Author Topic: Fuel Filter Question  (Read 3290 times)

Offline SoEazy

• TURBO TYPER!
Fuel Filter Question
« on: October 30, 2013, 04:52:11 PM »
Hey guys. I've got a quick question about fitting a fuel filter on my 400. I've got a Pingel fuel valve which replaced the factory petcock and the filter that was attached to it. The tank still has a bit of sediment in the bottom, so it needs some type of filtration. I've fitted an inl-ine Bosch paper type filter that seems to catch all the trash. The problem is I can't keep the filter full. The bike will run out of fuel when sitting in traffic or trying to accelerate. I can let it rest for 5 minutes or so and it will refill and restart. The filter is somewhat horizontal, but vertical seems to be out of the question with the airbox in the way. Anyone done this with success? Any suggestions for a better filter or another way?

There's no such thing as a free bike.

Offline andrewsw

• Board Homesteader!
Re: Fuel Filter Question
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2013, 01:43:05 AM »
I've had no luck getting an inline filter to flow enough fuel under just gravity. I tried a couple of different kinds -- paper and one that's a plastic filter element in a dis-assemblable glass tube. Neither worked for me. I'd love to hear of one that flows well enough to work.

A

Offline SoEazy

• TURBO TYPER!
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2013, 10:05:24 AM »
I think I am going to try one of these Russell filters. They cost less than $20 from Jegs. Their site says they are good for engines up to 300hp, so the Bandit should be no problem. The only issue that remains is where to mount it....

There's no such thing as a free bike.

Offline andrewsw

• Board Homesteader!
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2013, 11:37:40 AM »
The problem is that many automotive fuel filters are intended to be used with a fuel pump of some kind or another. Gravity doesn't provide enough force to flow enough fuel. But, I'll be happy to learn that it works!  :grin:

Offline interfuse

• Site Supporters
  • Board Homesteader!
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2013, 06:10:34 PM »
From what I recall the plastic cone filters with the bronze elements are good for gravity feed. I think a few people on the board have used the with success. I bought one but have never installed it because the one inside the petcock is good enough for me.

There's some good info here:

http://cgi.stanford.edu/~sanjayd/gs500/Upgrades/FuelFilter
Mike

'91 GSF400
It's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow.