Author Topic: various weights of the bandit.  (Read 3729 times)

Offline albertinhouston

• Board Homesteader!
various weights of the bandit.
« on: November 04, 2012, 12:19:16 PM »
Looking through of my old posts. Thought this might be worth putting back up. This is probably 5 years old if not more.

I stripped down the the 400 I bought the other day. w/ no motor the rolling chassis weighs 200lbs.  I was shocked about that. So I started thinking. How can I reduce weight on the frame and what is left? This all comes from me thinking about putting a dr 650 motor in the bandit frame.  THIS WILL BE A NON PASSANGER BIKE.
Gs500 rear swing arm is short that the b4.  This will not shave that much weight off but will give it a shorter wheel base.   I can still use the bandit rear rim with out any problem. OR.. I could use a gs rim and save weight through a smaller rim and tire. 
Next is the from end. I don't have a weight on a gs front end but I'm pretty sure its lighter. It's not a direct bolt on.  I'd have to change out the stem. I don't know if this is a step in the wrong direction but it's a thought. the brake power will be the same since that are the same. 
 I will cut off all the extra tabs I do not need
 any idea about the foot peg bracket mounts?  maybe even the heavy part of the frame in the area by the pegs.
and other place you can thing of to shave some weight?

I do realize i'm going to add some weight when I make the motor mounts.
after it's done I need the bike to definatelly be  under 300 lbs(dry) if not 275(thats my goal). and 250 is my dream. I know its a dream.

couple of weights
gs 500 front rim with tire -22 lbs (should be the same a a bandit)
rear gs w/tire -  28
rear b4 w/tire  - 31.5
91 gsxr 750 rear rim w/ tire- 34lbs
bare front tire race comp. 120 -10lbs
bare rear tire race comp 180    -12.4
bare slick                     160    -12.6
bandit front end (forks,tripples rim,tire,complete brakes,fender with brkts- 54lbs.)
91 gsxr swing arm -9.5 lbs (bare)
91 gsxr swing arm with complete rear brakes -12.5
 I don't know if any of this will help any one with anythink but like I said I'm bored!!!!!

b4 swing arm length: center of front axel to closest point the rear axel can go.
gs is 1" shorter (direct bolt on)
91 gsxr 750 is 2" shorter (Not so direct bolt on.)
 please post any thoughts on additional weight savings. I would like to keep the tail section uncut so I can run the bandit tail fairings I like the looks of it.
albert

Offline bullet5

• Board Homesteader!
Re: various weights of the bandit.
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2012, 06:34:59 AM »
Hi there. Good work so far matey. :thumb:

I'm looking to undertake a similar project with my b4, however I'm uping the power & handling at the same time.

I've got a '93 vvc, and have stripped it back to the frame to rebuild. I've so far bought a braced gsxr 400 ali swingarm to replace the standard steel one, this is both lighter than the stock one, is stiffer, and comes an inch or two shorter, so the wheelbase shortened quite a bit. This is said to have a great effect on handling, and along with the -1 front sprocket that came with the bike, it should pop power wheelies all day long once I've finished with it :trustme:

Another bit I've just bought is a gsxr 750 (pre srad) usd front end. Again this should offer far superior handling, along with the stiffer springs. I've got plans for a new tail section, but the bandit's rider seat will remain untouched, as I'm not altering the subframe too much just yet.

Apart from the above, the mirrors, and indicators won't see light of day again, and nor will the heavy standard headlight. Not quite decided what I'm going for yet, but I'm replacing it with something :rofl: That will also mean no heavy steel brackets to hold it in place.

The pillion pegs and hangers are also quite a weight, so I've removed both of those and will more than likely remove the brackets on the subframe to safe a tad more weight, and clean up the lines a tad. The standard exhaust system is very heavy, even with an aftermarket can. This has been solved with a Vance & Hines supersort system. It's easily half the weight if not more so. :beers:

Another little item I couldn't get my head around was the rider peg hangers. Those plates on the side of the frame are huge and the added weight is shocking. Needless to say these shall be thrown out too, and some suitable rearsets shall replace them.

