Author Topic: new member.  (Read 2690 times)

Offline mickdee

• New user!
new member.
« on: December 15, 2005, 10:18:54 AM »
Hi everyone,ive had me B4 since jan. this year and its been charming,frustrating,reliable and unreliable too but always great fun.From what i gather its the same for all B4 owners.Its the same as when i got it but now id like to start on some mods.Believe it or not parts are handy enough to get here so i think i shouldnt have any problems.Im wondering tho is the gearbox in the GSXR400 its based on different from the B4s and should i change it,or is my top speed(112m.p.h.-180k.p.h. absolute max) governed by the carburettors?She redlines at 13,000 r's but wont pass 12,500 anyway.I check these sites regularly and always enjoy the tales and queries on them and i really appreciate the info,naturally id be only too happy to help other users too so all the best and of course...thanks, mickdee.
woah,how did that happen?

Offline Racerruss-ducati

• Board Homesteader!
new member.
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2005, 10:44:45 AM »
Hello Mickdee and welcome.  I hope you find the forum as informative as I have.

As for your question, please follow the following link http://forums.banditalley.net/viewtopic.php?t=1696&highlight=top+speed+gear.  This subject has come up a few times in the past and this is the best thread I found.

Again, welcome. :bigok:
'96 Ducati 900 SP street
'04 Yamaha R6 track

Offline PitterB4

• Administrator
  • Board Homesteader!
new member.
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2005, 11:00:34 AM »
Hey Mickdee.  :welcome:

Yeah Russ, that's a good post.  

112 top speed?  Is that indicated on the speedo or checked with GPS or something.  If the former, that's a little short I think.  If GPS, that sounds close.  m/c speedos are intentionally optimistic and I think the "real" top speed with stock gearing is ~115.
Rob
Bikeless!
'93 Bandit 400 - SOLD
'98 Honda F3 Track Bike - SOLD
'98 Kawi ZX-6R Street Bike - SOLD
NESBA #87 - RETIRED
'00 Gary Fisher Kaitai
'09 Bianchi Via Nirone 7

Offline mickdee

• New user!
new member.
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2005, 11:25:45 AM »
Hey Racerruss,thanx for the reply! I read in a reply a few months back that the GSXR400 was 'in a higher state of tune' i.e. longer lift cams and bigger(?)carbs,so i wondered if there was different ratio gears too,do you think i should go the carb,cam route? I dont believe B4s have limiters,just that carbs can be modified so much they'll all give different top speeds.That said,for a bike that pulls consistently(only flat spots when shes cold) all the way to the top, 112m.p.h. seems a bit frugal to me.My B4s a 95 jap import with 18,000mls.cheers bud.
woah,how did that happen?

Offline Racerruss-ducati

• Board Homesteader!
new member.
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2005, 04:53:50 PM »
There are a few forum regulars (especially GSXR400 racer, AKA Jay) who have a lot of experience with engine hop ups.  They can direct you better than I to the best 'bang for the buck' mods.  

Certainly, if top speed is your concern, aerodynamic improvements will make a big difference, even things like clip ons and rear sets will help punch a smaller hole in the air.  There are several options for full or partial body work that should help too.

Good Luck.
'96 Ducati 900 SP street
'04 Yamaha R6 track