Author Topic: Upgraded calipers?  (Read 4837 times)

Offline JmuRiz

• Board Homesteader!
Upgraded calipers?
« on: March 18, 2009, 11:49:36 AM »
Does anyone know if there is a bolt on caliper upgrade for the B4?

I have seen a Tokico 6-pot caliper modification for the Honda Hawk GT and was wondering if there was something like that to do as a bolt-on upgrade for the B4.

Any ideas?

Or would just putting on some HH pads do well enough?
Nathan

'91 GSF 400
'90 FZR 400
'65 Ducati Falcon 80

Offline PaulVS

• Board Homesteader!
Re: Upgraded calipers?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2009, 12:06:26 PM »
I don't know about the 400... but on most bikes, an upgrade to stainless steel braided brake lines & good pads (DP or Carbone Lorraine) makes a much bigger improvement in braking than new calipers ever will... unless the calipers actually need a rebuild.

Offline tomacGTi

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2009, 12:16:12 PM »
Been there, doing that..

Start with an HH pad upgrade first and stainless lines and make sure you break them in properly. This is the minimal cost option, if that isn't enough for you (for 90% of people it is)...

Go to SVRider.com and Blair from SV raceshop makes a GSXR caliper adapter so you can mount GSXR four pots or six pots to the front. Six pots are all for show and have proven to not have the same pinch that the four pots do, that and bleeding them can be a bitch. But if you like the bling....

I've been running the four pots for two years now with very few complaints, here are some caveats:

-You have to buy a pair of adapters. Sell the other side on the GS500 boards with your other caliper that you won't use to recoup your loss.

-You usually can only buy a pair of GSXR 750 calipers. See above.

-You can use your existing master cylinder but I would recommend upgrading to a stainless line for better feel. These brakes have much more grab and power than the two pots (stock). You can use the stock rotor as well, just be advised to keep a closer eye on it because the more aggressive setup will wear it faster.

-No, it's not as good as a twin caliper/rotor setup but is 100% less of a PIA than doing one as well. It's pretty damn good though and I can late brake with the best of them. Would double disc be better? Yes, but this is significantly easier.

-With the improved brakes, you will figure out the stock suspension sucks, like really sucks. Yup, it's a gateway drug to modding the bike further, might as well sack up and budget money for a new shock, emulators, springs, oil and seals while you're at it...

All in all, a worthwhile mod IMO. Depending on how much you pay, it can get spendy. I know the brackets cost me about $100 and calipers close to the same but like I said, you can offset the cost by selling the other side to some GS500 homies. Certainly has more power and feel but take your time centering up the caliper over the rotor to avoid drag. I used some stainless washers I had from another project. Glad I bought this stuff when I had a little more money than now (which is very little!).

No problems on the one track day I did last year. Had consistent feel and power and no issues braking from 100+ lap after lap. Stoppie capable and great modulation, I used up the stock Suzuki HH pads that came with them and am now running EBC HH. The EBCs are a little more wooden but have more bite so take that with a grain of salt.

-Randy

Offline JmuRiz

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2009, 02:59:58 PM »
Good info, thanks, I'm sure stainless lines and some better pads will do me fine.

I hear your warning about the front end, that'll probably be next on the list.
Nathan

'91 GSF 400
'90 FZR 400
'65 Ducati Falcon 80

Offline Chris H

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2009, 02:17:12 PM »
Hi,
I got jap 290mm twin discs so carnt compare, but could you fit the Gs500 fork/fork lower to the other side of the single disc B4 and have twin 298/310mm discs (not sure of your diameter).

Offline tomacGTi

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2009, 07:37:44 PM »
Trust me man, we in the US wished we got the double disc stock so we're stuck with what we've got.

GS 500's are 37mm forks IIRC and also the RH side of the wheel isn't drilled and tapped to accept another disc so that's something else that has to be done.

Barring a complete fork swap and then figuring out the mounting speedo/guage cluster, there is no easy way to get a twin disc setup in the states. Several guys on the board have done USDs and I think Thief is running a Katana front end on his.

Offline VW_NUT

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2009, 06:57:24 PM »
FWIW, if you are looking for cheap stainless steel lines the over the wheel line from a Ducati 749/999 which is about 18" long works with a little bit of grinding of extra metal on the caliper. 

You need 2 lines if you keep the stock piece that mounts to the forks, but I had less than $40 for 2 sets from ebay. 

Offline Chris H

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2009, 03:47:53 PM »
Its a shame they are not 41mm. Knowing how Suzuki share parts between models i bet there is a fitment and i thought the single disc wheel just had a cover over the side that was not used? so as you could swop and change sides.

Offline Thief400

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
    • http://www.members.shaw.ca/cgard
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2009, 07:45:37 PM »
I just took a big leap and found a 750 Katana front end on ebay and installed it. Solved many
problems, much better forks, dual front brakes with 4 piston calipers, and clipons. If you do a search I'm sure you can find my original post from a few years ago. If I remember I paid 150 for the complete front end.