Author Topic: another new B4 owner.  (Read 2390 times)

Offline erik

• Board Homesteader!
another new B4 owner.
« on: February 16, 2006, 05:56:40 AM »
Picked up my 1993 Bandit 400 last weekend. Finding this board helped me decide to get it, it's great having all this information available for it.
My other bike is a Yamaha FZX250 Zeal (which I've had for the 2 years I've been riding) and there is next to nothing available on it, certainly no forum or manual online.
I want to do a little bit of work on the Bandit before riding it, it needs a new drive chain (bad tight spot + joiner clip missing), I want to check the valve clearances and the front brakes need some seeing to as the end of the lever is bent and they feel very mushy. Those 4-pot calipers and twin discs look very promising though.  :grin:
I'm really looking forward to getting to know it, initial impressions from riding it home show it handles fairly different to the Zeal.

Cheers,
Erik

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
another new B4 owner.
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2006, 02:16:14 PM »
:welcome: Erik!  Good luck with the new ride!

If you don't have one already, I suggest you go over to the Members forum in this BBS and d/l a copy of the manual.
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline Zhi

• Board Homesteader!
another new B4 owner.
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2006, 11:04:32 PM »
If the brake lever is cast aluminum, you migth want to consider replacing it.:)
The previous owner of my bike bent the lever and decided to straighten it rather than replace it. He never mentioned this to me, and one day as I pulled into my garage,  the brake lever just fell to the ground as squeezed it. :shock:

PS Welcome to the board. :beers:
Z

Living and riding in the S.F. Bay Area.

Offline erik

• Board Homesteader!
another new B4 owner.
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2006, 02:49:25 AM »
Quote from: "PitterB4"
I suggest you go over to the Members forum in this BBS and d/l a copy of the manual.

Got it before I bought the bike :grin: (thanks heaps to Russtang for hosting it)

Quote from: "Zhi"
If the brake lever is cast aluminum, you migth want to consider replacing it.:)
The previous owner of my bike bent the lever and decided to straighten it rather than replace it. He never mentioned this to me, and one day as I pulled into my garage,  the brake lever just fell to the ground as squeezed it. :shock:

Wow. Lucky it happened in the garage!
It's just the end of the lever that is bent on my bike, so if it does break, it will be at the end which isn't quite so critical. I'll do a bit of reasearch to find out the best way to bend aluminium. I know that simply bending it cold can weaken it, I have to figure out if heating it will help.

Offline Herr Tod

• Board Homesteader!
another new B4 owner.
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2006, 01:50:13 PM »
I'd get a new one for $20 :wink: Keep your old one as spare part.