.5K miles on it in 16 years.  The coolant was also, very clearly, not diluted...  At least the motor oil looked clean (though I wonder if the filter had ever been changed, it was WAY to nasty to have been changed with the oil).  And on the filter note, the WIX filter was $6 and came with the o-ring.

Just need that inspection plug, some fork seals (oops, forgot those on my big order), brake pads and tires to get it on the road for some shake-down rides.  Chain is shot, though not kinked yet, so it'll last a little bit....  slow going with a budget and LOTS of honey-dos.  But it'll be nice to finally get on the bike sometime in June.
Cheers,

BrianM ~ 1991 Bandit 400