After that lot I was beginning to find it hard reducing the weight any further, however there are still a few areas. :motorsmile:

The next big one is the battery. The motor is only a 400cc IL4 so doesn't need anything that big to crank it over. A quick trawl through eBay and you'll find loads of lightweight replacements, which in comparision weigh almost nothing.

All the plastics on the bike will at somepoint be made out of carbon fiber. Again, it's not a huge weight saving, but when it's added up it does make quite a difference.

God that was a long post. Hope there aren't too many errors.
All the best,
Bullet5.

Offline Squishy

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2012, 05:27:21 PM »
Wow, I never thought someone would think the b400 needs some weight reduction  :bigok:.
How are you going to increase power? I wouldn't want -1 on b400.. already too much revs on the highway!! I'd rather get +1 front instead

Offline bullet5

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2012, 05:55:14 PM »
Haha, yer that's the reason I bought the B4 in the first place, as it's about 70kg lighter than my B6, so instead of shaving that much weight off the B6 (impossible), I thought I'd have a crack at buying a 400 and turning it into a twisty muncher :motorsmile:

But as with all things, enough just isn't enough, especially when you think that with a few simple modifications you can dramatically decrease weight and increase power output from stock :grin:

For the extra power, I've invested in the full single skin race exhaust system (which incidently is a hell of a lot louder than the stubby beowulf slip-on on my B6 :trustme: ), and some new airfilters shall be added. I want to loose the airbox due to weight and the amount of space it takes up, however removing it shall alter the power outputs in favour of high end horses instead of low down grunt. After I've decided on a final setup she'll get a nice long tune up at the dyno center to get those carbs tuned right.

Seen as mine is the VC I can't just throw in gsxr cams to get more power higher up the revs, however reprofiling is an option, but one that would be very costly due to the extra cam lobes. :duh:

If I can find an ignition advancer then that shall be added to the list for the improved throttle responce, and items like the restriction wire shall be removed for that little extra pull in the top gears.

There really isn't a lot I can do preformance wise on the B4, however I have been playing with the idea of fitting a low boost turbo at some point in the future :iddi:

As for the front sprockets I've got two at the moment, and if my memory is correct, then one is standard and the other a -1. I'm not too bothered about highway rpm's as the bike will be for having a lot of fun in the corners/trackdays and showing off (not wheelies and burnouts, more park up and chat). My B6 & Virago 535 can deal with the commuting and touring. This will purely be a toy. :thumb:

Bullet5.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2012, 06:02:16 PM by bullet5 »

Offline Squishy

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2012, 06:05:25 PM »
however I have been playing with the idea of fitting a low boost turbo at some point in the future :iddi:
Please, please do.
And make pictures. Oh and videos.
Lots

Offline bullet5

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2012, 06:22:25 PM »
Well I have seen this, but I'm unsure if it is actually a 400 or a 1000, as there are a few copies of this on the net with different titles.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvWGaxIWe28

Either way it looks like some fun  :grin:

Offline Squishy

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2012, 06:53:24 PM »
Well I have seen this, but I'm unsure if it is actually a 400 or a 1000, as there are a few copies of this on the net with different titles.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvWGaxIWe28

Either way it looks like some fun  :grin:
Ye, I know that one. Unfortunately that's definitely a 1000 ;). Would be something if a 400 would pull like that
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtVS__LpfNg

Offline bullet5

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2012, 07:47:16 PM »
Yer I thought I was dreaming a little bit too far with that one :bigok:

It would still make a great project if I could find a suitable turbo and funds/time to get one setup.
Anywhoo, vance & hines for now, turbo later (possibly) :grin:

Offline albertinhouston

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2012, 10:59:30 PM »
look at a volvo car turbo. Its a twin turbo set up the turbos are very small. Perfect for the 400.
I think its an s80 model
« Last Edit: November 05, 2012, 11:01:17 PM by albertinhouston »